• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anyone buy supplies at Restaurant Supply Stores?

Mambwe

I have been shopping in a restaurant supply store for many years.

I have bought tons of Vollrath cookware, utensils, bowls, and their best quality flatware, etc. for pennies on the dollar; Dexter Russell utensils, Thorpe professional rolling pins, a used Robot Coupe R2 complete with everything [$50], and so many other things it boogles the mind. The big one was a vintage maple 36 by 36 maple butcher block table they bought especially for me.

I equipped 3 or 4 church kitchens with their equipment and cookware at bargain prices they gave me to help the churches.

I made friends with the owners and they gave me a 15 inch diameter cast iron fry pan for Christmas! They ordered it with me in mind and it was a lovely sweet surprise. I was overwhelmed by their kindness. :wub:

And yes, we are still friends, and I am proud of their success.

A-1 New & Used Restaurant Equipment Outlet

Jerry Keck and Rodney Vincent

823 Kansas Ave.

Topeka, Ks 66608

Toll free 888-799-8059

785-235-8059

Tell them Marilyn sent you....

I have been shopping in a restaurant supply store for many years.

I have bought tons of Vollrath cookware,  utensils, bowls, and their best quality flatware, etc. for pennies on the dollar; Dexter Russell utensils, Thorpe professional rolling pins, a used Robot Coupe R2 complete with everything [$50], and so many other things it boogles the mind.  The big one was a vintage maple 36 by 36 maple butcher block table they bought especially for me.

I equipped 3 or 4 church kitchens with their equipment and cookware at bargain prices they gave me to help the churches.

I made friends with the owners and they gave me a 15 inch diameter cast iron fry pan for Christmas!  They ordered it with me in mind and it was a lovely sweet surprise.  I was overwhelmed by their kindness. :wub:

And yes, we are still friends, and I am proud of their success.

A-1 New & Used Restaurant Equipment Outlet

Jerry Keck and Rodney Vincent

823 Kansas Ave.

Topeka, Ks  66608

Toll free 888-799-8059

785-235-8059

Tell them Marilyn sent you....

Thanks for the info, after hitting up a couple stores in KC I was, let's say, less than overwhelmed. I've been meaning to head out to Topeka to visit a friend, maybe this will be the motivation needed to get me of my rump, lol.

the one thing I buy at these places are great big pasta bowls and soup bowls..with plates to go under them....standard white and thick nothing fancy and I dont even care about the brand I just grab what feels right and looks simple .....it is the only place I can find them to suit me and they do not chip or break like stuff I buy elsewhere

oh yes and soup spoons! nice deep feel good in your hand fit into my big mouth soup spoons ...

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

i pass by restaurant depot all the time but its closed to the public. maybe, its just me, but i've never understood that policy where you wouldn't more business or more customers.

Not sure where you live but the restaurant depot in Queens, NY offers a day pass at no cost and no questions asked. The only drawback is that you have to pay cash for everything. I have been there a few times and as I move into my house I will buy a lot more things there. Other locations in NY wouldn't allow me to buy anything. I guess it depends on the location

I forgot one item I can not imagine buying anywhere else

beer glasses...it is because I purchased two boxes of sturdy pint glasses... for a great deal and have never had one break! (I just jinxed myself didn't I?) about 5 years ago

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet