• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Looking for the best that NY has to offer..

A Patric

Hi all,

I'll be in NY for about a week in early November. I am looking for the best that NY has to offer in the following categories:

-Bakery (hearth breads)

-Pastry shops

-Bagel Bakery

-Cheese shop (fromagerie)

-Sub sandwiches (is that what they are called in NY?)

-Any good ethnic food that I probably can't find in Missouri (i.e., not anything common like Indian, Chinese, Japanese, Mexican, Greek, etc.)

-Restaurant of any type that is a very good value for the quality of food.

-Butcher where I can find prime dry-aged steaks.

I'm not looking for any upscale places this time around.

Any other suggestions not on the list are also appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

This link ought to get you started...

And since bagels aren't on that list, I'll throw out the idea of tearing in to some hot ones from H&H while sitting on the curb across the street. Particularly memorable if it's done around 2 or 3am. Really. :biggrin:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

We call "sub sandwiches" hero(e)s, but I really don't know where the best ones are. You might check under the "THE BEST: Sandwiches" thread linked from the thread Curlz linked to above. (Holy run-on sentence, Batman!)

Michael aka "Pan"

Hi all,

I'll be in NY for about a week in early November.  I am looking for the best that NY has to offer in the following categories:

-Bakery (hearth breads)

-Pastry shops

-Bagel Bakery

-Any good ethnic food that I probably can't find in Missouri (i.e., not anything common like Indian, Chinese, Japanese, Mexican, Greek, etc.)

Thanks in advance,

Andy,

There are tons of threads on here addressing each of those topics, but I'll give you a few of my favorites nonetheless:

Bakery: Sullivan St, Balthazar, City Bakery

Pastry Shops: Lady M, Bouchon Bakery

Bagels: My favorites are from Bagel Bob on 10th and University, H&H are also good

Cheese: Saxelby in Essex Market, Murrays

Subs: no idea, not a big NY food

Ethnic: Sripraphai for Thai (Woodside), Spicy & Tasty or Little Pepper for Sichuan (Flushing), many many others if you're more specific. Also, I sincerely doubt you can get Indian, Chinese and Japanese of similar quality in Missouri, but maybe I'm not familiar.

Value: All three above, Grand Sichuan (St. Marks is my preferred location), Tides, Little Owl, Perry St lunch on weekend, Jean Georges lunch during the week

Butcher: Ottomanelli, Lobels

Other: DiFara (pizza), Katz's (pastrami)

You'll get about 90% off these answers from everyone, the rest are my quirky favorites.

For the best sandwich, I'd get on a PATH train-or better yet, a ferry-and cross the Hudson River and go to Hoboken. VITO'S is the answer! Washington Street between...9th and 10th, iirc.

Or, you could search out this one, but you can do just as well (if not better and a lot faster) at Vito's! Just remember they're closed on Monday.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

Hi all,

I'll be in NY for about a week in early November.  I am looking for the best that NY has to offer in the following categories:

-Bakery (hearth breads)

-Pastry shops

-Bagel Bakery

Thanks in advance,

The chains that were pointed out to you will probably give you all you need. Here's a few suggestions I'd make, which are probably on the lists:

Cheese Shop: Murray's Cheese on Bleecker. Comprehensive selection and great staff that know a lot and will give you tastes.

Butcher: Lobel's is the classic NY butcher shop. Also good is Florence in the West Village.

"Sub": While general subs here are called heroes/heros, I don't think there are many life-changing ones. However, you might want to treat yourself to a great banh mi (Vietnamese sub) if you've never had one...there are a couple of really good examples. Places to go for this are Saigon Banh Mi Bakery (on Mott), Banh Mi So. 1 (on Grand) and Nicky's Vietnamese Sandwiches in the East Village. Personally, I think a good banh mi is better than any hero/sub/grinder/hoagie of American origin.

Bagel: I may get flamed for this, but I don't think there aren't that many great bagels left in NYC, surprisingly. H & H is the most famous, but I don't think they're what they used to be, and I don't think many places make their own anymore, or do it the "old way". I'd be curious to see if anyone on this list has a NY-style bagel place that they still would rave about.

Some ethnic places: Sriraphai (already mentioned upthread), Thailand Restaurant on Baxter and Bayard, Doyers Vietnamese (on, you guessed it, Doyers Street). Also, even though you have Chinese, you may want to do dim sum at one of the places in Chinatown or Flushing, since you probably don't have much authentic dim sum with carts, etc. in Missouri.

I think the other posts have the others well covered...

-Pastry shops - you might want to stop by Veneiro's on 12th in the east village for some canoli, and Little Pie Company's Sour Cream Apple Pie is definitely worth any transit

-Bagel Bakery - I'm actually no longer fond of the H&H factory at 45th, they also price-gouge at $1 a bagel, if a bagelry you want, go to one of the hyphenated places i.e. ess-a-bagel, pick-a-bagel, they're all good

-Cheese shop (fromagerie) - dine at Artistanal, I think they also do classes or something

-Sub sandwiches (is that what they are called in NY?) - For a well-dressed hero, you can do really well with Garden of Eden's sandwiches.. Champignon in Chelsea also has really good ones, as well as Salumeria Belliese for Italian deli -

but I think you want quintessential NY Deli, which is of the Jewish variety and you'll have at Katz's or Carnegie Deli

Unless you have a specific ethnic enclave where you are coming from, i think you will find the ethnic food in NYC much more authentic, specialized and regionalized than anything you'll find in the midwest.

NY is surprisingly poor for Mexican, but you'd do best in Hell's Kitchen (aka Clinton, Midtown West) where you'll find 2 authentic eateries next to eachother, Tehuitzingo and Tulcingo del Valle, as well as newly opened Toloache

Chinese - a visit to Grand Sichuan International @ 25th would be well worth it, as well as dimsum at Golden Unicorn and/or Dim Suma-go-go, the former a Hong Kong-like experience that you should try at least once

NY's Japanese is another level above what you'll find anywhere else in the US, and that includes Boston, LA, SF, and other jp enclaves... If I had 2 weeks, I would visit the following for a good tour through Japanese cuisine, which is much wider than any European cuisine - Yakitori Totto/Torys, Aburiya Kinnosuke, Katsuhama, Ramenya Setagaya, Soba/Udon @ Sobaya, Yakiniku @ Gyu-kaku, Okonomiyaki/Takoyaki @ Otafuku, Okinawan @ Uminoiie/Suibi, Nobu Next Door, Early bird prix fixe dinner @ Chanto, Sushi @ Esashi/Kanoyama (you asked nothing upscale)

-Restaurant of any type that is a very good value for the quality of food. - Yikes, that's a pandora's box. Google "Village Voice Sietsema"

-Butcher where I can find prime dry-aged steaks.- I think Luger's sells it's steaks

boom - http://www.peterluger.com/ourmeats.cfm

-Cheese shop (fromagerie) - dine at Artistanal, I think they also do classes or something

Artisanal also sells its cheeses, so if you don't want to dine there, you can buy cheese from their excellent selection (which is one of the best in terms of proper storage, ageing, etc.) on a retail basis. Also good is Saxelby, which specializes in American cheeses.

You want a REAL NY experience? :wink:

4am Grey's Papaya hot dogs

Talk about value! BEST damn hot dog you will ever eat after a night of partying and dancing.

As for bagels, I have come to the conclusion that there are no more good bagels being made in NYC anymore. I was never a big fan of H&H previously, and recent tastings have only reinforced that impression.

For cheese shops, Ideal and Murray's are the way to go.

For Italian pastries, I'd skip Veniero's and hit Di Robertis, around the corner. For French pastries, which I am genetically predisposed to prefer, head straight to Payard, on the UES.

Right now, to me, Florence Meat Market is the butcher to beat in Manhattan. Great quality meats at competitive prices in a no-frills, saw-dust filled, cat-friendly atmosphere.

Finally, welcome to NYC!

Cheers! :cool:

Unless you have a specific ethnic enclave where you are coming from, i think you will find the ethnic food in NYC much more authentic, specialized and regionalized than anything you'll find in the midwest.

generally true...with the obvious exceptions (Mexican...which you noted)...Indian in Chicago or Vietnamese/Lao or Scandinavian in Minnesota or German in Wisconsin.

but one thing most midwestern cities generally have is an obscure Asian storefront restaurant somewhere that is hyper-authentic and pretty much only caters to customers of the same ethnicity. basically the kind of thing that you'll find in Flushing but not in Manhattan (due to rents).

In lieu of bagles, go for a bialy - at Kossar's Bialy on Grand St. Then, you can walk less than a block to the Pickle Guys on Essex St. for a great, sour pickle. And another couple of blocks to Il Laboratorio del Gelato for (arguably) the city's best gelateria.

Oh. and then you're not far from Katz's Deli, or Russ & Daughter's for (arguably) the city's best appetizing.

For a supreme selection of Italian cheeses, then you're not far from (arguably) the city's best Italian fancy foods at DiPalo's.

Note when I write the city's, I mean the island of Manhanttan.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Value: All three above, Grand Sichuan (St. Marks is my preferred location), Tides, Little Owl, Perry St lunch on weekend, Jean Georges lunch during the week

Is the Jean Georges $28 prix fixe lunch not offered on weekends?

JG is not open for lunch on the weekends.

Completely agree about hitting il lab! Just keep in mind that they have weird/short hours at the store (iirc, they close by 6pm)...and annoyingly enough, the hours aren't posted on their web site. But since you really shouldn't miss the opportunity, give 'em a call! 212 343 9922

For the record, I never said H&H Bagels are the best; just that they're great at 2-3am, hot out of the oven, and eaten curbside. :wink:

Completely agree about hitting il lab!  Just keep in mind that they have weird/short hours at the store (iirc, they close by 6pm)...and annoyingly enough, the hours aren't posted on their web site.  But since you really shouldn't miss the opportunity, give 'em a call!  212 343 9922

For the record, I never said H&H Bagels are the best; just that they're great at 2-3am, hot out of the oven, and eaten curbside.  :wink:

They happen to be down the street from Pacha...

10 years ago that's where you'd go to dump a body - check out "Party Monster"!

you might want to explain what "appetizing" means.  its a term that is apparently exclusive to the New York Jewish community.

From a NY Times Q & A - link here.

Appetizing Indeed

Q. The ''appetizing store,'' selling Nova Scotia salmon, lox, sturgeon, whitefish, sable, bagels, bialys and the like, is a vanishing New York phenomenon. The term does not appear to exist outside New York, although obviously these products do. Where does this term come from?

A. It does seem to have a New York flavor, according to the owner of Russ & Daughters, one of the most famous stores of this kind that survives. This smoked-fish emporium at 179 East Houston Street (between Orchard and Allen Streets) was opened by Joel Russ in 1914 as ''Russ's Cut Rate Appetizers.''

Mark Russ Federman, present owner of the store and son of Joel Russ's daughter Anne, said he recently discussed the question of the name with his mother and one of his aunts. The answer, he said, lies in the Jewish dietary laws, under which meat and dairy products may not be eaten or sold together. Fish and certain dairy products are sold together, like lox and cream cheese.

So two types of food stores sprang up. Stores that sold pickled, cured and smoked meats were known as delicatessens. Another name was needed for stores that sold fish and dairy products. Someone (Russ's daughters do not know who) decided on ''appetizing'' as the alternative.

''I think 'appetizing' is fairly indigenous and fairly local to New York,'' Mr. Federman said. Once, he said, there were 30 appetizing stores on the Lower East Side alone.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Artisanal also sells its cheeses, so if you don't want to dine there, you can buy cheese from their excellent selection (which is one of the best in terms of proper storage, ageing, etc.) on a retail basis. Also good is Saxelby, which specializes in American cheeses.

I would definitely recommend AGAINST dining at Artisanal, which turns out pretty poor fare. Their cheese selection is excellent though, and worth visiting for that reason.

Is the Jean Georges $28 prix fixe lunch not offered on weekends?

It is not offered on weekends.

Completely agree about hitting il lab!  Just keep in mind that they have weird/short hours at the store (iirc, they close by 6pm)...and annoyingly enough, the hours aren't posted on their web site.  But since you really shouldn't miss the opportunity, give 'em a call!  212 343 9922

As I mentioned above, the Whole Foods on Houston has an Il Laboratorio counter that has many more flavors than the store and is open much later. It's a great store that's worth wandering through.

As I mentioned above, the Whole Foods on Houston has an Il Laboratorio counter that has many more flavors than the store and is open much later. It's a great store that's worth wandering through.

This is true, though at the Il Laboratorio store on Orchard St. you're guaranteed to have the freshest, most recently produced batches of gelati and sorbetti.

Why not go to both?!

Tasty Travails - My Blog

[...]NY is surprisingly poor for Mexican, but you'd do best in Hell's Kitchen (aka Clinton, Midtown West) where you'll find 2 authentic eateries next to eachother, Tehuitzingo and Tulcingo del Valle, as well as newly opened Toloache[...]

I haven't checked them out, but I have the feeling that Red Hook and Jackson Heights are better neighborhoods for Mexican food than anyplace in Manhattan. Can someone confirm or deny, and perhaps offer specific suggestions for delicious Mexican food in the Outer Boroughs?

(By the way, the Grand Sichuan branch you mentioned is on the corner of 24th and 9th, not 25th.)

Michael aka "Pan"

Yeah, my bad, the Grand Sichuan is on the corner of 24th on 9th between 24th and 25th

I thought Red Hook was better for central and south american? And yes, Queens would definitely yield great Mexican; Sietsema did a tour down Roosevelt finding the best Taquerias alone -

But, unless they're hardcore foodies, it's hard enough to coerce people who live here to make it out to Jackson Heights let alone P.I.T.A. Red Hook.. so I didn't think that someone here for a week wanted leave the confines of Manhattan...

Edited by raji (log)

Yeah, my bad, the Grand Sichuan is on the corner of 24th on 9th between 24th and 25th

I thought Red Hook was better for central and south american? And yes, Queens would definitely yield great Mexican; Sietsema did a tour down Roosevelt finding the best Taquerias alone -

But, unless they're hardcore foodies, it's hard enough to coerce people who live here to make it out to Jackson Heights let alone P.I.T.A. Red Hook..  so I didn't think that someone here for a week wanted leave the confines of Manhattan...

Did Sietsema write about that? I was on that taco tour (we ate a LOT of tacos). I wouldn't say that the Mexican is GREAT in Queens, but it is completely dependent on frame of reference. The tacos we liked the best were not traditional at all.