• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Puppy chow mix...

LindsayAnn

Okay - about to depart my house for a bachelorette party for one of my closest friends (I am one of the 4 bridesmaids) - I am pondering on all of the wonderful goodies that will be eaten (and drunk.....to get me....well....drunk...haha) today/tonight.

I have an insider tip (since the hosts are two of the bridesmaids also, twin sisters) - they are making, among many other things, puppy chow mix. Why? Because the guest of honor - the bride - our college friend, roommate, and my dorm-mate, loves the stuff. Well, guess what? I do too! And, I haven't indulged in the stuff in quite some time (over a year?) - so I cannot wait.

In-case you are deprived and clueless as to what I am talking about - puppy chow mix is just the name that the common people have given to a combination of rice/corn chex cerial (or crispix cerial), covered in melted peanut butter, and chocolate, shakin in a large plastic bag (bags when making a large batch) with white powdered sugar (which ends up coating the peanut-buttery-chocolaty orgasmic combination) - I have no clue who invented/thought up this stuff - but its divine.

So - what say you? Have you had it? Made it? Do you love it? Dare I even say these words when referring to puppy-chow mix - hate it?

P.S. Its called puppy-chow mix, in my opinion, because it looks like puppy food! HAHAH - tastes nothing like the stuff (not that i have tasted dog food - I am just using my judgement here :) )

"One Hundred Years From Now It Will Not Matter What My Bank Account Was, What Kind of House I lived in, or What Kind of Car I Drove, But the World May Be A Better Place Because I Was Important in the Life of A Child."

LIFES PHILOSOPHY: Love, Live, Laugh

hmmm - as it appears if you are eating good food with the ones you love you will be living life to its fullest, surely laughing and smiling throughout!!!

I love the savory version of it. My girlfriend makes it. It is wonderful. She gave me the formula but I think I'll just enjoy hers, looks too complicated for me. It's got 5 or 6 different cereals and it's got some graham or cinnamon stuff or something but truly it's savory and I know I'd love the puppy chow version but can't eat as many sweets as I'd like to. But I bought some at a Fresh Market the other day for some friends. White chocolate 'puppy chow'.

Oh I like the chow mein noodles dipped in butterscotch too!!!

You mentioned this in another thread and I was wondering what exactly it was. I was thinking maybe it was simply another term for Chex mix. But it's a sweet version of. Sounds pretty interesting. If it was me, I'd want to try it without the powdered sugar first.

Does it stay crunchy? What about mixing some nuts or peanuts in there?

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

I make "Reindeer Chow" for Christmas - basically the same stuff, only I add pretzel sticks and red and green M&Ms. The pretzels are great, they add the perfect twiggy-ness to the chow. Everyone loves it!! I fill holiday tins with it and include it with my goodie baskets, and it always gets raves.

Personally, I prefer it with a little less icing sugar - it needs some to help keep everything separate and kibble-like, but too much and it does get too sweet.

In-case you are deprived and clueless as to what I am talking about - puppy chow mix is just the name that the common people have given to a combination of rice/corn chex cerial (or crispix cerial), covered in melted peanut butter, and chocolate, shakin in a large plastic bag (bags when making a large batch) with white powdered sugar (which ends up coating the peanut-buttery-chocolaty orgasmic combination) - I have no clue who invented/thought up this stuff - but its divine.

So - what say you? Have you had it? Made it? Do you love it? Dare I even say these words when referring to puppy-chow mix - hate it?

P.S. Its called puppy-chow mix, in my opinion, because it looks like puppy food! HAHAH - tastes nothing like the stuff (not that i have tasted dog food - I am just using my judgement here :)  )

Why, I ask, has puppy chow mix (which I enjoyed in my pre-diabetic days) not made an appearance in the PMS Cravings thread? It sounds like the perfect nosh for the menstrual munchies.

There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

I love that stuff! I learned to make it in my 7th grade Home Economics class. The recipe was labeled "People Puppy Chow." The melting can all be done in the microwave, so it is a pretty decent candy for kids to make. It actually may be the only thing from that whole experience I'd consider making again. In contrast, the raw radish rosettes I had to whip out daily will simply have to remain a bizarre and bitter memory.

As a kid in the southwest it was always called Muddy Buddies, but my boyfriend said he grew up calling it Puppy Chow (midwest). Regardless of what it's called, it's ridiculously good. I like it best plain, with the only crunch coming from the cereal. You definitely need enough powdered sugar, otherwise your hands get sooo messy from the chocolate/peanut buttery goodness.

You mentioned this in another thread and I was wondering what exactly it was.  I was thinking maybe it was simply another term for Chex mix.  But it's a sweet version of.  Sounds pretty interesting.  If it was me, I'd want to try it without the powdered sugar first.

Does it stay crunchy?  What about mixing some nuts or peanuts in there?

Yes - stays crunchy - at least everytime I have made it it has stayed crunchy - not soggy at all.

I ate quite a bit last night....only to wake up this morning with a slight hangover - nothing that a starbucks vanilla latte couldnt fix (well that and a batch of homemade rice crispy treats....what is up with me lately? I am going psycho over kid-ish deserts (puppy chow mix, rice crispy treats....) what will be next? I sense it's pre-pms cravings....I blame everything on that! Ha

"One Hundred Years From Now It Will Not Matter What My Bank Account Was, What Kind of House I lived in, or What Kind of Car I Drove, But the World May Be A Better Place Because I Was Important in the Life of A Child."

LIFES PHILOSOPHY: Love, Live, Laugh

hmmm - as it appears if you are eating good food with the ones you love you will be living life to its fullest, surely laughing and smiling throughout!!!

I make "Reindeer Chow" for Christmas - basically the same stuff, only I add pretzel sticks and red and green M&Ms.  The pretzels are great, they add the perfect twiggy-ness to the chow.  Everyone loves it!!  I fill holiday tins with it and include it with my goodie baskets, and it always gets raves.

I'll have to try making it this way, for some of my food gifts this winter.

Personally, I LOVE puppy chow. It's so tasty. I've actually been thinking about making some and taking it to work on the day of our final test (I'm still in training) in little ziploc bags.

Misa

Sweet Misa