• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vermont beers and ciders

Stigand

I'm travelling through Vermont this fall, and would love to try some great, distinctive local beers and hard ciders while I'm there.

What would you recommend?

Names I've heard (from this forum and elsewhere) are Otter Creek, Magic Hat (although some people think they've jumped the shark), McNeill's and Wolaver's. Beyond the world of malt and hops, Woodchuck Cider. But what else should be on my list?

And a few other questions: is most good beer in Vermont bottled? Or should I be looking for cask-conditioned beers? If so, are any bars/pubs especially worth checking out?

Thanks for your help.

I'm travelling through Vermont this fall, and would love to try some great, distinctive local beers and hard ciders while I'm there.

What would you recommend?

Names I've heard (from this forum and elsewhere) are Otter Creek, Magic Hat (although some people think they've jumped the shark), McNeill's and Wolaver's. Beyond the world of malt and hops, Woodchuck Cider. But what else should be on my list?

And a few other questions: is most good beer in Vermont bottled? Or should I be looking for cask-conditioned beers? If so, are any bars/pubs especially worth checking out?

Thanks for your help.

I've not been very impressed by any of the Vermont beers - I have tried a wide range of beers from Otter Creek, Wolavers and Magic Hat. Having said that, if you can find Magic Hat Thumbsucker on tap I understand that is worth seeking out.

Vermont was one of the hot spots in the early days of craft brewing on the east coast (mid-late 80's) but has somewhat fallen by the wayside (at least, to "outsiders") in recent years, especially with the collapse of Catamount -one of the early VT. brewers, which went under after they built a new, large brewery. Since taken over by Boston's Harpoon, which eventually even dropped the brand that, at one time, was well-distributed throughout the Northeast- their Porter was especially well-respected).

The other early Vermont brewery was Long Trail, then known as "Mountain Brewers", but, it, too, seems to have suffered from their growth, expanding into a sort of mediocrity (tho' I still like their IPA and unfiltered IPA)- their new large brewery and restaurant gets varying reviews, but it's in a beautiful location (hard not to be, in Vermont) and is probably worth a stop if you're in the area.

As you've probably found out, two of the beers you mention, Wolavers and Otter Creek, are both from the same brewery, Otter Creek, which is now owned by Wolaver family. Have never been to the brewery, however (it's been a while since I was up in VT- early 90's?).

One of my favorite breweries in the state is the small Jasper Murdock's Ale house http://www.norwichinn.com/new-england-microbreweries.php inside the Norwich Inn. We stayed at the Inn, so having an "in house" brewery (especially at the time) was very unusual. Can't say I recall the beers very well, however.

As for cask ale, it looks as if it's relatively rare in the state's breweries and brewpubs, outside of Burlington- http://www.cask-ale.co.uk/us/vt-cask-guide.html

Edited by jesskidden (log)

Orlio Organic IPA is worth seeking out. Shed Brewery's Mountain Ale was a good one. I went to the Vermont Brewers Fest this summer. A lot of the beers were fairly ordinary, but some were worthwhile. I think a problem was they had all the kegs on ice, so a lot were too cold to show their full character. You can see written and video reviews from the fest on my website under the Vermont tag.

Secretary-General

The United Nations of Beer

www.theUNOB.com

• 1 month later...

Lived in Burlington for a year and change. The well known Vermont micros were all pretty mediocre. MacNiel's beer from Brattleboro can be found in bottles statewide. Some are excellent, but they're pretty inconsistent. The Shed is pretty good. A few really nice beers/some just good. No distribution, so you have to go to the pub in Stowe. The best beer we found in Vermont was at a brewpub called the Alchemist in Waterbury. The food is not bad either.

Nothing to add to the thread, I'm afraid, but thanks to everyone who gave suggestions.

I had a lot of Long Trail Ale and Otter Creek, which I enjoyed. And I can't think of a more beautiful place to drink it.