• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

First Cooking Attempts

weinoo

Can't technically reminisce about "the good ol days" just yet. I'm pretty much in my experimental phase. The most successful dish I made was a mediocre bowl of homemade pho after having some pretty ravenous cravings while away at college last year. Needless to say I never knew that pho could take so long to make.

As of now, my goal is to make the perfect steak and sauce.

scambled eggs, boiling hotdogs. I think I made some banana bread on my own early on. The first meat dish (other than frying a hamburger) I ever made was Hasenpfeffer. My dad was a hunter and used to bring home rabbit. One day he bagged two and since we always had it the same way, I wanted to try something different. Mom did help me through the recipe but it was my dinner. My dad, being a bit traditional, at least outwardly, said something like "Someday your'e going to make someone a great wife." My mom let him have it. :)

"Los Angeles is the only city in the world where there are two separate lines at holy communion. One line is for the regular body of Christ. One line is for the fat-free body of Christ. Our Lady of Malibu Beach serves a great free-range body of Christ over angel-hair pasta."

-Lea de Laria

my dad has some kind of banana phobia... and will not eat them for some unknown bloody reason that drives the family nuts!!! he will go to the grave I bet with that reason..this man eats ANYTHING!!! but will not touch a banana..it is such a mystery to all of us and we have been guessing the reasons for years...we all love and eat bananas all the freaking time!!!

that said ..my first attempt to cook anything all on my own ...was at 5 years old... I made a chocolate cake for him from scratch ...I rarely saw him and this was my chance to shine

I was stubborn would not let anyone help ...eggs milk flour salt ...cocoa powder ..I had a kindergarten recipe for a cake we all made at school ..it was probably a dump cake of some kind because I remember putting a spoon of vinegar in it.....I had memorized it and made every go away while I put the stuff together in my giant bowl!

it was of course put into the oven for me as I could not even reach it at that time!

the cake came out good I can still taste the crumbs I picked off the side .....I sprinkled powdered sugar on it...threatend everyone not to touch it... and when my dad came home I was beside myself to serve it to him!!!

he came in sat down with a big glass of milk and a huge hunk of cake ... started to eat it while I chatted away about how l did it ....

including the fact I used banana extract ..instead of vanilla

that was it he put his fork down and said "Heidi I am sorry I can not eat it"

I was crushed..I kept saying "but dad it is not a REAL banana" he would not budge my tears were shooting everywhere...

I sobbed and stormed off tossing the cake into the sink... he tried to hug me ..talk to me... but I was so mad at him I just would not even speak to him for days!!!

to this day he will eat everything I make with relish trying to make up for that moment!

that was a hard thing for a five year old!!! It still drives me nuts he will not give a reason for not eating bananas ...he is not allergic and says "I love them" when you ask if it is a dislike ..my aunt said she thought it had to do with a bet he made in collage... who knows....

silly man that he is!!!

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

Sounds to me like you had a good sense for combining flavors at an early age- I love banana and chocolate together!

(Though my affinity for bananas has lessened since I used amyl acetate-think fake banana- as an olfactory stimulus for lab research. I like the reason of some obscure college bet better.... :biggrin: )

Sounds to me like you had a good sense for combining flavors at an early age- I love banana and chocolate together!

(Though my affinity for bananas has lessened since I used amyl acetate-think fake banana- as an olfactory stimulus for lab research. I like the reason of some obscure college bet better.... :biggrin: )

thanks I like to think I was a bit of a prodigy in the kitchen from early on :wub:

LOL kidding... but I do love chocolate and bananas still they are a perfect match...

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

The first “meal” I made was a breakfast in bed for my parents when I was three.  I got 2 plates and covered them with Triskets, and then as carefully as my little chubby fingers could, placed one Lifesaver on each.  This was paired with a tall cold glass of milk.  I think that the green flavor worked especially well. 

Now, that's the sweetest breakfast in bed I ever heard of. And the Dan-deel-yun in the jelly glass was the perfect touch.

How many packages of Lifesavers did you have to open, and who ate them all?