• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mark Bittman on PBS

kbjesq

It seems like PBS is taking up the slack in food programming. Thank goodness. If I see Paula Deen's sons on one more infomercial-disguised-as-a-program, I am going to scream.

I have really been enjoying this new series with Mark Bittman.

Full info about the series, broadcast times, recipes, etc. is located here - and notice at the bottom of the page there is an "Ask Bittman" link (coming soon). That should be fun!

I've always adored Mark Bittman's food and writing, and now that I see him in person I find that I adore him! I need to know whether he is in a relationship so I know whether I'm wasting my time dreaming about him as the Perfect Man. :wub:

Edited to add wub!

Edited by Dianabanana (log)

It seems like PBS is taking up the slack in food programming.  Thank goodness.  If I see Paula Deen's sons on one more infomercial-disguised-as-a-program, I am going to scream. 

Ditto. Can't watch the Deen family (+ Mr. Michael Deen) at all. Whilst channel surfing a while back, I caught a glimps of the happy couple in bed sharing breakfast. I did not need to see that. No. :hmmm:

But I do like Bittman's program. I like his approach to reworking dishes so that they can be easily done at home.

I also am watching Floyd Does the Med on the Travel Channel, but that's another thread, I guess.

Bittman is interesting, though I'm not sure I'm seeing him in the same light as Dianabanana. Maybe I need to adjust my set or something. :unsure:

Are the Floyd shows new?

I used to watch him years ago and LOVED him!

He vanished for many, many years.

Hi,

I am thrilled that Floyd may be again, prowling in the alley behind a wonderful kitchen.

I will never forget having pneumonia and spending 17 days watching this crazy Brit, sneaking into strangers kitchens and letching his way into the hearts and onto bodies of the resident cooks.

I always feared that he went through rehab and became a charismatic preacher.

I need to know. WHERE? WHEN? WHAT? WHY? HOW?

Tim

• 3 weeks later...

apparently all the best recipes in the world are from western europe. It seems like on every show he is in italy or spain. Is it just me, or does he go to asia, africa, or even south america for any shows? Recently he did the best rice recipes in the world and I was surprised to see that he didn't even go to an asian country ):

However despite that, all of the recipes look absolutely delicious. I think my favorite was when Batali and Bittman were grilling those MASSIVE steaks somewhere in italy

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

apparently all the best recipes in the world are from western europe.  It seems like on every show he is in italy or spain.  Is it just me, or does he go to asia, africa, or even south america for any shows?  Recently he did the best rice recipes in the world and I was surprised to see that he didn't even go to an asian country ):

The show looks to have been produced on a somewhat limited budget, so lots of travel is probably out of the question. For all I know, the whole series might have been shot in one long trip to Italy and Spain. That being said, I love the show! I like that it has real food without pretense. (The music and striped shirts do get kind of repetitive though)

• 2 months later...

Just catching up with this show Mark Bittman's The Best Recipes in the World as I seemed to have missed it when it was first came along about 6 months ago. Coming on at 12:30 pm on a Saturday (PBS) guaranteed it was off my radar, but thanks to Tivoesque technology I'm finally able to appreciate it.

The latest episode and next to last in the series (13 in all) was Never Basta Pasta with his buddy Mario for the European leg making Pinci in Tuscany.

I love this show and it's easily worth ten of any reality cooking show and (naturally) is only 30 minutes instead of the hour it should be. Some of the segments beg for more time before he heads off to the next place.

Agree with the comments above that this is a low budget, most likely shot all in one go (at least on the European leg), but who cares, all the interesting stuff is there to see. I like that Mark doesn't kiss ass and go into raptures at everything he tastes and expresses skepticism when necessary.

Here's hoping there's another series (1 hour please!) in the works for the near future as there is so little pure travelogue style cooking on tv these days.

On a side note I really worry about Mario Batali's health. This show is probably at least a year old but man is he packing it on!

On a side note I really worry about Mario Batali's health. This show is probably at least a year old but man is he packing it on!

I'm glad someone said it. Mario's health is at risk and oh boy, I would hate to see another good man go down.

Can we talk about how amazing it would be to be in the kitchen cooking with David Chang? Man those pork dishes looked amazing.....

"A man's got to believe in something...I believe I'll have another drink." -W.C. Fields