• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pathetic Pizza

RonV

I've reheated pizza on the stovetop, in a flat (not one with ridges), round cast iron griddle pan.  I spray the pan with a cooking spray and start the slice in a cold pan.  Once things warm up, I cover the slice with a large pan lid, to heat the top a bit and get things melting.  Then I'll take the lid off to allow the crust to get crispy.  Heat to your desired degree of reheatedness.  This method usually gets the crust crisper than when I first got the pizza!  Granted, this method only works for a slice or two at a time, though, depending on the size of the slices and your pan.

this is a great idea. it makes me think back to lidia's cookbook, where she recommends using a cast iron pan on the floor of the oven if you don't have a pizza stone. bet you could do the same thing -- put the pan on the floor of the oven (gas only, lowest rack for electric) and crank it up while you're waiting for the pizza.

Bumping this up to say that we had a margherita pizza delivered from Slice last night.  That's a very, very good pizza, one of the best I've had in the city.  It's a different style from Rustica, and I like 'em both, so it's great to have another option.

N.B.: the delivery time on a Friday night was an hour and fifteen minutes, and when it arrived it wasn't as hot as it could have been.  I should have anticipated this and heated up the pizza stone in the oven for a couple of minutes' crisping; next time, I will.

That's speedy by my experience. I've ordered two from them with delivery times running 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

Very good pizza. Probably great if consumed at the restaurant rather than delivered.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

I'd wondered whether there was a way one could re-crisp a steamed-in-the-box delivery pie.  I don't have a stone, however.  Would just putting it on the oven rack or my pizza screen work?

I've reheated pizza on the stovetop, in a flat (not one with ridges), round cast iron griddle pan. I spray the pan with a cooking spray and start the slice in a cold pan. Once things warm up, I cover the slice with a large pan lid, to heat the top a bit and get things melting. Then I'll take the lid off to allow the crust to get crispy. Heat to your desired degree of reheatedness. This method usually gets the crust crisper than when I first got the pizza! Granted, this method only works for a slice or two at a time, though, depending on the size of the slices and your pan.

Somewhat off topic but still relevant, this is the method I was told by the owners of Delorenzo's Pizza in Trenton to reheat their pizza. I use a cast iron skillet because I usually leave with just a piece or two and this method is really close to the original out of the oven pizza. The only change I would make is to use just a bit of decent olive oil instead of cooking spray but either would work.