• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jerky: The Topic

bunny

Not to cut on Alton Brown, who I like, but jerky's easy to make in your oven.  Just spread the marinated strips on foiled cookie sheet sprayed with Pam.  Put the sheet in your oven set at the lowest temperature (100 - 125 F).  Put a folded dish towel in the opening of the oven door to keep temperature down and air circulating.  It doesn't have to be open much, just  a half inch or so.  After 8 - 10 hours, it's all set!

You might want to try the Brown mwthod for fun, but with the oven there are no fiberglass, cat hair, or gray gunk worries.

I mess with something similar to that but use a pizza screen instead of a cookie sheet, until I got a dehydrator.

Jim

Jim Tarantino

Marinades, Rubs, Brines, Cures, & Glazes

Ten Speed Press

Well, Alton's whole theory (and I plan on testing several methods to compare and to see if he's right) is that both oven and dehydrator methods add heat, even though in small quantities, that slightly cooks the meat, which is not what he was looking for. Most of the commercial dehydrators, he says, don't have fans powerful enough to dry it without the help of a small heating element.

So I do want to try his method, to see if it results in a chewier, more authentic jerky than the crumbly stuff I've had from dehydrators. Once I find the right filters I'll experiment and report back; the trouble right now is finding the filters.

So I do want to try his method, to see if it results in a chewier, more authentic jerky than the crumbly stuff I've had from dehydrators. Once I find the right filters I'll experiment and report back; the trouble right now is finding the filters.

If you can't find the right filters, you could probably achieve the same effect with watercolor papers (found in art supply stores or sometimes hobby stores) laid on top of an old window screen.

I'm interested in your results, as I don't like how the cheap dehydrators also cook fruits and vegetables.

April

One cantaloupe is ripe and lush/Another's green, another's mush/I'd buy a lot more cantaloupe/ If I possessed a fluoroscope. Ogden Nash

While AB's online (and TV) recipe for jerky specified AC filters among the "hardware", I recall him using furnace filters at a cooking demo I attended. I have no idea if paper furnace filters are any easier to find than paper AC filters, but that would at least give you another product to investigate.

I also recall AB waxing droll during that demo about seeking filters at his local hardware store, and trying to avoid admitting to the "manly men" down there that he needed them for cooking. :laugh: But now I think of it, I vaguely recall he went to a local indie store rather than one of those big box stores, specifically to find store personnel who might actually know something about their stock. :smile:

Great idea... We in fact have a great small-town hardware store just like that and I'm ashamed I just now thought of going there. The kind of place that will give you 15 minutes of service just to find three 10-cent screws.

I'm curious whether or not I can re-use the filters after one run of jerky. I would like to eventually (if this works well) come up with a device maybe with two filters enclosing it but something reusable or very cheap lining the inside. Maybe watercolor filters as suggested, or maybe screens.

I believe the filters you are looking for are made by 3M and go under the brand name Filtrete. These filters look JUST like the ones he used in the show, but they are expensive... like 10 bucks a piece.

WhizWit.net -- My blog on Food, Life, and Politics

I believe the filters you are looking for are made by 3M and go under the brand name Filtrete.  These filters look JUST like the ones he used in the show, but they are expensive... like 10 bucks a piece.

On his show, AB claimed that the filters were $1 a piece, but I have never seen filters that cheap for any model of furnace or AC. It always struck me that once these guys get a cooking show and have little producer minions doing all of their shopping, that these hosts suddenly "forget" what things cost or how much time it might take to source it.

S. Cue

Yeah, I am certainly not paying $10 apiece for four filters that I may or may not be able to use again! I really want to try the method, though, so what about some sort of box contraption with a filter on the fan end (to keep dust, etc., off the meat), something inside to hold the meat in layers, and something on the outbound end, maybe even cotton sheet.

There has to be a cheaper way of doing this. I did see a pack of three filters for $7, but they were fiberglass. My last resort is to check this heating/air conditioning supply store nearby and see if they have el-cheapo paper filters.

Jerky or bust.

Hmm...the way we make home-made dried fish is to buy a cheap plastic laundry hanger (the round type with lots of pegs hanging down if possible, peg up the briefly brined strips of meat (or small butterflied fish by their tails), swathe the whole thing in coarse cheesecloth or netting so that the netting doesn't touch the meat or fish, and hang up in a shady place with a good breeze, such as just inside a window or on a balcony. Should be done in 12 hours.

• 4 months later...

I'm contemplating jerky. Nothing fancy- just sliced beef, marinaded in salt, sugar and spices, dried on a rack in a medium hot oven. I plan on storing my jerky in the fridge and consuming it within a few weeks.

What does a dehydrator bring to the party? And Nitrates (other than color and preservation)?

The way I see it, mankind has been drying salted/seasoned meat without a dehydrator or curing salts for thousands of years.

For those that do jerky in the oven, do you have any tips? I'm guessing multiple racks (if possible) is a good idea to maximize surface area, correct? Does ground beef work for jerky?

Edited by scott123 (log)

I have made it both ways, in an oven and in a dehydrator. I like to use the dehydrator because it has a number of racks,

I've never used any nitrates.

I usually marinate in soy sauce, wine, and garlic. Don't over marinate, as my Dad did, because it will become too salty to eat.

I've never made jerky of ground beef but have dried it in the oven for back packing so I guess it would be considered a form of jerky.

Edited to correct spelling.

Edited by BarbaraY (log)

I make jerky all the time (in fact, I'll be marinating some tonight to be dried tomorrow). Never have I used nitrates. I always use an oven or a smoker. I've never tried ground beef. I know that it is possible to press and form ground beef and make jerky out of it because I've seen little gizmos to do such a thing; however, I wouldn't want to try it because of bacterial issues. Another thing they say is that it is best to quickly get the meat's surface temp up to 165 F for 15 seconds before turning the heat way down to dry it. I've never done this, but I'm sure it is safer that way.

Just wanted to update this thread. Yep I use two racks, and that seems to hold all the meat most of the time (5 lbs.) if it is sliced at between 1/4 and 1/8 inches thick. For the really small pieces that won't stay on the rack without falling, I use a wire cooling rack placed on the oven rack since it has cross wires and smaller (1/4 inch I think) openings. Also, I don't know what type of marinade or rub you'll use, but if it is pretty wet, I'd blot the meat first to speed up the drying process (I use a spice, soy sauce, terriyaki, worcestershire mix marinated overnight). I started with about 165 F to get the oven up to heat, and then when the meat was hot to the touch (but I doubt all the way up to 160 F) turned it down to about 140 F (which is the lowest temp that my oven will go to). It usually takes about 8 hours to dry at this point depending upon the thickness of the meat. I just remove pieces as they are ready and make sure that any minor meat overlap is rectified as the meat begins to dry and contract.

When it is done I bag it and store it in the fridge. I'm sure it would be fine at room temp, but since I don't use nitrites or nitrates, I figure that the fridge is safest, even though it is loaded with salt. I've made over 20 batches like this and have never had any problems with getting sick. Either I'm lucky or doing something right. Couldn't tell you which though. :wink:

I've had good luck making oven jerky with beef and venison. One trick if you want to lower the oven temp for the drying portion is to put a dish towel in the crack of the oven door with the oven on its lowest setting. Keeps an even lower temp although it runs a little more.

Why a dehydrator?

Most dehydrators act like a convection oven. They usually have a small fan that will circulate the hot air within the closed system of the dehydrator. You get a more evenly dried jerky.

With a regular oven there may be hot & cool spots which may mean some pieces won't be dried as well as other pieces.

Clean up isn't much fun with a regular oven (my mom would line the bottom of her oven with foil for easier cleaning).

Some dehydrator racks (depends on the make and model) can be put into the dishwasher or can be easily cleaned in the kitchen sink.

We never used nitrates either. Just a sort of soy/teriyaki marinade.

When I had my dehydrator, I'd put a batch in before I went to bed and when I got up in the morning, I'd have beef jerky waiting for me. And the house smelled great. :wub:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

this is wonderful I've never done this before and was wondering if someone who has had success would be willing to give me step by instructions from marinating to proper temps and time. There is a wonderful carneceria by me that ofers all sorts of cuts of meat from flank steak to chuck in wafer thin slices. It would wake wonderful jerky.

Also has anyone ever attempted a version of pemmican. I live in socal so i have alot native plants and berries available. would love to know more about if anyone does and is willing to share.

Scooby Doo can doo doo, but Jimmy Carter is smarter

• 7 months later...

I'm hoping someone can help me with storing the beef and turkey jerky I have just made. Should it be kept in the refrigerator? Do you keep it wrapped in paper towels in a zip lock bag and keep it at room temp. or what? I want to do it right as I have invested a lot of preparation and cooking time. Thank you in advance.

Oh, has anyone made it on the hot side? I'm not sure what I should add to the soy sauce and the other regular spices to make it hotter.

I just returned from Texas with some wonderful beef and pork jerkey from Whitington's in Johnson City, TX. They recommend storing it in a paper bag or freezing it in a freezer bag, but never refrigerating it. There might be more information at their web site www.whitingtonsjerky.com.

I just returned from Texas with some wonderful beef and pork jerkey from Whitington's in Johnson City, TX.  They recommend storing it in a paper bag or freezing it in a freezer bag, but never refrigerating it.  There might be more information at their web site www.whitingtonsjerky.com.

Thank you so much, slo_ted for replying. I have not been able to locate the website using the spelling above or a couple variations. Could you please check the spelling for me? I have used with apostrophe and without, one "t" and 2 "t's".

In case I can't get the website, was anything said about how long you could keep the jerky in a paper bag? Are all the pieces thrown into the bag together and touching one another? I was wondering if I should put paper towels around individual pieces. Thanks again! :biggrin:

I just put in Whittington's jerky in Johnson City, TX on google and I got the phone number. The lady answering the phone was so nice and she said the jerky could stay in the paper bag for days. Thank you again.

Ah, I see you posted as I was typing :)

In case someone else wants the link, the website is at Whittington's Jerky

Somehow I doubt that this will be the advice offered on the website, but we keep homemade beef jerky in a ziplock bag in the kitchen cupboard for months on end, and the last bit is as good and tasty as the first...

Spicy? My regular 'secret recipe' is moderately spicy. Marinade the sliced meat for at least 24 hours in a 1:1:1 mixture of Pearl River or similar dark soy, lime juice and 'cooking grade' hot sauce [such as Louisiana. Oh, and a big handful of chopped herbs, to taste. Oregano, for me, usually. Mix the marinade, pour it into a non-reactive tub, and layer in the slices of meat, ensuring a good coating on both sides. Don't rinse before drying, just gently shake off the biggest drips.

cheers

Derek

Thank you, DerekW. After your response, before putting the flank steak in the oven, I shook off the marinade it was in, layered the pieces on the racks and then added a few shakes of hot sauce ( I had Franks Red Hot) to the left over marinade (there was only about a cup after marinating for 22 hours) and then brushed it on the pieces of meat and put into the oven.

You mentioned just shaking off the marinade. I made beef jerky many years ago and that was the method I used. Then I started pressing the marinated slices between paper towels to take off the extra marinade. I don't know why I did that other than I keep reading and there are different ways people do it. So, in the hopes that more flavor is transferred to the meat, I simply shook off the marinade this time as you said. I really appreciate your input.

I decided to use the Pure convection mode of my oven. I set it at the lowest 135 degrees which means its about 155 for a regular oven.

It is now 12 hours and I will wipe some beads of moisture off the meat and probably let it set about 8 hours in the oven with the oven off. I would love to hear what temp. you use and how long you cook and simply let the jerky set out. Thank you, again.

It smells great!