• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lamb neck fillet

Norman Walsh

I have seen quite a few recipes lately using Lamb Neck Fillets.

I am trying to get some clarification on this cut.

I was a cook at sea for quite a number of years and had to do my own butchery on whole carcasses of beef, lamb and pork and the only cut I know in this respect was lamb neck end, either as a whole piece or cut into neckend chops.

This was a cut full of flavour but had to have long slow cooking or it was tough.

Yet watching a program on ITV yesterday "Britains best dish" a recipe used neck fillet and it was only cooked in the oven for 8minutes each side.

In another recipe I seen it was barbequed.

Surely anything of the neckend would be tough after only 16minutes cooking!

Unless I am out of touch with modern cuts of meat and there is some magic part of the neck that gives a tender fillet.

I would appreciate if anyone knowing the butchering skills would let me know what part of the neckend this cut comes from.

Thanks

Norm

Norman, I'm no butcher, (or anatomist), but I can assure you that what Waitrose sell as "lamb neck fillet" is indeed tender meat - and makes wonderful kebabs!

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan