• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Martha Stewart Living

ulterior epicure

... does anyone subscribe to Martha Stewart Living? If so, I'd really appreciate it if someone would tell me what (dessert) is on the cover of her newly issued November, 2007 issue. A friend emailed me and asked me if I could make it for her husband one of these days, but I thought it'd be nice to surprise them with it this weekend when I go to their home for dinner (reason for not asking her what it is)... I don't subscribe and I can't seem to find a copy of it on the news stands.

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

It's a cranberry, almond and cinnamon tart. A beauty.

Check in your local Walgreens or CVS -- there are still copies around here. But be aware that there are two covers for this issue: subscribor (with the lovely tart) and newstand, which features a turkey. Look for the turkey.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

It's a cranberry, almond and cinnamon tart.  A beauty.

Check in your local Walgreens or CVS -- there are still copies around here. But be aware that there are two covers for this issue: subscribor (with the lovely tart) and newstand, which features a turkey. Look for the turkey.

Thank you!! That sounds seasonal enough!

Really, though, which turkey - nearly all the food magazines have one of their cover for next month! :raz:

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

That's it!

Okay - thanks to you, I made it this weekend. Twice.

Martha needs to work on her baking times. Both times, I found that the tart needed to only bake for about 2/3 time called for.

See here: Martha Stewart's Cranberry, Almond and Cinnamon Tart. Here it is cut open.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

oh, that's purty! especially on the cake stand.

but what does it taste like? I'm having a hard time getting the taste from the recipe--is the filling custardy or cake-like? and the cranberries seem like they'd be only a small part of the taste since they are more of a garnish--Zoe

My wife gets the magazine and we both agreed that dessert looks like a winner. Love, hate, or be different about the personality that magazine is not without merit. For instance, it never occurred to me make applesauce by first roasting the fruit with brown sugar before sending them through the food mill. The resulting sauce has a whole added dimension of gooey caramel flavour. Why didn't I think of that?

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Martha needs to work on her baking times.  Both times, I found that the tart needed to only bake for about 2/3 time called for. 

See here: Martha Stewart's Cranberry, Almond and Cinnamon Tart.  Here it is cut open.

Not just her baking times. I have had lots of trouble with timing of things with many of her recipes. I tried some meringues recently that called for beating them for something like 20 minutes - I ended up with a very odd texture. The baking/sitting timing was really off, too.

Kim