• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pomegranates, the easy Nigella way

Chufi

I´ve seen some discussions recently on how to get the seeds from a pomegranate, all intructions seem needlessly complicated to me. I thought about this yesterday as I was making my salad with feta and pomegranate seeds. I saw Nigella Lawson use this method on one of her shows a couple of years ago, it´s easy and fast!

gallery_21505_2929_34347.jpg

Slice your pomegranate in half

Hold the half cut side down over a large bowl

Use the side of a wooden spoon and tap hard on the outside of the pomegranate. The first few taps nothing happens but then the seeds get dislodged and voila, a bowl full of seeds and an empty shell!

gallery_21505_2929_74024.jpg

Edited by Chufi (log)

Seriously! I've got to try this so I can relieve my red-stained fingers from the duty of breaking up the various pods.

...wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --Alexander Pope

I happen to have 3 or 4 pomegranates presently waiting to be seeded. I'll be able to do a side-by-side comparison with Nigella's method, which I'd never seen before, and my favorite method to date. Thanks, Chufi!

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I was recently told this secret method by a coworker who is from India and says that is how it is done over there, and that you can get fresh pomegranate juice made on the spot. Man- that sounds good. I gotta get a juicer.

I wonder if it'll taste as good if you don't have to work too hard for it... :wink:

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

Wow. I've had 4 pomegranates tucked away for experimentation, and I just did a side-by-side comparison of methods.

I did 2 using my previous favorite method, noted above. I did 2 using the Nigella easy way. Nigella's method wins, hands-down: it's easier, quicker, less messy AND has less pulp and skin to separate from the seeds afterward.

I did find that I needed to evert the pomegranate halves to get the last few delicious seeds out. (Perhaps that means I didn't whack hard enough or long enough or with a heavy enough implement, but since I'd forgotten that I was supposed to use a heavy wooden spoon and was whacking with the flat of my Santuko blade instead, my lack of verve might be forgiven.) However, I also found that it was pretty easy. By the time most of the seeds were out of the pomegranate half I was working over, the pulp was soft enough to turn inside out without tearing anything.

Thank you for that note, Chufi!

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Just tried your method. IT WORKS.

Thanks,

Jmahl

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

Another cool trick. If you want to juice a pomegranate, just slice it in half, grab a lemon juicing tool, and juice the pomegranate the same you would a lemon. Strain the juice (a few little bits might get in there), and voilà!

My coworker has a couple of prolific pomegranate trees and she always brings me several grocery bags of them at a time becaue I once mentioned I like them.

With that many pomegranates, have you tried making a pomegranate reduction/syrup? There are a lot of uses for that, too.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

My coworker has a couple of prolific pomegranate trees and she always brings me several grocery bags of them at a time becaue I once mentioned I like them.

With that many pomegranates, have you tried making a pomegranate reduction/syrup? There are a lot of uses for that, too.

Yes I have!

Question: do the seeds freeze well? I meant to try it last year and didn't gt around to it.

Edited by KristiB50 (log)

• 1 year later...