• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Minneapolis Restaurants: Reviews & Recommendations

winodj

FYI, my first review for the Star Tribune is here.

Bruce

Very nice review Bruce and Karen. Aside from the specifics about the food, I like the way you create a picture of the space and also provide context for the entity as a whole. Very descriptive, yet economically-worded too.

Thanks for sharing that... :smile:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Snowangel:

That's funny. I was just at Patel grocery yesterday to get ingredients to make Bhel Puri. I will actually be up in the cities this weekend and probably be at Patel again with a friend to buy more Indian groceries. Let me know if you'd like to meet.

Incidentally, does anyone in this thread know Lynn Rossetto Kasper from the Splendid Table? I've been wanting to meet her forever. I just left a message on the 800 line as well as with her associate producer about my recent Indian dining experience in New York, as I thought that the chef would be an excellent guest (see Amma under the New York thread for various member musings on this excellent restaurant). She seems like a great person.

Matthew

Bruce

Way to go! Nice review. I'll look forward to more of these. Do let us TC'ers know when you have reviews published (or drafted) of local haunts. I did read your entire review packet!

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Chet's Taverna is a good spot and I 've dined fabulously well at Cafe 128. Ristorante Luci was so crowded and uncomfortable on my last and only visit that it completely overwhelmed my impressions of the food.

Have you tried the Sample Room - I love the food and experience there also.

Do you think we could get 6 or 8 of us together - could be interesting? I'm game for it.

Do you think we could get 6 or 8 of us together - could be interesting?  I'm game for it.

I mentioned this on the Twin Cities Farmer's Market Thread.

Yes, we should get together. I vote for something relatively inexpensive as to not exclude anyone (including me!), and suggested perhaps Korean, Vietnamese, Big E's, whatever.

So, I'm soliticiting suggestions (all sound good to me) and days/times.

I've been hankering for a local gathering for over a year, when I was seemingly the lone TC voice...

It's been so long since I've been to Goodfellow's that I don't trust any of my opinions.

Ditto. Goodfellows always seemed a little too "corporate/expense account" for me. Less to do with the food than with the atmosphere, methinks.

And, I'm more of a try someplace new person than an old standby person (unless, of course, it is 2:00 in the morning after a "long evening").

Bruce

Way to go! Nice review. I'll look forward to more of these. Do let us TC'ers know when you have reviews published (or drafted) of local haunts. I did read your entire review packet!

Will do.

Our Strib review is supposed to run weekly, assuming we can find enough restaurants to review in our geographical area.

Do you think we could get 6 or 8 of us together - could be interesting?  I'm game for it.

I mentioned this on the Twin Cities Farmer's Market Thread.

Yes, we should get together. I vote for something relatively inexpensive as to not exclude anyone (including me!), and suggested perhaps Korean, Vietnamese, Big E's, whatever.

So, I'm soliticiting suggestions (all sound good to me) and days/times.

I've been hankering for a local gathering for over a year, when I was seemingly the lone TC voice...

Okay. Let's do this.

The last time I tried going to the Sample Room, I think there was a problem with reservations: they don't take any.

Do we want to do it on a weeknight or a weekend? I suggest November 6th or November 14th.

Bruce

We could also meet as a smaller group for lunch downtown Minneapolis on the 31st.

Vincent?

Bruce

Yes. Even if it's just you and me.

One of the nice things about lunch is that even at a higher end restaurant, lunch is almost always very affordable, and I've been wanting to try Vincent.

Name a time?

Okay, so it's settled.  Vincent tomorrow at...12:30.  Okay?

Anyone else?  I'm gong to call in an hour or so.

Now, let's plan for the bigger event next month.

Bruce

You mentioned the 31st in your previous post?

I know AlexP was interested in the 31st, but does not have internet access until Monday (10/27).

Do you think doing something on Hallowe'en will be a problem?

Bring your calendar tomorrow; we can hash it out then.

See you tomorrow at 12:30 pm. Looking forward to it. I got the garage painted, so my outdoor chores are done, and I think I just barely made it weather-wise.

Hey all:

There's a slight chance I might be able to make it to lunch tomorrow (if it's okay if I join you). The only think that might keep me is if my 10 am meeting goes too long. I'm hoping to be on the road by 11:00 to head up to Minneapolis. What's the restaurant again?

Incidentally, has any one tried Fhima (Sp?) in Downtown St. Paul yet? Is it good?

Matt

Matthew, back in the day of "Cooks of Crocus Hill" (same building Cafe Latte is in) which moved across the street and became Thrice, I took several classes there. Lynn was teaching and if I remember right was and still may be one of the owners. She is a delightful woman. Thrice may help you get in touch with her if MPR doesn't work out. good luck!

Okay; there's a plan.

We're going to host a Minneapolis eGullet pot luck dinner on Saturday, November 15th.

Details will be forthcoming on a separate thread, once we figure out what they are.

Bruce (and Snowangel)