• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mexican on north 5th Street

effrontery

Thanks, I do love it there. For some reason, I seem to remember the restaurants he wrote about being a bit further up on 5th, but don't quote me on that!

There's a restaurant called Las Cazuelas on Girards at 5th. It's a BYO and is pretty good. We've had some great dinners and brunches there.

Eileen

Yes, it called Taco Rienda (I think).

It's the same family as Las Cazuelas, the gorgeous white haired, always smiling- father of the family runs this place. He's been in the neighborhood forever, well known in the community.

The restaurant is two blocks north of Girard on 5th.

They share food/supplies, back and forth between the two places, but they're really pretty different.

I prefer TR. It's not quite as upscale as LC.

Very good, and inexpensive. BYOB, but they don't have a lot of real wine glasses or anything...

Philly Francophiles

Tierra Colombiana is on North 5th off of Roosevelt Blvd. My favorite place for Cuban eats. The black beans, Cuban sandwiches, picadillo and other platters are a bargain and more food than anyone could possibly eat in one sitting. I always go there for my Cubano fix.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Quick note: none of the places on N 5th are Mexican. Generally speaking, Mexicans stay south of, oh let's say Girard, the exception being Taco Riendo @ 4th and Thompson.

N 5th is Puerto Ricans, and I guess Cubans and Colombians.

It's not a good idea to mix up Puerto Ricans and Mexicans, at least not to the Puerto Ricans' faces.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Quick note:  none of the places on N 5th are Mexican.  Generally speaking, Mexicans stay south of, oh let's say Girard, the exception being Taco Riendo @ 4th and Thompson.

N 5th is Puerto Ricans, and I guess Cubans and Colombians.

It's not a good idea to mix up Puerto Ricans and Mexicans, at least not to the Puerto Ricans' faces.

¿ Me lo dices, o me lo cuentas ?

Translation: You tellin' me?

Actually, the last I remember, there is a little bit of tacquería infiltration in North Philly, along Allegheny Avenue, east of 5th.