• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lillet No Longer Available?

Bueno

It has come to my attention that Lillet, a French aperitif wine has been discontinued by the LCBO? Why on Earth would the LCBO do that? It's an enormously popular drink used in MANY famous cocktails or enjoyed straight up. One of my favourites, in fact. So what could be so ridiculously dangerous about Lillet that the LCBO would decide to kill all access to it for people in Ontario?

Does anyone have any info? And the food/drink community continues to grow throughout the world... while it shrinks in Ontario.

What's next? The discontinuation / banning of wine all together?

ETA: spelling/grammar.

Edited by Bueno (log)

Yeah, I noticed this after they discontinued it, but before they sold out. I "stocked up" on it (read: my s.o. let me buy two bottles).

I've heard a rumor, though I can't confirm its veracity, that they've been having trouble with certain French suppliers/distributors, so this may be the source of the problem. In the meantime, I guess we're stuck with the Dubonnet Gold. Alternatively, the Quebec liquor system still has Lillet. And while I would never encourage anyone to break the law by bringing bottles across the border, you could certainly enjoy it while visiting Montreal or Gatineau!

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

Yeah, I noticed this after they discontinued it, but before they sold out. I "stocked up" on it (read: my s.o. let me buy two bottles).

I've heard a rumor, though I can't confirm its veracity, that they've been having trouble with certain French suppliers/distributors, so this may be the source of the problem. In the meantime, I guess we're stuck with the Dubonnet Gold. Alternatively, the Quebec liquor system still has Lillet. And while I would never encourage anyone to break the law by bringing bottles across the border, you could certainly enjoy it while visiting Montreal or Gatineau!

Aha! Thank you very kindly for the tip. What border? The one separating Quebec from the rest of Ontario? :D

Edited by Bueno (log)