• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Matching cocoa butter percentage

David J.

I've got a couple bags of Callebaut C811NV when I wanted 811NV. The only difference is that the C811NV had 3% less cocoa butter so I should be able to add it back to achieve the same viscosity.

The problem is that I don't know precisely how much cocoa butter there is in the 811NV formula (just the total cocoa mass), so I can't calculate it. I'm looking for how many grams to add per kg of chocolate.

I wrote the USA representative for Callebaut but didn't get an answer.

Does anyone here know?

hi!  The "C" means 3% less cocoa butter, so if you know the % of cocoa butter, you can add the extra 3 %. Here you can see: http://www.callebaut.com/en/49

I don't know if this is what you need...

http://www.callebaut.com/en/48  for  811NV

I've read that page, but unfortunately it lists only the total cocoa mass and not the cocoa butter. I can't apply the 3% that number because I don't have it.

Silly question but if its 3% less cocoa butter is that 3% of the total mass or 3% of the cocoa butter mass. For example, if you had 1000g of chococlate, is the 3% less cocoa butter just 30g of cocoa butter?

Silly question but if its 3% less cocoa butter is that 3% of the total mass or 3% of the cocoa butter mass. For example, if you had 1000g of chococlate, is the 3% less cocoa butter just 30g of cocoa butter?

I was told by JPW that it is 3% less cocoa butter than the standard formula. Since he is Callebaut's head ambassador he should know.

The high end would be to assume the total cocoa mass is butter and take 3% of 538g (53.8%) to arrive at 16g of additional butter per Kg of chocolate. That's guarnteed to be on the high side, though by how much I don't know.

Ok, another thought . . . .

I'm at work so I can't check any of my bags of Callebaut, but do they have a fat content on the side? And would that roughly correlate with the % cocoa butter? (I'm assuming the 811 is dark chocolate so no milk fats)

Ok, another thought  . . . .

I'm at work so I can't check any of my bags of Callebaut, but do they have a fat content on the side? And would that roughly correlate with the % cocoa butter? (I'm assuming the 811 is dark chocolate so no milk fats)

Well, you could work from the Nutritional Information. However, there is a certain percentage of fat in the cocoa mass. (Generally about 54%) The FDA uses a standard information set for the nutritional information rather than requiring everyone to have their product lab tested. So given that, you can look up the FDA's fat values for cocoa mass then work from there.

-Art

Amano Artisan Chocolate

http://www.amanochocolate.com/

Ok, another thought  . . . .

I can't find fat% so that trick is out.

Without a reply from someone in the know I'll just have to guess.

If you find out, let us know. I am only able to buy "C" milk and sometimes "D" semisweet.

I usually adjust a straight 3% for C (high side). For the backs of molded chocolates, adding too much cocoa butter matter doesn't for me too much. If anything it makes it easier.

For the tops of molded chocolates though, it can screw with correct shrinkage. But this usually only happens if I add way more than the 3% I am supposed to.

Edited by ejw50 (log)