• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

elBulli 2008 reservations

It looks like they may have started taking reservations in elBulli. I sent in a request late last night and I have not received a standard reply... well, nothing actually.

Send your request to:

Luis Garcia

bulli@elbulli.com

The accepted wisdom is that it is best not to specify a date or number of people and keep it short.

Best of luck!

It looks like they may have started taking reservations in elBulli. I sent in a request late last night and I have not received a standard reply... well, nothing actually.

Send your request to:

Luis Garcia

bulli@elbulli.com

The accepted wisdom is that it is best not to specify a date or number of people and keep it short.

Best of luck!

Actually Luis told me it is best to include your desired dates and number in your party.

http://www.movable-feast.com/2004/10/how_to_get_a_re.html

http://www.movable-feast.com/2005/10/el_bulli_reserv.html

Edited by Louisa Chu (log)

Thanks Luisa. Nothing like the inside track!

Actually I included two options, the any number any date option and a few specific dates with numbers.

Last year I specified dates and didn't land a reservation (although I sent in my request quite late), but in the previous year, I managed to pick up a cancellation with the I'll take anything approach.

Sent... Does anyone else feel like El Bulli is kind of like Santa? I feel like a kid at their first christmas after hearing so much about Santa. I'm wondering if he is going to come, wondering if everything they say about him is real and wondering if he really is going to bring me that joy that I have heard so much about!

Sent on Friday morning! I thought I might be too early but didn't get the standard automated response so fingers crossed.

Any idea how long one might have to wait for a reply?

I tried the trick of specifying a preferred date but then made it clear I would be pathetically grateful for any date, any time and any amount of people. Let's hope that does the trick.

The regrets go out first. The 'you've struck gold' emails last, generally about 6 - 8 weeks after the request has been sent in. Also worth factoring in is the following:

We keep our 50 % of capacity for our customers and the other 50 % for people wishing to visit us for the first time.

By customers, I think they mean people 'on the journey', diners who have been going to elBulli way before it hit the headlines. So effectively, there are just 4,000 places for newcomers.

Looks like they aren't taking anymore reservations.... will Santa show?

Does this mean you sent an email and got a "regret" automated response already?

The bookings page (http://www.elbulli.com/reservas/index.php?lang=en) says:

The restaurant is fully booked for our season 2008. All the reservations are confirmed and we do not have more available options.

I'm hoping that 'all the reservations are confirmed' is shorthand for 'we have so many reservations that we know we can fill all the places even though we haven't yet contacted any of the lucky people yet'.

Don't rule out picking up a cancellation. It mentions in the note that it is worth checking back nearer to the time and this is not just talk. I got lucky in 2006. If you are planning to be in the area, it is well worth getting back in touch with Luis closer to the time. He is genuinely helpful.

I also called last minute this Spring and got a reservation at 8pm on a Saturday night! Sorry not to have written up, but don't worry about missing out - the food really wasn't that special.

In the last two years, meals at Mugaritz, can Roca and Etxebarri have yielded more fulfilling culinary experiences.

We had a fantastic night, but the food disappointed, and I forced myself NOT to have high expectations. Saying that, I still want to go back, for the ride, and I also picked up a rejection this afternoon.