• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anyone buy supplies at Restaurant Supply Stores?

Mambwe

I am lucky enough to have Wasserstrom's superstore here in Columbus, OH. I buy nearly everything there! Cambro containers are the absolute best. Wonderful gadgets, hotel pans in a bazillion sizes. Of course, it helps that I have a french door Victory 47 cu. ft. fridge, and a full size Duke convection oven.

I have no use for pretty pots, they are just hard to keep looking that way.

One other thing.... if you are into the heavy german steel, ie Wusthof, etc..... they are less than a third the price of the boutiques.

Pros use this stuff for a reason. Why buy expensive "pro look" stuff when you can have the real deal for MUCH less?

In Chicago these guys come recommended :

Herzog Store Fixture Co.

1034 W. Madison St.

Chicago, Illinois

I buy take out containers at supply stores. Kinda of hit for things like Thanks Giving leftovers.

"And in the meantime, listen to your appetite and play with your food."

Alton Brown, Good Eats

I buy take out containers at supply stores. Kinda of hit for things like Thanks Giving leftovers.

What a great idea! I hate having to keep a ton of tupperware for outgoing leftovers.

"In a perfect world, cooks who abuse fine cutlery would be locked in a pillory and pelted with McNuggets."

- Anthony Bourdain

Vollrath Tribute pots and pans - what we use in a professional kitchen. The Tribute line is totally functional and half the cost of All-Clad, but does not have the beautiful stainless steel finish. Available at any restaurant supply store.

Most of the Vollrath Tribute line is 8 gauge (except for the very smallest pieces, which are 10 gauge). They are aluminum core with an interior and exterior cladding of stainless steel, just like the All-Clad Stainless line. However, Vollrath's specifications are actually a little better.

Tim, a micrometer-equipped eGulleter, recently measured All-Clad Stainless at 0.100 inches (2.54 mm) thickness, and MC-2 at 0.120 inches (3.05 mm). 8 gauge aluminum is 0.1285 inches (3.26 mm) thick.

This strikes me as a small difference, but certainly a meaningful one considering that you can get a 10 inch Vollrath Tribute frypan with better specifications for around 45 bucks whereas the same size frypan in All-Clad Stainless retails for over 100 dollars and deep discounts at around 70 (MC-2 retails at around 90 and deep discounts to around 60).

--

Another reason to love a restaurant supply store -- parchment paper. I get a box of 1,000 half-sheet pan size sheets for something like 25 bucks, compared to a tiny roll at the grocery (which is all curled up!) for almost 5 bucks. If you think 1,000 sheets is way too much, give some away for gifts.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Another reason to love a restaurant supply store -- parchment paper.  I get a box of 1,000 half-sheet pan size sheets for something like 25 bucks, compared to a tiny roll at the grocery (which is all curled up!) for almost 5 bucks.  If you think 1,000 sheets is way too much, give some away for gifts.

Me too!

And I still have part of a box of the full-size pan liners.

like this

But no longer have my big Blodgett oven. Since I do much less baking, I sold it and now have a large space to be filled, probably with an oven and warming drawer. Haven't decided on the details yet.

Meanwhile, the pan liners have come in handy for wrapping stuff.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Mambwe... I never looked for restaurant supply stores on LI, so I don't know where they are, but you might want to specify region, since LI is pretty big...

I live in Plainview, which is pretty much the center of the island. I drive around all day for work so location is not much of an issue. I see them all the time in Brooklyn I have just never stopped in.

Regarding places on Long Island...

There's a place called Bar Boy in Farmingdale. (Division Street? or maybe I'm remembering wrong.)

Another place I go to more often because it's closer to me is Ideal. It's in Carle Place (or is it Westbury?) It's on Voice Road, right near where Glen Cove Road meets Old Country Road.

I love wandering around in both of these places. (Need a box of 250 birthday cake candles? No problem!)

jayne

I go because I like looking at all the things in restaurant supply stores. I was a line cook for a few years quite a while back. I got used to using sizzle platters for just about everything that went into the oven or under the broiler. I searched in vain to buy an assortment for my own use. An interesting note here is that it was one of those on-line searches that somehow turned up Fat Guys web site and ultimately led me here, but I digress. It wasn't until I saw all the places along Bowery in Manhattan that I finally scored a supply. I still return from time to time and buy the odd item I discover I must have.

HC

I've been going to Northwestern Cutlery in Chicago for years. I began going there because they sharpen knives while you wait, for like $3 per knife. As far as restaurant supply stores go, they are on the smaller side, but a lot of the stuff they are missing is more of use to restaurants than to home cooks. They also stock a few consumer brands (such as All-Clad). The staff is incredibly helpful, especially about knives.

Some of my best finds there are Vollrath nonstick fry pans ($25) and half sheet pans for $5.

They are located in Lake St in Chicago in an area that has tons of restaurant supply stores, meat packing facilities, etc. It's a great neighborhood to explore.

Note that the website, linked below, is mostly geared for home chefs. It doesn't contain all of their inventory.

Northwestern Cutlery

http://www.nwcutlery.com/

810 West Lake Street

Chicago, IL 60007

Ph: 888-248-4449

Fax: 312-421-7016

e-mail: info@nwcutlery.com

Edited by Darren72 (log)

Oh, I miss the restaurant supply store I used to frequent in St. Louis!  If anyone in Boston knows of a good one, please let me know.

What I liked most about my old haunt was the clearance room--discontinued items, incomplete cases of plates, glasses, etc. were all sold cheap.  I have stacks of mid-sized plates that I picked up for $1 a piece, perfect for desserts or buffets.  Extra forks, 25 for $10, nice to have on hand.  Wine glasses, serving pieces, etc.--you get the point.

In downtown, there's Eastern Baker's Supply - I've never been there because there are two others closer to home for me. Gerrish Peters is in Lawrence, and United Restaurant in Lowell (www.unitedrestaurant.com)

Another reason to love a restaurant supply store -- parchment paper.  I get a box of 1,000 half-sheet pan size sheets for something like 25 bucks, compared to a tiny roll at the grocery (which is all curled up!) for almost 5 bucks.  If you think 1,000 sheets is way too much, give some away for gifts.

cool, i didn't know this existed. i only knew about rolls and full sheet.

this is worth a field trip.

Notes from the underbelly

In Anaheim, CA:

Concord on Anaheim Blvd at Ball Road. They leave you alone to shop but will gladly help you if you ask for it. I get gift money from my f.i.l (birthday/Christmas) and recently bought a new 12" knife steel at Concord for $9 to be part of my traveling knife set.

In Montclair, CA (approx 30 miles east of LA):

Arrow Restaurant Supply on Arrow west of Monte Vista: Again, they leave you alone to shop.

I like to wander these stores like my wife likes to look at jewelry. I would never have guessed that they run sales just like any other business - which since I'm not normally desparate for any given item makes it really fun to look around for my latest find. I do have enough discipline, however, to only part cash for items I will actually use.

Sam's Club has a limited selection of supplies also. I just added a 13 Qt Tramaltina (sp?) S/S steel mixing bowl to my collection of S/S mixing bowls. (There's a reason I have to have a large capacity dishwasher :raz: )

Last but not least: eBay!!! You have to know what things are worth but I have purchased a lot of Vollrath hotel pans and Cambro & Rubbermaid plastic hotel pans. Steaming baskets, a pasta pot, an Edlund can opener - just some of the goodies I've purchased. However, I'm a bargain hunter. I have 3 searches bookmarked with a $20.00 curent max bid limit. That keeps my from drooling over things that look nice but I don't need and shouldn't spend money on. A major part of my eBay shopping is for things that I use for my volunteer cooking.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

With our major holiday cookie baking frenzy (enough cookies to fill 30 tims and several plates) coming up I will go check it out. After my wife discovered my 1/2 sheet pans and parchment paper she doesn't care to use anything else and I couldn't agree more.

Susan, have you ever tried baking bacon on parchment on 1/2 sheet pans instead of frying?

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Another great thread.

Any suggestions for New Jersey? When I stop working in (lower) Manhattan mid-December, I will have only limited access to the restaurant supply stores down here. (Not to mention, lugging pots and pans to and from work, then onto the subway, then a bus through the Lincoln Tunnel is a real drag.)

We're moving to the Princeton area, so Central Jersey would be ideal.

Thanks!

Lisa

Oh, I miss the restaurant supply store I used to frequent in St. Louis!  If anyone in Boston knows of a good one, please let me know.

I just saw an advertisement for one in Acton, MA at the intersection of 2A and 27. I haven't had a chance to check it out yet.

Jim

I have to chime in here....

Coming from a restaurant background, I just did not see the point to buying cookware from Macys or the house of needless markup. We'd always shop at the supply store.

Vollrath makes some of the best stuff on the market - my dad still has his original set of tongs from when he opened 30 years ago. Yes, they still work. No, he won't use anything else.

Superior Products - now a division of US Foodservice has outlets all over the USA. If I recall correctly there are around 12 or 13 of them across the country. My local was in Orlando, they have others all over according to their website

http://www.superprod.com/category/store+locator.do

Looks like they've expanded a bit since the last time I've been to their website.

Anyways, at each store they normally have markdowns on items like a loose case of glassware, a couple odds and ends, discontinued styles of poi ramekins and such.

The BEST PART ABOUT shopping in the closeout section is that if you know what you're doing, you can haggle. Back about 10 years ago, I remember my dad finding 1/2 a case of glassware (I cannot say enough good things about Libbey Duratuff by the way) and getting the manager to halve the marked price - where else are you going to buy 12 ounce service for 25 cents each? I don't even think Walmart can do that.

Enough rambling, just figured I'd give you all wondering where a good place to shop at would be.

Edited by dukeofurl (log)

• 3 months later...
Since others are recommending the places they shop at, I'll do the same.

In Dallas, I go to Ace Mart.  I visit the location on Forest Lane at Webb Chapel.

http://www.acemart.com/merchant.mv?Screen=STORES

This is the location of Ace Mart I have shopped at for several years. I find the people to be very helpful. I always look here first before Sur La Table or Williams Sonoma. I have bought such things as cutting boards, Vollrath stainless steel bowls (great sturdy bowls) , ice cream scoops, pastry bags and tips, knife roll, chocolate fork, cake pans, various scrapers and other tools, Cambro and Carlisle containers for refrigerator storage - as well as for flours, sugars and such. Also inexpensive deli containers in three sizes (all take the same size lid) for leftovers. And more.

I have to chime in also and recommend Star Restaurant Supply on Sepulveda Blvd in Van Nuys, CA. They are excellent.

I looked everywhere -- including Macy's -- for a very large heavy stainless steel roasting pot and couldn't find one anywhere. Then I went to Star Restaurant Supply. I walked out with two roasters -- one enormous, one very big -- and have been using them happily for years.

I get things like parchment paper, muslin, small steel skewers, and butcher's twine there: all products I could find no where else.

As a previous poster said, it is a pleasure to browse there and I always find products that I didn't know I needed LOL.

By the way, I also own a complete set of All Clad stainless steel and I congratulate you on your purchase. They are great to cook with and easy to clean. The only thing is they get discolored unless you use stainless steel cleaner on them.

Unless I find a really good deal on a Le Creuset oven, etc. somewhere online, I really depend upon a restaurant supply store over in Kansas City, Kansas for most of my cookware needs. Can you ever really have too many sheet pans? They have good closeout deals too....I got one of those big metal racks like you see in professional kitchens and computer server rooms for about $70. It was green, so I guess it wasn't moving, but went perfectly with my louder than loud yellow kitchen.

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

Unless I find a really good deal on a Le Creuset oven, etc. somewhere online, I really depend upon a restaurant supply store over in Kansas City, Kansas for most of my cookware needs.  Can you ever really have too many sheet pans?  They have good closeout deals too....I got one of those big metal racks like you see in professional kitchens and computer server rooms for about $70.  It was green, so I guess it wasn't moving, but went perfectly with my louder than loud yellow kitchen.

What supply store might you be speaking of? I was planning on trekking out to one next weekend but there doesn't seem to be an over abundance of them in the KC area.

Thanks.