• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grape Jelly/Jam

Marky Marc

Be sure to check out the PRESERVING SUMMER topic.

Oddly enough, the word grape is only mentioned once in the entire thread. Thanks though. :smile:

Here is a simple recipe from the Ball Blue Book for grape jam. Rewritten in my words. I would say it was parahrased but I tend to make it longer not shorter...

GRAPE JAM

Makes 3 pints.

2 qts. stemmed Concord grapes

6 c. sugar

Separate the pulp and skins of the grapes. You can chop the skins in a blender or processor, then add about 1/2 cup water to the skins into a kettle just enough to keep it from sticking. Cook the skins gently for 15-20 minutes. Cook the pulp without any water until soften then sieve out the seeds. Combine pulp, skins, sugar and slowy bring it up to a boil stirring to make sure all the sugar dissolves. Then bring the mixture to a rapid boil about 10 minutes or so almost to the jellying point. Keep stirring so that the mixture does not burn or stick. You may have to skim off some foam it if developes. Pour into hot sterilized jars with 1/4 inch head space, cap and process 15 minutes in a BWB.

Be sure to check out the PRESERVING SUMMER topic.

Oddly enough, the word grape is only mentioned once in the entire thread. Thanks though. :smile:

Here is a simple recipe from the Ball Blue Book for grape jam. Rewritten in my words. I would say it was parahrased but I tend to make it longer not shorter...

GRAPE JAM

Makes 3 pints.

2 qts. stemmed Concord grapes

6 c. sugar

Separate the pulp and skins of the grapes. You can chop the skins in a blender or processor, then add about 1/2 cup water to the skins into a kettle just enough to keep it from sticking. Cook the skins gently for 15-20 minutes. Cook the pulp without any water until soften then sieve out the seeds. Combine pulp, skins, sugar and slowy bring it up to a boil stirring to make sure all the sugar dissolves. Then bring the mixture to a rapid boil about 10 minutes or so almost to the jellying point. Keep stirring so that the mixture does not burn or stick. You may have to skim off some foam it if developes. Pour into hot sterilized jars with 1/4 inch head space, cap and process 15 minutes in a BWB.

You can play around with the flavours a little. Some have added alcohol, lemon juice, different fruits, spices or you can make a grape chutney?

You can infuse some thyme, lemon verbena, or how about basil (whatever herbs would go with grapes) into the grape jelly, by taking 1/2 cup of boiling water and some sprigs of the herb of choice and letting it steep for 30 minutes. Take out the sprigs and use the 1/2 cup for the pulp in the original recipe.

You can add cardamon, or allspcie, nutmeg, anything that gets your fancy.

If you add fruit you may have to adjust the sugar or add pectin etc.

Good luck, and hopefully some out there can help you better than I!

Edited by milgwimper (log)

Thanks for the responses!

One of things I am curious about is flavor combinations with grape. I ate a grape earlier with a peice of cardomom stuck in my teeth that came dislodged when I started chewing on the grape. The taste was actually quite pleasant! :laugh: So I'm wondering about cardamom now.

Thanks for the responses!

One of things I am curious about is flavor combinations with grape. I ate a grape earlier with a peice of cardomom stuck in my teeth that came dislodged when I started chewing on the grape. The taste was actually quite pleasant!  :laugh:  So I'm wondering about cardamom now.

Maybe you can do a tasting with a couple of spices and grapes or even store bought jam and see which ones may be the combination you like? I think cardamon is lovely as well as basil but thats just me. Another friend likes cinnamon and nutmeg. So play around a little and see what you like.

I harvested about 40 pounds of these concord grapes this week.

gallery_16643_5279_41968.jpg

These were cleaned, de-lumbered, de-raisened, crushed and simmered (after bringing to boil first) until the eyeball like centers dissolved, then strained, combined with sugar at 1:1 and simmered again for about 15 minutes.

Poured into sterile jars and capped. 6 cups juice out of about ten lbs grapes on the vine. Man, it's delicious! :rolleyes:

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

I just did Scuppernong/Muscadine grape butter with cloves and cinnamon.  Very nice combination with the musky grape flavors.  <clickety for photos>

Your jams are beautiful! They have me licking my lips. the spice combination sounds lovely. I wish I could get muscadine and scuppernong here. Actually I would be happy with some concords too!

I've always wanted to make a concord grape pie.

There are recipes in Martha Stewart's pie book and the Pie and Pastry Bible.

Sort of like a key lime pie, but with grapes.

Ahhhhhhh.

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.

I've always wanted to make a concord grape pie.

There are recipes in Martha Stewart's pie book and the Pie and Pastry Bible.

Sort of like a key lime pie, but with grapes.

Ahhhhhhh.

I have always wanted to make one and taste one! *sigh* I havn't found a source for concord grapes here in germany. :sad: