• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Starr Training Program

san

http://www.allbusiness.com/retail-trade/ea.../4967800-1.html

this article reports that buddakan's servers are trained for 6 weeks before they hit the floor

Can this be true? The longest training period I have ever heard of for full-time servers is two weeks. How can he find staff willing to train for so long- does he pay them more? it seems to me that it would be impossible to find anyone over 19 years old to sacrifice 6 weeks of tips. From my experience, the service at buddakan, striped bass, and tangerine to be very professional. I have a hard time believing that a seasoned server would go 6 weeks without tips... Does anyone know the specifics of the training programs of any of these restaurants?

Edited by san (log)

Sandy Levine
The Oakland Art Novelty Company

sandy@TheOaklandFerndale.com www.TheOaklandFerndale.com

www.facebook.com/ArtNoveltyCompany twitter: @theoakland

It was not that strict when I worked at Tangerine. Although, that was a few years ago (the first three years of opening). After about two or three weeks trailing, the servers would be tested on the menus. One thing I do remember is that the really good servers could walk out with anywhere from 600 to 1000 a night. That is with an army of bussers and back waiters. So if they know that they will be making that kind of cash every night, I think they might be willing to go without tips. Not that they wouldn't get tipped out from the servers like the bussers or the back waiters.