• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

MPW Bound for Dublin?

There's a report in today's Irish Times that Marco Pierre White has reached an agreement with developer Harry Crosbie to open a 300 seater Brasserie beside the new Point Theatre. Apparently, we can shortly expect a billboard with a pic of MPW and a tagline of "Ireland I will feed you".

Does anyone know any more about this?

Just re-read it. The line in full is apparently:

"Ireland, I will feed you", says the smouldering kitchen god.

Bizarre is indeed the word.

The article simply says "White has been in talks with Crosbie about opening a restaurant in Dublin and the two men reached an agreement in London last week." The rest of it is given over to Ramsay's opening, and the rivalry between the chefs.

There's a tentative link between Crosbie's friendship with Bono, the Clarence Hotel itself and MPW coming to Dublin. But my lips are sealed.

:unsure:

Tease!!

That's quite the first post to eGullet there, Daspin. You're most welcome!

There would want to be more than just a tentative link between Bono, Mr Crosbie and MPW to make this something worth getting exciting about. Drop the debt was truly worthy, getting MPW to cut the ribbon isn't.

Anybody see Doorley's review of the Capella's restaurant in Castlemartyr. Lots of things went wrong but he sums the experience by saying he will have no problems making it his local, as it is close to his home. Shocking.

I can't find the review online to add the link and it was thrown out in the bin, how many times?????, so quoting is out of the question. Doorley along with his other Spar and Centra buddy ,Ballymaloe, are creaming it from endorsements. Is there a critic worth reading in Ireland. Trevor White's review of Kevin Throrton at his Portobello restaurant for Food and Wine was the last great restaurant review I can remember in this country, but would like to be proved wrong. Indeed that very meal may be the high point for the Irish culinary scene in the twentieth century. A great meal and excellent review. If the Dubliner never existed would White have returned to reviewing restaurants after his bit out foreign? Would White have pushed the culinary scene beyond it's current quagmire? Is the Dubliner magazine to blame for the excitement created by tenatative links between bono, crosbie and MPW?

Interesting views Augustine, there aren't many who'd agree with you about Trevor White.

In general, those who review restaurants tend to divide opinion and whilst I do not always agree with his views, I believe Tom Doorley is best critic we have at the moment.

Not sure what all this has to do with MPW's mug being plastered on a billboard at The Point but hey ho!

Apparently, we can shortly expect a billboard with a pic of MPW and a tagline of "Ireland I will feed you".

A bizarre tagline... does the article say anything about it?

An excellent tagline, very witty :biggrin::biggrin:

I also hear that Barry McGuigan will be working in the 'spud' section :biggrin:

Since MPW's involvement with his other restaurant interests seems pretty tenuous, it will be interesting indeed to see what he means about feeding the poor starving Irish. Apart from the fact that absentee anything in Ireland - celeb chefs this century - is one of the less popular formulas.

Since MPW's involvement with his other restaurant interests seems pretty tenuous,

masterful understatement.

I'm surprised they haven't used a quote from Nobbo's best mate and, arguably, greatest living Irishman

"Give us yer fokkin money"

on the poster. Would sum up the great chef's philosophy rather well.

Since MPW's involvement with his other restaurant interests seems pretty tenuous,

masterful understatement.

I'm surprised they haven't used a quote from Nobbo's best mate and, arguably, greatest living Irishman

"Give us yer fokkin money"

on the poster. Would sum up the great chef's philosophy rather well.

Yes, while he's at it, he might as well feed the world as well as Ireland

"Let them eat pommes puree"