• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Freezing Tomatoes

bshapiro

I just read something about freezing tomatoes. You put them in the freezer on a baking sheet until they freeze, then bag them.

Anyone have luck with this. The article failed to mention the best way to defrost.

How different is the taste?

Due to the weather in NJ, i may still be able to score some heirlooms this week - - is freezing them worth it?

thanks,

B

"Of all places, only at the table is the first hour never dull."

website

Latest Article

My sis-in-law is a farm wife and she taught me a quick technique. Wash and dry all extra tomatoes and cut away any bruises, etc. Then just quarter them and put in a Ziploc freezer bag.

eskay is right - the texture will never be the same, but you can use them just like canned tomatoes all winter long. Thaw them in a colander - once they are soft, you can peel the skins right off.

I think it will not bring out the best in heirlooms - it is more a way to keep ahead of one's veg garden when it is really producing.

I've just been told about this. I put some romas in a plastic ziplock bag and put them in the freezer. As I needed tomatoes (for cooking only) I took out them out, washed them under warm water which made the skins loosen then I squeezed the guts into the pot.

It works really well and I'm quite enthused with this approach. You could also just defrost a batch, wash and put everything through a fine food mill. This is a great tool.

Since the tomatoes would only be good for sauce etc. I'd recommend making the sauce while they're fresh and just freezing that. Marcela Hazan has an easy recipe. I've got a few quarts in my freezer and hope to make some more if local tomatoes hold out a bit longer.

Monavano, that is a fine idea, unless you are picking 3 gallons of tomatoes a day. :laugh: Then you might want to spread out the work a bit.

I once planted a huge garden in the spring, and then got a full time job in July. With a 2 hour daily commute and 2 little kids at home, I just tossed the tomatoes in bread bags and into the freezer they went.

Worked just fine, except the stems on the tomatoes tore the bags and I had lots of rock solid tomatoes rolling around in the bottom of the freezer.

So leave 'em whole, remove the stem, and bag them. When you are ready to use, let them thaw, pull the skin off and remove the core, if there is one.

One advantage of this system over quartering is that the quarters stick together--whole tomatoes don't, so you can thaw exactly what you need.

sparrowgrass

I freeze small tomatoes (never Heirlooms) whole and love having them on hand. I don't make sauce ahead of time becasue sometimes I only want the equivalent of a tablespoon or two of tomato pulp to enrich a pan sauce.

Monavano, that is a fine idea, unless you are picking 3 gallons of tomatoes a day.  :laugh:  Then you might want to spread out the work a bit.

I once planted a huge garden in the spring, and then got a full time job in July.  With a 2 hour daily commute and 2 little kids at home, I just tossed the tomatoes in  bread bags and into the freezer they went.

Worked just fine, except the stems on the tomatoes tore the bags and I had lots of rock solid tomatoes rolling around in the bottom of the freezer.

So leave 'em whole, remove the stem, and bag them.  When you are ready to use, let them thaw, pull the skin off and remove the core, if there is one.

One advantage of this system over quartering is that the quarters stick together--whole tomatoes don't, so you can thaw exactly what you need.

Whoa, is that comming out of your garden? If so....am so jealous! My 3 tomato plants yielded about 3 tomatoes, so I'm buying mine at the farmers market. Hope to get a big haul before they peter out.

Ok - great - so next question:

What can i do to preserve the heirlooms? They will be around for about 1 more week and i'm gonna miss them!

Also - with tomatoes - what do you guys prefer: canning or freezing. Freezing is certainly easier. Thoughts?

"Of all places, only at the table is the first hour never dull."

website

Latest Article

BShapiro-

Get yourself some Bell or Mason jars that are "Freeze or Can". It may be a different lid - it's been a few years...

Anyway, cook your tomatoes down, season and spice, add carrot, celery, basil, etc.

whatever you desire-

Pour into new jars (I ran them through the dishwasher, I believe) leave 1/2" - 1" of headroom.

Put them in the freezer, and you're good to go, at least all winter they'll be good.

Steve

"Tell your friends all around the world, ain't no companion like a blue - eyed merle" Robert Plant