• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Le Pencher Cloche

ella

Here's a rapturous post about this little Quebec City restaurant:

While in the city for a holiday weekend, my partner and I escaped the tourist-induced haze of the old town for the St. Roch neighborhood to eat Sunday brunch. I'd read recommendations of this little bistro on Rue St. Joseph-Est, and so we made that our destination. Despite having no reservations, we were greeted warmly by a waiter, who patiently listened to my poor French, and sat us immediately. The menu explicitly lists the farms and local producers of much of the restaurants ingredients, and our meal was delightfully fresh, thoughtfully blending local delicacies with brunch favorites (eggs, waffles, toast).

Our meal began with an amuse bouche (even at brunch!) of a miniature parfait: a layering a rubarb compote, tangy fresh yogurt, strawberry coulis and a little sprinkling of crunchy granola.

Then my partner had a local incarnation of eggs benedict: sun-dried tomato toast, sauteed spinach, smoked local whiting, poached eggs and a hollandaise sauce, made fresh for each order.

I choose the other special of the day: a frittata of lardons, broccoli, and comte cheese, which was a lovely blend of moist, salty and creamy. Herb-dusted roasted potatoes accompanied both dishes... I also had a lightly-toasted baguette, served with fresh butter and homemade apricot jam.

A lovely brunch... The highlight of my weekend in Quebec City.

It is indeed a wonderful little bistro, and dinner there was the highlight of my visit a few months back as well. The correct name is Cafe du Clocher Penche, for those who wish to look it up (finding a restaurant name in a Quebec phone book is a confusing enough task as it is...)