• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Freezing Apple Pie

Kim Shook

Mr. Kim and the kid did some apple picking while they were in Charlottesville this past weekend for football. I have a big box of apples. I am going to make some pies, using this recipe.

The question is: do I bake the pie first, then freeze or freeze it before baking?

Note that you slightly cook the apple slices before assembling the pie.

Ta! Kim

When I do this I go directly into the oven from frozen, at the same temp. the original recipe calls for, and I think for about 10 minutes longer. Obviously, the 10 minutes is going to depend on your oven and temperature. Also, I don't brush with the egg wash until right before baking, rather than before freezing.

Edited to add: I've never tried keeping pies like this for a long time - a week or two at most. I don't know how well they will hold up over the long term, but make sure that once they are frozen solid you re-wrap them very thoroughly.

Edited by Chris Hennes (log)

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

What other pies freeze well? I am thinking of baking ahead for Thanksgiving this year. Would a pecan pie freeze well? What about pumpkin? Or would the egg custards of these pies get wonky?

Thanks so much!  Now, one more question (or maybe its two):  I assume that when I cook it, I do not thaw - correct?  How much longer and at what temperature? 

Thank you again!

Kim

Check out this thread on pie fillings starting at post 30, for discussions on freezing apple pies before baking.

Ilene

Pies with dairy in the filling do not freeze well, but I've done fruit and nut pies of all kinds. You can really get a jump on your thanksgiving baking by making ahead. I did all my pies in October last year which saved a huge amount of time.

...wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --Alexander Pope

you can make the filling and shell for pumpkin pie in advance (freeze the crust and just refrigerate the filling), and then just assemble it on turkey day. same goes for pecans, although don't add nuts to filling.

i sometimes bake then freeze, then thaw uncovered at room temperature and then pop into the oven for like 10-20 mins to crisp the crust a bit...works well with fruit pies, double crust.

Stephanie Crocker

Sugar Bakery + Cafe

This works extremely well with probably any fruit pie that doesn't have dairy (except the butter) in the filling. I used to do this all the time when we lived in a house with an apple tree. And, the pies would be in the freezer -- well wrapped -- for several months while we went through them bit by bit. I found it generally took about 20 minutes longer to bake and, if the crust was getting too brown, I would tent it loosely with foil. I learned about this method from my old Fanny Farmer book eons ago and it hasn't failed me yet.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

• 1 year later...

What about pies with a teeny weeny bit of dairy? I want to make a pecan tart, the filling of which calls for 3 tablespoons of cream (cream, honey, brown sugar, and butter are boiled together), and then I want to freeze most of it.

Am I asking for trouble?