• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Traveling Between Manhattan and Maine

skeeter

skeeter, that is a tough one in my opinion. what a wasteland that stretch is between hartford and portsmouth n.h. We travel that route often. i am not a fan of reim's deli off rt 84 between hartford and sturbridge. it's not that the food is bad; it just isn't particularly great.

my strongest suggestion would be Trumbull Kitchen in Hartford. they have a web site. Exc innovative international food; comfy attractive modern room. Lg. number of small and larger plates and salads.The cheng mai(?) beef w/ coconut curry sauce over noodles- is my fav dish there.and they are literally 5 min off highway. Fastest route is 91 north to 84 WEST just 1 exit i think; then a few blocks south of that exit- down Trumbull St. Street pkg and pkg garage too.

That route takes you right past Lowell, MA, which has the unusual distinction of being the capital of Cambodian culture in the United States. About a quarter of Lowell's population is Cambodian-American. Lowell has quite a few Cambodian, Vietnamese and other Asian restaurants.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

This place definitely qualifies as slow food. Portugese with a twist. Very homey; wine in tumblers, fantastic food-try the octopus, or pork with clams. It is 5 minutes off of 84, from the Flatbush Ave. exit in west Hartford.

Primavera Pub, 271 Newington Ave, Hartford, CT 06106

(860) 953-7411

271 Newington Ave, Hartford, CT 06106