• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sarah Weiner on Arte; what's the deal?

John Talbott

This is a truly dumb, make that uninformed, question from someone who genuinely wants to know the answer. Who is Sarah Weiner? (yes, I’ve Googled her) and why is she treated like a culinary goddess/genius on Arte in “Les Aventures de ……” I only watched a smidgen tonight but I think I’m missing:

1. the back story,

2. the real story, or

3. the story.

Is she the new M. F. K. Fisher, Julia Child or Floyd or is this pure hype?

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

This is a truly dumb, make that uninformed, question from someone who genuinely wants to know the answer.  Who is Sarah Weiner? (yes, I’ve Googled her) and why is she treated like a culinary goddess/genius on Arte in “Les Aventures de ……”  I only watched a smidgen tonight but I think I’m missing:

1. the back story,

2. the real story, or

3. the story.

Is she the new M. F. K. Fisher, Julia Child or Floyd or is this pure hype?

That Sarah Weiner?

I think John's Sarah Weiner also has a career as an Austrian singer - or maybe she is a third one. She is on Arte again tonight (À l'école des crustacés!) so perhaps things will become clearer - does she have an Austrian accent in French?

Edited by kerriar (log)

Sarah Weiner has a restaurant here in Berlin. I believe it is Ausrtian based cusine and very casual. She is on a cooking show here in Germany as well. I caught an episode of her Arte show. It wasn't my style, and I was surprised that she is doing a show about culinary adventures in France, but anything that gets Germans more interested and educated about the culunary world outside of Germany is ok by me.

I think John's Sarah Weiner also has a career as an Austrian singer - or maybe she is a third one. She is on Arte again tonight (À l'école des crustacés!) so perhaps things will become clearer - does she have an Austrian accent in French?

I'll try to listen at halftime.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris