• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Feeling Special

Josefinajoisey

OK, egulleters. Here's a question. Do you have a local joint, fancy restaurant or local deli where the proprieters or wait staff make you feel truly special?

I had a "a-ha" moment last night after another great dinner at Sabor Peru in Rutherford. Dave and Horatio made me and my friend feel like we were the jewels in their restaurant crown. I am a complete cynic, so they must be pretty genuine. It made me also appreciate the people at Terry's Coffee Shop in Union City, who used to fill my coffee order before I even opened my mouth. I know I am a customer and a consumer, but to have that extra bit certainly helps.

Smart World Coffee - everyone greets me with a big hello or how are the birds flying.

when lou owned An American Grill i knew if i popped in for lunch it would always be special and i would be fussed over.

now for me it is my local (ie - within 1.5 miles of home) place Warehouse Grill if john is out of town and i don't feel like cooking. flip lives down the street from me and nancy is always ready with a smile and my cold arnie palmer. for more upscale dining marla at Zoe's by the Lake is ready with a smile and a quip and questions about how we are. at Everything Homemade if maria sees me she's out of the kitchen to say hi and compare recipes with me.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Lou was partnered with family members who wanted to take the restaurant in another direction. Last I heard he was with a major hotel/resort chain.

T

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I use to feel like that about Fat Kat - I stumbled on this tiny place, it was close enough to my office (Hackensack) and Tony made me feel like it was my personal respite - I brought my office tehre for a holiday lunch, and wile my sister and I cared for our Mom during the hospice days, Fat Kat gave a new meaning to personal retreat and comfort food -

Benny makes Casual Habana comfortable and delicious (Hackensack) but it is too close to the office to really be a "haven"--

closer to home (Ridgewood) La Lanterna (Ridgewood) and Janice Bistro (Ho-Ho-Kus) both small, quaint, delicious and pampering.

jan

"When women are depressed, they either eat or go shopping. Men invade another country. It's a whole different way of thinking."

- Elaine Boosler

Lou was partnered with family members who wanted to take the restaurant in another direction. Last I heard he was with a major hotel/resort chain.

T

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the kind words Suzy. I left the Grill last January over the direction of the restaurant, cooking Italian food in my mind was a step back creatively that I didn't want. I was fortunate enough at The Grill to have made many contacts and friends and through these I was lucky enough to land a job with The Wyndham Hotel Group as a Franchise Sales Director for New Construction Development. I have to say I really don't miss the restaurant business with it's long hours, weekends and holidays. The Grill was sold last month, business had dropped, a combination of the menu and my departure. ( I hate to sound pompous but I kept in touch with my staff and they noted customer opinions were just that) I love my new job. The Grill was bought by a family whose daughter will run the restaurant, it will be called Nicole's on 10 or something similar. I've heard she trained under Mario Batali. I wish them great luck and hear they are renovating and will open next month with some of the dishes from the old menu at The Grill. That is rumor though. I'd like to thank all of you who I met here at egullet for supporting me at The Grill and wish you all godspeed.

Lou

• 3 weeks later...

Wine 54, a little wine Bar in Lambetville that envelops me in a hug after a long day. perhaps too often. The Bar at the Stockton Inn, for soup and the beer on tap. Ota-ya, also in Lambertville, that always can find room for us at the sushi bar. BUT most of all, Deanna's, with its $20 meal for locals on T and W nights

ps, hiya everyone...good luck Lou.

Edited by Kim WB (log)

• 2 months later...
Wine 54, a little wine Bar in Lambetville that envelops me in a hug after a long day.  perhaps too often.  The Bar at the Stockton Inn, for soup and the beer on tap. Ota-ya, also in Lambertville, that always can find room for us at the sushi bar. BUT most of all, Deanna's, with its $20 meal for locals  on T and W nights

ps, hiya everyone...good luck Lou.

Hi Kim,

I hope you get this message:

We are heading to the Lambertville House the weekend of Feb 15th. We have reservations at Anton's and Hamilton Grill per others recommendations. Are these restaurants you are familiar with and if so I would love some feedback. Also looking for any good lunch spots.

Thanks much,

Karen