• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Handicapping the Beards

TAPrice

I am, as always, a strong supporter of Scott Boswell. I think Stella! is hands down the most creative restaurant in the city, and I've personally never met someone so dedicated to their trade.

I am also behind Besh for restaurateur, and previous to Next Iron Chef, I think this would have been a much longer shot. With the name recognition the odds might be less.

Boswell seems like a contender for Best Chef South. Rumor has it that he's been on the short list recently. I wonder if the fact that he doesn't cook "Southern" food will hurt him?

I been to the Windsor Court yet, but I could see Greg Sonnier getting another nomination. Many people are really happy to see him cooking again after the trouble he had trying to reopen Gabrielle.

Besh for restaurateur? I'm not saying it's impossible, but it seems premature this year. I would think that he'd have to prove that he could manage his now rather large portfolio of restaurants for a few years.

I'm sure that I'm overlooking some good contenders.

Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)

Well, first you have to get them nominated in the category. Currence and Bernstein are, almost certainly, up again. I don't know about Chris Hastings or Johnathan Eismann ( (though I like Chris's places in B'ham, even though there are a dozen here that are better and I don't know anything about Eismann) Typically, multiple nominees will continue to be nominated until they win. It's not unheard of for someone to win on their third or 4th go round (and, often, someone will miss a year and come back the next, but usually only one year. Two in a row and you're a has-been.

Boswell seems like a good bet for a nomination this year and I would love to see Pete get one, as well-but there are only 5 spots.

There are some things to consider here, as well.

Mainly, it's almost impossible to get nominated unless you have put in your time (and considerable expense, though that has changed slightly with Beard covering some of the costs now) at the Beard House. It's not a rule or anything, and I am sure that there are plenty of exceptions, but there are more examples than exceptions, for sure. Who's been up there lately to cook for the rich folks? I don't know.

I would, all things being equal and me being in charge, probably throw Steven Stryjewski's name in the mix. He, pork boy that he is, is my hero in town at the moment. I could eat that charcuterie plate once a week. Actually, now that I think about it, I pretty much do. :shock:

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

I would, all things being equal and me being in charge, probably throw Steven Stryjewski's name in the mix. He, pork boy that he is, is my hero in town at the moment. I could eat that charcuterie plate once a week. Actually, now that I think about it, I pretty much do.  :shock:

I think Steven is certainly deserving, but the fact that Link won last year will probably work against him, I'd guess. Also, although we all know that he's the chef at Cochon, most of the national media doesn't. That probably doesn't help.

Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)