• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sharpening techninques

paulraphael

Did you search the author's name? It's come up before :biggrin:

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

I've seen this sight before and it has some good information but for users of wetstones, there's not a whole lot that applies. I've never read the entire thing but there wasn't a whole lot to learn from that I didn't get elsewhere. Regarding the guides they would be fine if one was concerned about keeping the same angle manually. But there are a few issues. Like I don't think you can get the acute angles needed for Japanese knives, would be cumbersome to work with having to constantly move the guide down the length of the knife after a few strokes which loses any momentum built up, couldn't work the whole stone due to it's size. Regarding the sandpaper mounted to glass, that's a very good way to sharpen knives. Many people use the 3M paper mounted to granite slabs or glass plates and can get very good results. Here is a link to the paper to use. Sharpening on a mousepad is also another way to go. I've never done it but from what I remember people saying, it's great for making a convex edge.

Edited by Octaveman (log)

My Photography: Bob Worthington Photography

My music: Coronado Big Band

I just realized that I read about the mousepad trick here in the EG sharpening tutorial. Steve Bottorff's site only seems to mention sandpaper on wood or glass, so sorry for any confusion.

As far as you know, do the people who use sandpaper use as a substitute for waterstones, or in addition to them? I'd be curious to know what the pros and cons are.

Also if the pros and cons of the kind of convex edge you'd get from stropping on a mousepad.

Notes from the underbelly

Sorry, Paul, I've used wetstones exclusively and can't recall what I've read on knife forums regarding the use of the sharpening films. I suggest potsing this on KF or FF as those people have direct experience and can answer any question you may have.

My Photography: Bob Worthington Photography

My music: Coronado Big Band

• 1 month later...