• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

elBulli 2008 reservations

The first year, in my innocence, I specified 2 suitable dates and got a table. I'm not going to bother with the "any date, any time" request again, I don't think.

I have been rejected both ways. I have also been to that little restaurant in Cala Montjoi four times, but I need to go back. Four friends still have not heard anything....so...fingers crossed.

l

I sadly report that I received a rejection from ElBulli this morning. This was my first attempt ever so, undaunted, I will employ other tactics.  Best of luck to other hopefuls. JK

Has anyone who has been rejected so far sent their reply as late as the 15th? I sent mine on the 15th and have not yet heard. My fingers are crossed, big time.

I sadly report that I received a rejection from ElBulli this morning. This was my first attempt ever so, undaunted, I will employ other tactics.  Best of luck to other hopefuls. JK

Has anyone who has been rejected so far sent their reply as late as the 15th? I sent mine on the 15th and have not yet heard. My fingers are crossed, big time.

I suspect the timing has something to do with the date the requests were submitted as they are probably getting to each request in the order in which they received. At this point, especially for those sent in later, I would suggest that no news is not bad news but wouldn't get too excited either way just yet. Given the even fewer spots available this year due to the restaurants change in scheduling and its unprecedented even for elBulli amount of publicity, I can only imagine that requests are even more voluminous than ever. Nevertheless, good luck to all those who remain in the running!

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

My first post on the forums, after three years of lurking, is to say I got rejected. Send an e-mail the 15th. Asked for 2 or 4 persons, if possible in july or september, if not every date would be fine. Alas, no El Bulli for me. Will try to pick up a no show, though.

2 out of 4 of us have got rejections so far :(

"Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood. Now is the time to understand more, so that we may fear less. " - Marie Curie Sklodowska

Put my request in on the 17th...no rejection so far. But I am fairly phlegmatic about it - already plan to go to the Fat Duck if I don't get in...or do they have similar issues now?

It is difficult to get a table at the Fat Duck, but nothing like the elBulli madness. You can book 2 months in advance, so ring on that day. Most times, all the tables go within 10-20 minutes of them taking calls. Constant redial in order!

• 2 weeks later...

has anyone gotten any responses recently? i am still waiting; hoping no news is good news.... i believe i read somewhere they begin sending acceptances in november- is that right?

Sandy Levine
The Oakland Art Novelty Company

sandy@TheOaklandFerndale.com www.TheOaklandFerndale.com

www.facebook.com/ArtNoveltyCompany twitter: @theoakland

has anyone gotten any responses recently?  i am still waiting; hoping no news is good news.... i believe i read somewhere they begin sending acceptances in november- is that right?

I'm still waiting as well. I don't know how long to wait before I have to assume the rejection went astray though.

has anyone gotten any responses recently?  i am still waiting; hoping no news is good news.... i believe i read somewhere they begin sending acceptances in november- is that right?

The first year I went, I didn't get my acceptance until right before Christmas.

The first year I went, I didn't get my acceptance until right before Christmas.

I just got my reply: we're off to el Bulli for Judy's birthday in June.

Has anyone got any recommendations about where to stay?

Congrats, so thrilled we’ve got a few success stories.

Re where to stay, we rented a villa for a week (more like a large apartment) which was just up the hill from the Almadraba Park hotel. It was very reasonably priced and meant that we could spend even more on eating! :biggrin: The owners are English and arranged a taxi for us to go to elBulli. This area is called Canyelles Petites which is a much smaller cove down from Roses, link here. If you look at the 2007 reservations topic, you will probably get a few more suggestions.

We stayed at Almadraba Park hotel near Roses as well last year and would go there again.

Good fruit selection for breakfast and a big swimming pool. And if you have two hours time you can walk right along the coast to El Bulli. :wink:

Almadraba Park is a great place to stay for a night at El Bulli (see rest). The grounds are a pleasure, and the location is refreshingly remote from Roses. Your cab ride will take three quarters of an hour and will be waiting for you when you finish dinner. I dont care if your Richard Petty, take a cab! The drive is beautiful and relaxing if you are not driving. I love to drive, fast, but the route is unique and commands a driver who knows where he is going in the dark. Nuf said.

One but. If you are looking for pure luxury you should consider staying an hour or more away, cab wise in a luxury hotel. The rooms Almadraba Park, as of Fall 2007, are stark and cotish. The view from our verandah was sublime. After my meal at El Bulli I smoked a cigar from 2 to 3 and loved every minute of it. Cotish is a strong bash, but our beds and room were modern ten years ago at best and were the worst beds on our trip. Back to smiles, the hotel is wonderful in all other aspects. Service and space are spot on.

Nate

Edited by nhconner (log)