• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vote on my birthday meals

kendix

My parents are divorced and I have a girlfriend so that probably means three meals for me.

Every year, I go someplace I haven't been before, so here are some places I haven't been that I've been wanting to go to:

Justus

Phillips Chop House

Michael Smith

Cafe Beautiful

Cafe Des Amis

Em Chamas

Capital Grill

Vote for 3!

My parents are divorced and I have a girlfriend so that probably means three meals for me.

Every year, I go someplace I haven't been before, so here are some places I haven't been that I've been wanting to go to:

Justus

Phillips Chop House

Michael Smith

Cafe Beautiful

Cafe Des Amis

Em Chamas

Capital Grill

Vote for 3!

justus drugstore - from personal experience

Michael Smith - from a review by Slapsie Maxie

no idea for the third, sorry.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

• 1 month later...

Well tomorrow is the big day.

All the Justus pub on here made me willing to make the 45-minute drive on a Friday night with my mother, sister and girlfriend. That means I'll probably miss the party that is partially being thrown in my favor, but I think it will be worth it. (Who wants keg beer after a nice meal anyway?)

Saturday, the woman and I are leaving the KU game at halftime to go to Cafe Beautiful for an early dinner, which will also allow us to rest before the MOFRO show at the Bottleneck. Next week I don't have class and will probably try to throw in a dinner at Michael Smith with the old man in between all the Thanksgiving festivities.

Anyone have recommendations on what to or not to order for these upcoming meals?

Let the server know you have plans after dinner...your wait between courses could be more time consuming than expected at Justus Drugstore, I recommend the Pork Two Ways with the Pork Chop (if it's still on the menu).

"cuisine is the greatest form of art to touch a human's instinct" - chairman kaga

Well tomorrow is the big day.

All the Justus pub on here made me willing to make the 45-minute drive on a Friday night with my mother, sister and girlfriend. That means I'll probably miss the party that is partially being thrown in my favor, but I think it will be worth it. (Who wants keg beer after a nice meal anyway?)

Saturday, the woman and I are leaving the KU game at halftime to go to Cafe Beautiful for an early dinner, which will also allow us to rest before the MOFRO show at the Bottleneck. Next week I don't have class and will probably try to throw in a dinner at Michael Smith with the old man in between all the Thanksgiving festivities.

Anyone have recommendations on what to or not to order for these upcoming meals?

Having been to both Justus and Michael Smith, I'll be interested to hear about your experience, Kendix.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

No problem.

I did get the pork two ways and it was amazing. I was super impressed by the level of execution there. Chef Justus is also a pleasure to be around. He probably came out and talked to us four times during the meal.

Those were probably the two best birthday meals since I ate at the American for my 21st.

Eating at Cafe Beautiful is something everyone who loves food should experience.

No problem.

I did get the pork two ways and it was amazing. I was super impressed by the level of execution there. Chef Justus is also a pleasure to be around. He probably came out and talked to us four times during the meal.

Those were probably the two best birthday meals since I ate at the American for my 21st.

Eating at Cafe Beautiful is something everyone who loves food should experience.

Just curious - how long was your meal at Justus?

Oh, and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

How long ago was your meal at The American? (Not fishing for age, rather, trying to find out which chef was cooking there on your 21st).

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

Just curious - how long was your meal at Justus?

Oh, and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

How long ago was your meal at The American?  (Not fishing for age, rather, trying to find out which chef was cooking there on your 21st).

Thanks!

The American meal was in 2002 so Celina was already there. I can't tell where I've eaten the other four years. I just know that the two I just had were incredible and will definitely stay with me.

The Justus meal took us about three hours. Four of us had cocktails and then shared four appetizers and two entrees: beef carpacio, foie gras terrine, mushroom soup, endive salad, pork two ways and lamb shoulder. Then we had sorbet, port and coffee. At three hours, I found it relaxing but didn't think that it was unreasonably long.

ue, I'm getting ready to bump the KCK Mexican food thread. Check that if you get a chance.