• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wild duck/goose hearts and liver

sp1187

well the fall hunitng season is upon us here in Michigan.

I've been lucky enough to get a few birds.

I was wondering what the rest of you do with the hearts and livers.

I've been cooking mine the night I get the birds.

I soak them in milk for 20-30 minutes, cut them into bite size morsels and saute'

them in butter to medium.

any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

respect the food, something died to provide

Lotto winner wanna-be

Paté? You would have to have a decent amount of them though. Use the liver for the main part of the paté and the hearts leave whole for garnish (or in half). That way when you cut slices of the paté you'd have cross-sections of heart at the center of each slice.

Wild Canada Goose livers simply do not have the fat of a domestic goose. You can make a pate but need to add a LOT of pork or other fat to where the wild goose becomes lost in the pate. Iv'e been hunting them for many many years and the best is simply fried in butter. -Dick

Wild Canada Goose livers simply do not have the fat of a domestic goose. You can make a pate but need to add a LOT of pork or other fat to where the wild goose becomes lost in the pate. Iv'e been hunting them for many many years and the best is simply fried in butter. -Dick

I agree. My DH is a big wild game hunter and the only way we eat our wild goose livers is friend in butter. It's such a treat when he brings home a goose.

I'm currently trying a new colon cleanser and I feel great.

Are you drinking enough water ?

• 5 weeks later...

I cook wild duck a lot. tonight it's teal. I'll brown and braise in a bottle of merlot and some trinity. I've never fried them, but we sometimes breast them and grill. I LOVE ducks and geese and would love to know how everyone else cooks them. There's always gumbo, of course. I pot roast well stuffed geese and cook with turnips. Hot rice and it smells like hunting season. I had a thought to brine some geese along with the turkey and see how they cook up. Anyone tried that? I hate to be the first, but I'll give it ago. Can't hurt.

edit: the usual spelling problems

Edited by highchef (log)

any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Dirty rice: Sautee some chopped onion, peppers, celery, garlic, . Add duck liver and hearts season with worcesteshire salt and cayenne pepper, puree. Mix with cooked rice. Garnish with green onions and cilantro.

Duck liver mousse: Livers cooked medium rare with cubed pork fat, thyme, garlic, salt and pepper. Flambe with Cognac, add port. Chill(needs to be very cold to prevent breaking) run through food processor with butter then cream. Pass through sieve.

Sauteed with bacon, parsley and thyme served on a crostini.