• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sicoly Fruit Purees

sugarlove

I've used a few over time, usually when a vendor doesn't tell us they've switched brands before filling our order.

They're ok. If I remember correctly, the prices are about the same as Boiron and therefore lower than Cap'Fruit and Ravifruit. There wasn't any problem with the flavor being noticeably different, but the colors certainly were. Their apricot puree, for example, was dark, more like a brownish-rusty hue than Boiron's, which is far brighter, almost carrot-colored. But this happens between each brand - the same mousse made with Cap'Fruit's raspberry is a deep, luscious red where with Boiron's raspberry it's a solid pink.

If you are producing one-off items it isn't a problem, but if you need rows of pastries in a display case that all look identical, it could be a concern. Or if the vividness of a mousse or gelee's color being a part of the design of an entremet. Sticking with a brand may make sense.

The packaging is a small pail, which I find much less convenient in the tight confines of a freezer than the long boxes of Boiron. And our Sicoly pails weren't completely filled by the kilo of puree, maybe 20 percent unused, so there is more wasted space than Boiron's box.

For the same price, I'd choose Boiron but each brand has flavors the other doesn't so you may want to try Sicoly and draw your own conclusions.

Brian Ibbotson

Pastry Sous for Production and Menu Research & Development

Sous Chef for Food Safety and Quality Assurance

I've used a few over time, usually when a vendor doesn't tell us they've switched brands before filling our order.

They're ok. If I remember correctly, the prices are about the same as Boiron and therefore lower than Cap'Fruit and Ravifruit. There wasn't any problem with the flavor being noticeably different, but the colors certainly were. Their apricot puree, for example, was dark, more like a brownish-rusty hue than Boiron's, which is far brighter, almost carrot-colored. But this happens between each brand - the same mousse made with Cap'Fruit's raspberry is a deep, luscious red where with Boiron's raspberry it's a solid pink.

If you are producing one-off items it isn't a problem, but if you need rows of pastries in a display case that all look identical, it could be a concern. Or if the vividness of a mousse or gelee's color being a part of the design of an entremet. Sticking with a brand may make sense.

The packaging is a small pail, which I find much less convenient in the tight confines of a freezer than the long boxes of Boiron. And our Sicoly pails weren't completely filled by the kilo of puree, maybe 20 percent unused, so there is more wasted space than Boiron's box.

For the same price, I'd choose Boiron but each brand has flavors the other doesn't so you may want to try Sicoly and draw your own conclusions.

Wow, thank for the comparison. I've never used any of these before so I was going to purchase from L'Epicerie since I can purchase in smaller sizes but they are no longer carrying Boiron purees after they sell the rest of their stock. The guy I spoke with state the Sicoly purees has more fruit content than Boiron which has more sugar. How does the Cap Fruit compare to the Boiron other than being more expensive. Do you know any online places I can order smaller sizes before getting into the large size. I can purchase the larger sizes of Boiron and Cap Fruit from European Imports but for testing purposes I rather not get the large sizes yet due to wastage.