• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gavroche Vs Petrus - you decide.....

Following the current trend I thought it appropriate that I set up an X-factor, Strictly Come Dancing style of decision making process for what is for me a rare restaurant dilemma.

I have the apparent good fortune of getting married next April and as such I am planning a luxury weekend away in London a couple of weeks before the big day to keep the good lady as calm and relaxed as possible. As is normal food, wine and champagne will be at the centre of procedings and I am deliberating as to where we should go for dinner on the Friday (at the ballet on the Saturday).

Now I obviously need somewhere with good food but also somewhere which is highly romantic as I will be presenting her with a wedding gift. My initial thoughts are that Petrus or Gavroche will be best but there may be other options. I've done Gavroche at lunch but never in an evening and I am just a bit concerned that it never seems to shake off it's clubby, business feel. However I've never done Petrus at lunch or dinner but it never seems to get as rave reviews as Gavroche does for its food.

I can't think of anywhere better than these two options (GR RHR too white and shiny now and never was too romantic, pied the same problem etc...) but if anyone has any other thoughts it would be appreciated. No need to worry on a budget for this one - feel free to let immaginations run wild!

Edited by Paul Reynard (log)

I was in Petrus last week for dinner, and there were plenty of people there for special occasions (although nothing twee so don't get the wrong impression here). It's a nice space, service, food etc was excellent and it doesn't feel at all stuffy. There were only two tables that were "businessy". It would be lovely for a romantic dinner. It's a long time since I was in Le Gavroche, so unfortunately, can't update you on that.

Hmm, my initial thoughts were Petrus - I personally believe the food is appreciably better, it is more modern with some interesting touches. It also benefits from the fact that it is not a basement room like le Gavroche. On the flip side, there is something rather romantic about Le Gavroche - the character of the room, the traditional menu, the formal service etc. If it were me, I would probably plump for Petrus though, or otherwise Pied a Terre which I highly rate.

If a man makes a statement and a woman is not around to witness it, is he still wrong?

Le Gavroche for me. We were last there a few months ago and it was as good as ever. Food is more french classic than Petrus with a modern twist and the service is impeccable. I also like the room, even though it is a basement.

Petrus for me. Never been on a Friday but I suspect the vast majority of business lunches/dinners are midweek so you should be safe. Also worth considering Hibiscus, it will definately tick the box for quality of food but you will need to wait until it is avidly reviewed on this forum and elsewhere to see if it will be sufficiently romantic.

As Petrus seems to be coming out on top can anyone suggest a 'best table' or are they all a much of a muchness?

They are all pretty good tables, but one of the ones at the far end of the restaurant away from the kitchen and by the window would be lovely

If a man makes a statement and a woman is not around to witness it, is he still wrong?

As Petrus seems to be coming out on top can anyone suggest a 'best table' or are they all a much of a muchness?

They are all pretty good tables, but one of the ones at the far end of the restaurant away from the kitchen and by the window would be lovely

I've only eaten there a couple of times, but would say completely the opposite. I don;t want to see the drunks wandering past. The kitchen end is lovely, can watch everything happening. Also, late bookings (10pm etc) are great. There's nothing more romantic (IMHO) about being the last couple in a restaurant, still receiving good/great service while they're cleaning up...last time we were there, the sommelier had gone and we ended up being treated to dessert wine because as the Head Waitress put it, 'she didn't feel she'd offered proper advice...'

Oh and they did the Tarte Tatin (usually for two) just for me. Which marks the place out as dangerous to the cholesterol (sp?) levels...

It no longer exists, but it was lovely.

It would be Le Gavroche for me. Although I like Petrus for its near-perfect food and service, I love Gavroche for its classic, sometimes nostalgic approach, huge wine list, world-class service and romantic feel. I have been there both at lunch and dinner times. The risk to run into business people eating on expenses is minimal in the evening. Lots of elegant people, couples going out for a real treat, distinguished gentlemen in Savile Row suits, sophisticated ladies in litte black dresses, families occupying large tables. But nobody negotiating a contract or talking about numbers, prices, taxes.

It would be Le Gavroche for me. Although I like Petrus for its near-perfect food and service, I love Gavroche for its classic, sometimes nostalgic approach, huge wine list, world-class service and romantic feel. I have been there both at lunch and dinner times. The risk to run into business people eating on expenses is minimal in the evening. Lots of elegant people, couples going out for a real treat, distinguished gentlemen in Savile Row suits, sophisticated ladies in litte black dresses, families occupying large tables.  But nobody negotiating a contract or talking about numbers, prices, taxes.

Huge wine list - it's bigger than the bible! I have to say I was very impressed on one visit where they did not have the wine I ordered so they offered to give me an older vintage of it at the same cost, despite the fact there was a whopping price difference.