• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Melbourne Restaurants

We tried Ladro last night and the food was excellent - I had a pizza margherita, great crust and sauce, lovey little fior di latte spots and husband had linguine in bianco wth shrimp and rocket - all very good.

Today we had brunch at Los Amates on Johnston and were pleasantly surprised - authentic Mexican menu and good flavours, and of course, reasonably priced - will go back for dinner

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have been here since 1976 so have been around

Few things have changed since then and so has Praharan market SUXS BIG TIME well overpriced even the so quality self imposed label does not stick anymore. A few doors away Aldi beats many the market hands down.

As far as Brazilian restaurants still my good old friends in Richmond's Chrurch St although I have not been there for few years (don't have to).

Argentineans restaurants have not faired as good simply because those that have attempted to open one have little or no marketing skills let alone price structure besides many of the beef products here in Victoria are still not available or hard to get from abbatoirs or in the open market.

Sandra, welcome!

There will be lots for you to discover in Melbourne.

Re: the chiles... My poor little seedlings wilted and died in the massive summer heat. The Mexican food shop has a website that says it is still in the same location, near the airport.

Do give aux batifolles a try.

Kathryn

If only Jack Nicholson could have narrated my dinner, it would have been perfect.

Well, I went to the Mexican "warehouse" out by the airport - took a while to find! I got some tortillas and some sauces and a tub or mole colorado, which I have not tried yet, but it is a brand I recognise from Mexico, so should be ok -

Los Amates was surprisingly good for brunch

So sad about your chiles! they can temperamental, which is why I have never tried growing them...

That's too bad about Argentinean restos, you would think they might do well here - really all you need is an Argentine butcher. Oh well... I have noticed that milanesas feature BIG in butcher shops!

Is there any dulce de leche to be had?

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~

Well, I went to the Mexican "warehouse" out by the airport - took a while to find! I got some tortillas and some sauces and a tub or mole colorado, which I have not tried yet, but it is a brand I recognise from Mexico, so should be ok -

So sad about your chiles! they can temperamental, which is why I have never tried growing them...

That's too bad about Argentinean restos, you would think they might do well here - really all you need is an Argentine butcher. Oh well... I have noticed that milanesas feature BIG in butcher shops!

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~

That's too bad about Argentinean restos, you would think they might do well here - really all you need is an Argentine butcher.  Oh well... I have noticed that milanesas feature BIG in butcher shops!

Think you talking about Aztec Foods near Tulla?

Argentinean butchers there are only very few some so called Italo/Argentinean still in the community though in the far flung suburbs or mostly among the Italian communities scattered in various suburbs.

As far as Dulce de Leche I haven't had it for years now I rather my wife used to boil condensed milk when we first arrived here. There are recipes on internet in Spanish that can be easily translated from forums like this from either Argentinean, Spanish or Italian languages.

If I know of some Argentinean butchers I would like to know and will also let you know

ATM I make my own chorizos but the meat market products here aren't as widely open as that of NSW or Queensland.

Oh .... I know how to make dulce de leche, (and spanish is my first language, I'm 1/2 Arg 1/2 Uruguayan - grew up in Mexico) I just cannot be bothered, and I'm not crazy about the condensed milk stuff - I was hoping for some La Salamandra or others, which I could get in London - bugger...

It is the Aztec Foods I was talking about - maybe I'll go back some time....

I did find white corn tortillas at Safeway, which was a nice surprise

Home made chorizos - now that sounds nice!

Think you talking about Aztec Foods near Tulla?

Argentinean butchers there are only very few some so called Italo/Argentinean still in the community though in the far flung suburbs or mostly among the Italian communities scattered in various suburbs.

As far as Dulce de Leche I haven't had it for years now I rather my wife used to boil condensed milk when we first arrived here. There are recipes on internet in Spanish that can be easily translated from forums like this from either Argentinean, Spanish or Italian languages.

If I know of some Argentinean butchers I would like to know and will also let you know

ATM I make my own chorizos but the meat market products here aren't as widely open as that of NSW or Queensland.

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~

• 6 months later...

What sort of place are you looking for? Somewhere a bit quieter with well spaced tables? Or are you just entertaining, so you want somewhere with a bit of atmosphere? How much do you want to spend? What sort of food are you after?

Daniel Chan aka "Shinboners"

Call me boring But I think the Botanical on Domain road is a good place.

Very contempory and has somethigns that suits all.

Also consider Il Nostro Baretto in the CBD. (very loud)

For fusion asian try one of the Bourke st ones, Gingerboy, Longrain etc.

Malaysian I like Laksa Me in Liverpool Lane.

But i'm with shinboners, each one of the restaraunts I just gave you very different. you need to narrow it down man.

• 3 weeks later...
I also tried Grill'd in St. Kilda and wasn't impressed.  The meat was flavorless and tasted almost like a garden burger.

Grill'd has been useless for a long time. When it first started, it was very good. The burgers were tasty and the pricing was good. But with more shops, the quality has gone down, the prices have gone up, and it has become a rip off.

Daniel Chan aka "Shinboners"

I also tried Grill'd in St. Kilda and wasn't impressed.  The meat was flavorless and tasted almost like a garden burger.

Grill'd has been useless for a long time. When it first started, it was very good. The burgers were tasty and the pricing was good. But with more shops, the quality has gone down, the prices have gone up, and it has become a rip off.

The last time I went to Grill'd (mid-2006), I thought it was quite good.

I went to the Hawthorn (?) branch, on Riversdale Road, near Swinburne Uni.