• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Pam R

Stuffed Cabbage Rolls--Cook-Off 36

137 posts in this topic

Made a quasi-Syrian lamb version using a Paula Wolfert recipe as a base: 1 lb minced lamb with 1 c rice, a minced sauteed onion, olive oil, some toasted pine nuts, S&P, allspice, cayenne (smidge), and cinnamon. Braised for a long time (about 90 minutes) in a tomato/pomegranate molasses bath. They were great, though I could have upped the spices in the filling and added some to the tomato sauce.

What sort of rice are people using? I used Nishiki medium grain, but wondered about using short grain sweet (sticky) rice.

ETA: I resisted the urge to truss, btw. No, uh, need, as it turns out. Right-o.

Edited by chrisamirault (log)

Chris Amirault

camirault@eGstaff.org

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

when you roll your cabbage leaves, tuck the ends in w/ your fingers...

think about it like rolling up a burrito so the stuff doesn't come out the ends...

What sort of rice are people using? I used Nishiki medium grain, but wondered about using short grain sweet (sticky) rice.

I used a short grain rice as the only long grain I had was fragrant (basmati and jasmine) and I didn't have enough medium grain for the recipe. I thought it turned out wonderfully however the recipe used called for the rice to be toasted so that may have had some impact.

I used long-grain. I was thinking of trying something else, but, well, Baba didn't.

I want to do another batch, similar to the last one, but with ground chicken instead of meat. I may try a different rice and I think a nice napa/savoy cabbage.

I assemble the rolls by placing a line of filling along the bottom of the cabbage leaf (the part that's closest to me), then roll it up, so that the filling is covered in cabbage, then fold each end in and finish by rolling it the rest of the way up.

Sour Cabbage is something I have never heard of before. Is it whole head cabbage processed like sauerkraut?

I think that the next time I make a batch of Kim Chi, I will roll a bunch of whole large nappa leaves to ferment for use in cabbage rolls.

Made a quasi-Syrian lamb version using a Paula Wolfert recipe as a base: 1 lb minced lamb with 1 c rice, a minced sauteed onion, olive oil, some toasted pine nuts, S&P, allspice, cayenne (smidge), and cinnamon. Braised for a long time (about 90 minutes) in a tomato/pomegranate molasses bath. They were great, though I could have upped the spices in the filling and added some to the tomato sauce.

I realize that I forgot to tell you that these sounded really good. What happens to the texture of the pine nuts as they're cooking? Was the rice cooked or raw? Why aren't there any pictures?

I toasted the pine nuts pretty well, so the maintained a firm toothiness. Them's oily buggers, so I don't think that the liquids soften them up too much.

Rice was uncooked -- in fact, I can't see how you'd make them with the rice cooked. Doesn't it just break down into a soggy mess?

I didn't take pictures because juggling the stuffing and the remote control left no extra hands. They're also ugly. But since you asked, I just had a bit of my dinner early:

gallery_19804_437_185674.jpg

Chris Amirault

camirault@eGstaff.org

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

I have been watching this thread with much intrest. And it has also promped me to research EVERY book I own.. lol.. and in my poking around I found a few variations on this theme..

One is called (and please forgive, and correct my brutal spelling concerning the names).. Linyvi Holubtsi. It is basically a "lasagne" type cabbage/rice/tomato baked dish where the cabbage is layered with the rice and tomato sauce and/or steamed tomatos. And then served with a meat dish.. A meatloaf or maybe some sausages?

The other is Kilivi Haluptovin (pronounced keely haloup-ta-vein.. again forgive my butchery) or russian lazy cabbage rolls.. and JEL aluded to this prep in a previous post.. Where you would cut your cabbage into strips and saute them with onion untill semi soft and then add the wilted cabbage/onion to a dish with tomato sauce and then top with a meat/rice/seasoning mixture.. either "loaf" type single servings or pack the meat edge to edge to cover.. bake.. and then invert the dish onto a serving platter.

I guess there is more than one way to skin a cat... In the end its all tasty.

Chow down,

Kev

Hey Kev, welcome to eG Forums! From what cuisines do these dishes hail?

Thanks for the welcome.

The first is a Ukranian dish, the other hails from Russia.

All pretty much the same stuff.. its just "semantics", if you will... And I had no intention of derailing the cabbage roll discussion.. just figured I would add a few options.

And of course fennel, garlic, onion, etc.. are always welcome additions/subtractions... heck its your soup.. make it how ya want!

Chow down,

Kev

I assume that "sour cabbage" is sour Kraut that has not been sliced beforehand.

sauerkraut is very easy to make.

Salt ,water and a cool place to cure it for a couple weeks...Much better than any store bought stuff...

Bud

Oh my goodness you all inspired me!! I stayed home from work yesterday and made cabbage rolls!!!!

I stole from all of your recipes and added a little of my own...

I used venison and mixed it with rice, onion, garlic, egg and spices. For the sauce I cracked open a jar of my home canned tomatoes. I roughly chopped them up and put them with onion, garlic and some butter. I brought it to a simmer and let it thicken up a bit. Then I added a splash of vinegar and a little red wine.

My husband declared it a keeper!!!

Thank you to everyone!

I don't think I like cabbage rolls but this thread is inspiring me for some reason. Maybe because it is all cold and gray these days - It just sounds "homey". But then again I thought I didn't like cauliflower but then I read 14 pages of the Roasted Cauliflower thread and now I'm an addict!

So - I'll be making some today to cook for dinner tomorrow night. I'm going to use the Molly Stevens recipe. It says it serves 6 - 8 so we'll have lots left over (as there are just 2 of us). I want to make the recipe as is before halving it so........

I have a question about freezing them.

Do you freeze AFTER cooking? Or BEFORE cooking?

Thanks!

. . .

I have a question about freezing them.

Do you freeze AFTER cooking? Or BEFORE cooking?

Thanks!

I froze mine after cooking and just the other day re-heated a single serving and it was still very good.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Never call a stomach a tummy without good reason.” William Strunk Jr., The Elements of Style

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I freeze after cooking in ziplock bags and it's perfect.

---------------------------------------

Swedish-style stuffed cabbage rolls (aka "Kåldomer")

Thought I'd add a slightly different approach to most of the cabbage rolls I've seen here so far.

Ingredients:

437836018_1c3c05fd5d.jpg

About 1/3 cup short-grained rice, 1 1/2 pounds gound beef/pork mix (70/30), one cup water, about 1 1/2 cups whole milk, two onions, an egg, a knob of butter, a few tablespoons of golden syrup (light corn syrup would work fine), about 1 1/2 cups stock (veal here), one head of winter cabbage.

Start by bringing a large pot of water to a boil and dumping the cored head of cabbage in. You want to boil it enough until the outer leaves loosen. Peel them off and wait for the next layer. Drain the leaves well.

437836050_4093610ea3.jpg

437836096_10270dbf61.jpg

437836160_f08df52653.jpg

Meanwhile, get your rice started. Bring your water to a boil, add rice, cover and reduce heat to a simmer.

437837461_748217183f.jpg

Add the milk after the water has been absorbed (ca 10 minutes).

437836200_1de621e7e6.jpg

Let simmer gently for another 15 minutes or so. You want a rice pudding-like consistency.

437837531_21b68fb162.jpg

As the rice is finishing, melt the butter in a pan and add the finely diced onion. Leave the heat on medium as you only want to soften the onions.

437838015_c349f43d7d.jpg

437836752_34c877d6a9.jpg

Put the cooked rice, onion, ground meats, egg, salt and peppar (to taste) in a bowl...

437836798_596f6d24f3.jpg

... and mix

437836858_ee4d41eaeb.jpg

(Go ahead and fry up a taste of this mixture to check for seasoning - you don't want to go through all of this trouble only to end up with bland kåldomer!)

Next, stuff your leaves.

437838123_2a5c6995e1.jpg

437838149_d806855b47.jpg

437838193_efe082b722.jpg

Brown the rolls in butter. I like to wait for a heavy-ish brown as I feel it improves the flavor.

437837020_0ce8184771.jpg

437838281_6b16ddc5eb.jpg

Place in a deep skillet that will fit all of the rolls and add the syrup and the stock (looks like I added a few tsps of caraway seeds, too). Simmer slightly covered for 30-45 minutes.

440435744_b19cdf040f.jpg

440435786_54e6dc3515.jpg

When the rolls are finished, remove them from the skillet and place in a serving dish. Reduce the cooking liquids and adjust seasonings (the sauce should be slightly sweet). Add a little cream if you've got some on hand. Pour the finished sauce over the rolls and serve.

440435826_0aac068420.jpg

440436377_a13f5c5887.jpg

440435904_c4443e1be5.jpg

Served here with a green salad and boiled potatoes. Teamed with a cold, tall glass of lager, cabbage has never been so lucky!

This is the recipe I outlined on the first page of this thread.

gallery_39290_5073_13003.jpggallery_39290_5073_11050.jpg

gallery_39290_5073_2057.jpggallery_39290_5073_8960.jpg

gallery_39290_5073_7224.jpggallery_39290_5073_11064.jpg

gallery_39290_5073_9208.jpg

gallery_39290_5073_63616.jpg

Has anyone ever tried a vegie version?

JEL mentioned a Polish version that included (along with meat) some wild mushrooms and barley.

I was thinking of starting with those as subs for meat.

Any other suggestions for a vegetarian filling?

If it doesn't sound like a good idea, I may try it with turkey meat instead.

Pam R. did you try the chicken version yet? I would love to know how that comes out?

Has anyone ever tried a vegie version?

JEL mentioned a Polish version that included (along with meat) some wild mushrooms and barley.

I was thinking of starting with those as subs for meat.

Any other suggestions for a vegetarian filling?

If it doesn't sound like a good idea, I may try it with turkey meat instead.

Pam R. did you try the chicken version yet? I would love to know how that comes out?

Vegetarian Holubsti (cabbage rolls) are traditional for Ukrainians on Sviata Vechera (Holy Supper aka. Christmas Eve feast...)... Filling usually consists of rice, buckwheat or millet with mushrooms.

They work with tofu, I have some pix of a tofu/chicken version I made last week, which I will upload, but you could also make them with tofu only.

Thanks helenjp, did you like the chicken in there?

Mikeb19, it's good to know that going vegie is a real dish. I have some buckwheat I did not know what to do with it. It's a funny looking grain, but seems like it would make a good meat substitute.

I'll look for some recipes online like that.

• Similar Content

• By eG Forums Host
      eGullet Recipe Cook-Off Index

Thanks to chrisamirault, every now and then since December 2004, a good number of us have been getting together over at the eGullet Recipe Cook-Off.

The Cook-Off is intended to be a forum at which we all can cook the same dish and share our experiences in a non-competitive, collaborative manner, making a dish:
      that you've always wanted to make at home (and may enjoy out) but rarely have made, or haven't made successfully; for which special but locatable ingredients may be used, but for which expensive special equipment is not required; that includes techniques, ingredient combinations, or other elements that intrigue you; from a different cuisine than that of the previous Cook-Off dish; that demands some time and effort, but that rewards that effort for even those first approaching it; and that motivates you to try it out, ask questions, serve it to friends, and share photos and stories. As we cook and compare, some of us post our recipes on RecipeGullet, the eGullet Society's wonderful database of cooking ideas, instructions, and insight.

Finally, thanks to the internet, remember that you're never too late for an eGullet Cook-Off. While all have a specific starting time, none have an end time, and there are many of us eager to see what you will do with the cook-off recipes. So don't hesitate to contribute if you're finding this thread weeks or months after its start: by posting your own ideas, questions, or results, you can bump activity back up on this thread in no time!

We've created this index so all cook-offs are easy to find and join in. We'll keep it updated.

Here is the list:
      Cook-Off 1: Cassoulet Cook-Off 2: Char Siu Bao Cook-Off 3: Gumbo Cook-Off 4: Lamb Curry Cook-Off 5: Fried Chicken Cook-Off 6: Pad Thai Cook-Off 7: Moussaka Cook-Off 8: Pizza Cook-Off 9: Mole Poblano Cook-Off 10: Meatloaf and Burgers Cook-Off 11: Ice Cream, Gelato, Sorbet, and Sherbet Cook-Off 12: Composed Salads Cook-Off 13: Fresh and Stuffed Pasta, including Gnocchi Cook-Off 14: Bibimbap Cook-Off 15: Chili Cook-Off 16: Potato Pancakes Cook-Off 17: Sausages Cook-Off 18: Asian Noodle Soups Cook-Off 19: Eggs, Beaten, With Stuff In Them Cook-Off 20: Chowdah/Chowder Cook-Off 21: Risotto Cook-Off 22: Tempura Cook-Off 23: Crêpes Cook-Off 24: Kebabs, Satays, & Skewers Cook-Off 25: Tamales Cook-Off 26: Soup Dumplings (Xiao Long Bao) Cook-Off 27: Daube Cook-Off 28: Mafé (Peanut Stew) Cook-Off 29: Posole/Pozole Cook-Off 30: Felafel/Falafel Cook-Off 31: Paella Cook-Off 32: Pickles Cook-Off 33: Cold Noodle Dishes Cook-Off 34: Ceviche Cook-Off 35: Pot-au-feu/Simmered Meat'n'Veg Cook-Off 36: Stuffed Cabbage Rolls Cook-Off 37: Croquettes Cook-Off 38: Feijoada Cook-Off 39: Tacos Cook-Off 40: Cold Soups Cook-Off 41: Jerk Cook-Off 42: Ratatouille Cook-Off 43: Braised Brisket Cook-Off 44: Ossobuco Cook-Off 45: Fries / Frites / Chips Cook-off 46: Enchiladas Cook-off 47: Asian Tofu Dishes Cook-off 48: Grilled Pizza Cook-off 49: Slaws Cook-Off 50: Lamb Stew Cook-Off 51: Chicken and Dumplings Cook-Off 52: Lasagna Cook-Off 53: Grilled Chicken Cook-Off 54: Gratins Cook-Off 55: Shrimp & Grits Cook-Off 56: Savory-Filled Pastry Cook-Off 57: Bolognese sauce Cook-Off 58: Hash Cook-Off 59: Cured, Brined, Smoked and Salted Fish Cook-Off 60: Banh Mi Cook-Off 61: Gels, Jell-O and Aspic Cook-Off 62: Squid, Calamari and Octopus Cook-Off 63: Summer Squash Cook-Off 64: Confit Cook-Off 65: Pork Belly Cook-Off 66: Rhubarb Cook-Off 67: Apples Cook-Off 68: Citrus Fruits Cook-Off 69: Beer Cook-Off  70: Shellfish Grilled Over an Open Flame Cook-Off 71: Winter Squash Cook-Off 72: Ramen 
    • By David Ross
      Welcome back to our popular eGullet Cook-Off Series. Our last Cook-Off, Hash, took us into a heated discussion of the meat of the matter--should it be chopped, hashed, sliced, diced, or chunked.
      Click here, for our Hash discussion, and the answers to all of your questions about this beloved diner staple. The complete eG Cook-Off Index can be found here. Today we’re launching eGullet Cook-Off 59: Cured, Brined, Smoked and Salted Fish.
      Drying fish is a method of preservation that dates back to Ancient times, but more recently, (let’s say a mere 500 years ago or so), salt mining became a major industry in Europe and salt was a fast and economical way of preserving fish. Curing agents like nitrates were introduced in the 19th century, furthering the safety and taste of preserved fish.
      Where I live in the Pacific Northwest, Native Americans have been preserving fish and seafood for millennia. While we are best known for our ruby-red, oily-rich, smoked salmon, other species of fish found in the Pacific and in our streams are delicious when cured and smoked including Halibut, Sablefish and Idaho Rainbow Trout. And don’t think that you can’t smoke shellfish, alder-smoked Dungeness Crab is a wondrous Pacific Northwest delicacy that evokes memories of crab roasting over a driftwood fire on the beach.
      Another method of preserving fish is to bath the beauties in a brine—a combination of water, sugar, salt and spices that adds flavor and moisture to fish before it is dried or smoked. And speaking of smoked fish, you can do it in a small pan on top of the stove, in a cast iron drum, a barbecue pit, an old woodshed or a fancy digital smoker. The methods and flavors produced by smoking fish are endless.
      Old-fashioned ways of preserving fish, (while adequate at the time), aren't always the best method today. Today's technology provides us with the tools to create cured fish that is moist, succulent, tender and with a hint of smoke. The Modernist movement has certainly played a role in bringing this age-old craft into the 21st century, so for the avant-garde in the crowd, show us your creative wizardry for preserving fish the "modern" way.
      Cured, Brined, Smoked or Salted, the art of preserving fish opens us up to limitless possibilities that transcend the boundaries of cuisine and culture. So let’s sew-up the holes in our fishnets, scrub the barnacles off the rowboat and set out to sea in search of some delectable fish to cure, brine, smoke and salt.
    • By David Ross
      Welcome back to a time-honored, cherished eG tradition, the eG Cook-Off Series. Today were venturing into a new world for Cook-Off's. Member Kerry Beal came forward with a Cook-Off idea we just couldn't pass up--Pork Belly--and inspired a new idea for future Cook-Off's. Knowing we're a community of great culinary minds, we'll be inviting the Members to send us ideas for potential future Cook-Off's, (more information to come later). Take it away Kerry and let's raid the larder and start cookin.
    • By David Ross
      Fall is but a whisper of the recent past--at least it is where I live in the upper reaches of Eastern, Washington. We had our first fluff of snow a week ago and a reasonable November storm is predicted for this weekend with temperatures holding at a chilly 18 degrees at night.
      Along with the rumblings of cold winter weather and Holiday feasts, we turn our culinary musings to time-treasured, comfortable dishes. And so I invite you to join me in another kitchen adventure--the inimitable eG Cook-Off Series. In 2013, we've tackled the tricky cooking of Squid, Calamari and Octopus and we made delicious dishes out of the humble Summer Squash.
      (Click here http://forums.egulle...cook-off-index/ for the complete eG Cook-Off Index).
      But today we're shunning all manner of counting calories, salt or fat content--for what is rich in flavor is good for the soul my dear friends. Please join me in crafting, nuturing and savoring a dish of Confit.
    • By David Ross
      Hello friends and welcome back to a time-honored tradition--the popular eG Cook-Off Series. We're in the heat of summer right now and our gardens are literally blooming with all manner of peak of the season ripe fruits and succulent vegetables. And there's no better time of year to honor a vegetable that is often maligned as not being as colorful or trendy as the chi-chi breakfast radish or the multi-hued rainbow chard.

In addition to not always being recognized for it's looks, every August and September it becomes the butt of jokes at State Fair competitions across the country. If you can get past the embarassment of seeing the poor devils dressed up and carved into silly, cartoon-like farm figures or pumped-up with organic steroids, you'll find a delicious, low-calorie vegetable packed with potassium and vitamin A. Yes friends, your dreams have come true for today we kick-off eG Cook-Off #62, "Summer Squash."
      (Click here http://forums.egulle...cook-off-index/ for the complete eG Cook-Off Index).

According to the University of Illinois Extension Office, summer squash, (also known in some circles as Italian marrow), are tender, warm-season vegetables that can be grown anytime during the warm, frost-free season. Summer squash differs from fall and winter squash, (like pumpkins, acorn and butternut squash), because it is harvested before the outer rind hardens. Some of the most popular summer squash are the Green and Yellow Zucchini, Scallop, Patty Pan, Globe, Butter Blossom and Yellow Crookneck.

My personal favorite summer squash is the versatile zucchini. Slow-cooked with sliced onion and ham hock, zucchini is perfectly comfortable nestled on a plate next to juicy, fried pork chops and creamy macaroni and cheese. But the chi-chi haute crowd isn't forgotten when it comes to zucchini, or, as the sniffy French call it, the "courgette." Tiny, spring courgette blossoms stuffed with herbs and ricotta cheese then dipped in tempura batter and gently fried are a delicacy found on Michelin-Star menus across the globe.

Won't you please join me in crafting some delicious masterpieces that showcase the culinary possibilities of delicious summer squash.