• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Galveston's best

millersus

Skip the popular place called "Guido's". They haven't updated their menu or their restaurant since the 80's...or at least it looks that way. I can't give you any nicer places to eat that will probably live up to your expectations.

There is although, a great hole-in-the-wall joint called, "Shrimp and Stuff".

3901 Avenue O

Galveston, TX 77550

(409) 763-2805

Everything is fried, so don't expect health food. They do a good job though. I'd eat there any day before being caught dead near the seawall.

Good luck!

edited to add:

There is also a good ice cream parlor on "The Strand" in downtown galveston. Supposedly, its all made daily on the premises.

Edited by Morgan_Weber (log)

There's an older thread about Galveston.

I spent age 10-17 in Galveston and return every year or so.

I wouldn't really say that Gaido's is bad, just overpriced, but what do you expect from the island?

Shrimp and Stuff is hole-in-the-wall but the food is pretty bad, so it's just as overpriced as Gaido's. It's just a matter of whether you want to overpay for low-end food, or overpay for high-end food.

Perhaps the only redeeming food in Galveston is the Bronco. I usually had it from La Estacion and not from the original Doughnut Shop.

Ha! I'm going to defend my stance on Shrimp & Stuff. As long as the seafood is fresh, its pretty hard to jack up fried food. I always either get the fried shrimp or the fried oysters. My wife and I ate there about two months ago. I think for both of us with a couple of beers, the total was under 20 bucks.

Regarding Gaido's. In the same trip, we ate there with my in-laws, and everything tasted like it was moved from the Cisco truck and fired up in the kitchen. The prices are ridiculous for that kind of garbage. If you don't like Shrimp & Stuff, at least you only dropped $7-8/person. Kent, if that is 'overpaying' for a pile of fried food, I'd love to know what you think is reasonable.

Understand that I'm not claiming that Shrimp & Stuff has or deserves a Michelin Star--the only way to cook something in there is in a fry-o-later. The two restaurants are miles apart in styles. I'm just saying I'd rather pay next to nothing for decent fried seafood than sit in Gaido's, trying to make my way through their overpriced and enourmous menu, consisting of bacon-wrapped shrimp...snore...

We were in Galveston last week and had a wonderful grilled red snapper with a lump crab cream sauce at Gaidos and it was fabulous--no oysters yet. The best shrimp is at Fisherman's Warf sitting next to the tall ship Elissa. We had a change of pace at Olympia--really good Greek food and wine and the place is full of Greeks--be sure and visit the Flight Museum.

Cooking is chemistry, baking is alchemy.

We were in Galveston last week and had a wonderful grilled red snapper with a lump crab cream sauce at Gaidos and it was fabulous--no oysters yet. The best shrimp is at Fisherman's Warf sitting next to the tall ship Elissa.  We had a change of pace  at Olympia--really good Greek food and wine and the place is full of Greeks--be sure and visit the Flight Museum.

Greek food is one of our favorites, we'll definitely hit Olympia

i still go to gaido's when i'm in galveston, although i'll admit it's mostly for sentimental reasons. i remember my parents taking me and my brother there 20+ years ago. i remember thinking that it was a fancy restaurant back then, but i must have been 8 years old. i've noticed that people are dressed very casually when they dine there now.

the proliferation of chain restaurants on the seawall and near the strand over the past 10 years is disgusting. so i'll still visit this old standby.

i like the soup sampler and the oyster platter. sure, it's not a mindblowing meal, but it is a good one worth the nostagia, view of the gulf, and more importantly, to keep my money out of the tillman fertitta's pockets and help preserve this precious texas landmark.

"Our lives are not in the lap of the gods, but in the lap of our cooks."

-Lin Yutang, The Importance of Living, 1937

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

my friends with good food-cred have been raving about a dive called the cajun greek. they go mainly for fresh crab. apparently the owner is a crabber.

http://www.galveston.com/thecajungreek/

has anyone been? i'd love a review.

"Our lives are not in the lap of the gods, but in the lap of our cooks."

-Lin Yutang, The Importance of Living, 1937