• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

In NYC for 1 day

stickyii

if price is no object, the city's best restaurants are:

Per Se, Masa, Jean-Georges, Les Bernardin, Daniel....and then you'll have arguments for Esca, Babbo, Robuchon, Eleven Madison Park, Picholine, WD-50 and the Modern.  all of these restaurants can give you a special meal.

for something different, consider Momofuku Ssam Bar....where every chef that visits NY goes right now...and for good reason, it's the most exciting restaurant in the city....and very casual.  for something different, consider Tailor.

Prune and Red Cat (???????) are nice neighborhood places.  I'm incredulous that anyone would even cross town for them as a destination.  you can find restaurants like them in every city in the country...I find it kind of absurd to send a visitor to them.

Agreed. And on top of that, both Prune and Red Cat have declined somewhat (possibly due to their owners' attentions being divided) in my opinion in the last couple of years.

IMO, it depends a bit on whence you're visiting. Any chance you can let us know?

If I had an unlimited amount of money, I'd go to Masa, but that's largely because I'd feel like I were getting the biggest bang for my buck. Masa is *not* my favorite dining experience in NY (for that matter, neither is Per Se), but in both cases, that is a matter of taste. That said, IMO Masa appeals to a smaller subset of the eaters found in NY (*serious* ingredients-focused Japanese food aficionados who are not specifically partial to sushi) than might Per Se.

"Best" is of course subjective. Here are my own takes:

Luxury eating: Per Se, bar none. "Pampered" and "cosseted" are pretty much spot-on what you're likely to feel. That said, if you've eaten at the French Laundry, I'd skip it, since there are too many other exemplars of cuisine to be found in NY to do Keller's again. (Note that I think Per Se wins for luxury, but not necessarily for cuisine; IMHO there are more exciting places for sheer gastronomic heights.)

There are, of course, many other restaurants in this category, but IMO the only other ones worth the single-meal criterion are Jean-Georges and the Modern. Others have their faves; I happen to love Bouley where lots of other posters don't, and lots of other posters adore 11 Madison Park whereas I'm less thrilled.

Sheer gluttony: Babbo. Recent reports have indicated some inconsistency, but I've never been disappointed. And man, you will *not* be disappointed at the quantity!

Intimate experience: Masa definitely wins out here at the high (oh so high!) level, although you must ask to be seated near the chef.

Modern gastronomy: Assuming that you like restaurants in the style of Gagnaire, El Bulli, or Alinea, I'd go with WD-50, possibly being a huge glutton and hitting Tailor afterward for a second round of desserts (or even a second meal; portions are small!).

For what New Yorkers are eating and enjoying the heck out of, I'd say that the place to be is Momofuku Ssam Bar. As Nathan said, it is serious industry/foodie central right now.

Mayur Subbarao, aka "Mayur"

Why New York.. I would suggest a trip to Jersey.. Haha.. Just kidding.. Jean Gorges for lunch.

Where are you from, how old are you, what type of food do you like to eat.

I'm 18 from Tampa Florida and have never met a single food i didn't like( I mean this), I hardly eat astronomical foods (often) here in town and am looking for the best experiance possible

Why New York.. I would suggest a trip to Jersey.. Haha.. Just kidding.. Jean Gorges for lunch.

I'm 18 from Tampa Florida and have never met a single food i didn't like( I mean this), I hardly eat astronomical foods (often) here in town and am looking for the best experiance possible

I bet the Japanese places wont card you...

I bet the Japanese places wont card you...

Neither will the French, Italian or Spanish ones.

I'd go with Per Se, then, if only because you are going to be provided with unprecedented spoiling. Jean-Georges is a close second in this regard, as are (IMO) Bouley and the Modern, but at those restaurants, you will not get as many second chances, so to speak. Extra courses, *immediate* replacement of unsatisfactory dishes, extensive (and often unsolicited!) wine pairings, and the like are integral parts of the Per Se experience, as they are at the best Michelin 3-stars in France.

JG is different in that the setting is more minimalist, the wine service knowledgeable and accommodating but not necessarily as in-your-face in that the sommelier will entertain conversation and select excellent pairings on request but is not as quick to intervene and/or immediately provide the wine you didn't know you wanted but you love upon presentation, etc. I prefer the food at JG (and at Bouley and the Modern, FWIW) but that's a style issue. Per Se is IMO the quintessential luxury cuisine experience, and consequently, if you're aiming for "astronomical" plus a great experience, it's what I'd go for.

That said, it is my opinion that the most exciting dining destinations in NY these days are the downscaled, less luxe options. If you're after something highly foodie-ish, cool, and likely to deliver the best bang for the buck, I'd stick to Momofuku Ssam Bar, WD-50, Tailor, or the Modern, probably in that order.

Mayur Subbarao, aka "Mayur"