• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Boca Java: the Dell Computers of coffee?

MarketStEl

I recently took the bait in an online ad and "took the Boca Java challenge."

I was actually quite pleased with the result.

Boca Java is an online coffee roaster whose chief distinction is that it sells coffee the way Dell sells computers: They don't roast the beans until you place your order. The beans come in half-pound bags (not vacuum-packed) with the roasting date on a sticker on the back.

I can honestly say that their beans definitely passed the smell test: I haven't been hit with a more powerful aroma ever. And the quality of the coffee they made was also first-rate.

Like Gevalia, they operate on a subscription basis: once you place your initial order, the company will schedule deliveries to your door at regular intervals; you can go to their Web site ahead of the ship date to change the varieties you get and when you get them. (I just hope they don't make it difficult to cancel your subscription, though I don't see myself doing that soon.)

I note that they got a nice plug from "Supermarket Guru" Phil Lampert on Today.

Any of you tried their coffee yet? Your impressions, please?

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

I love the idea. When I used to order coffee online, Peet's seemed to have the freshest.

Nothing compares to home roasting though. Come to the dark side... :smile:

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson