• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Korea - Land of the Morning Calm

That's it, folks.

Outside of idle banter and more bad puns ("if they're good enough for Shakespeare and Aristophanes, they're good enough for me") I'll wrap this trip up.

I'd really like to thank Doddie and Billy for all the help, and for those quinces!

I'd also like to say, if there's a real hero in this story, it's my nephew Jason. Anyone who'll put their whole life on hold for 3 weeks to deal with a pack of moochers like us has definitely gone above and beyond.

gallery_22892_5262_32940.jpg

Cheers,

Peter

a gastronomic tour de force Peter, just want to thank you for your tireless, intelligent and humourous foodie documenting, Yoonhi and Serena for their tolerance in allowing us to butt into your holiday and your personal space and Jason for his superb tour-guiding,...how generous you all are.... mate, I would have been on my knees begging for mercy a third of the way thru... :smile::smile:

edited to add: what a great face Jason has... if he's not spoken for I have a reasonably presentable young daughter...

Edited by insomniac (log)

And I pretty much relived the four years I spent in Korea!

Next time you're there, try the "rainbow soju" and get Jason to take you to the 50-year old makkeolli hut in the back of Jongno.

If you want to try some of these dishes at home, check out The Korean Home Cooking thread.

• 2 weeks later...
what a great face Jason has... if he's not spoken for I have a reasonably presentable young daughter...

sorry, I called it in like the 3rd or 4th post :biggrin:

peter are you sure it's yogiyo imo or rather yogiyo unnee or yogiyo agashi? I always thought imo was aunt and rather un nee was sister (possibly older sister)

and I think the tea that you are referring to next to the boricha is oksusu cha aka roasted corn tea. Tastes pretty identical to boricha if you ask me

great job on the thread btw

so where are you taking us next?

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

Sheena - you are right about the ONI, IMO and YOGIYO.

YOGIYO - over here

IMO - auntie

ONI - sister

I'd like to add: Agassi (pronounced A-gah-si) for calling the unmarried women.

Peter - you are most welcome. :biggrin: Billy keeps asking when is Serena coming back. He wants to hear more shark tales from her. LOL

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Thanks, Sheena and Doddie!

I was surprised about the imo "auntie" thing, too. When I'd been in Korea before it was always "agasi" or "ajima", we'd never used imo.

I thought maybe it was a "returned Korean expat" thing, but I heard it a lot in the restaurants.

Doddie, what's your take?

And I'd thought maybe it was corn tea, but Yoonhi's brewed some up, and it's a different flavour (not as good as boricha which I still say is one of the best things after beer for a hot day).

Next? You'll have to wait and see. (and I'll have to figure out how to get more space for pictures)

Cheers,

Peter

my mother recently gave me some tea that looks very similar to boricha only harder, if that makes sense. Apparently it's good for your eyes and when you simmer it the liquid turns orangish red. Is that what you have? If so, I have no idea what it is ):

never heard the yogiyo imo thing.....sounds very very strange to me. I only call older women who are close to me or my aunts, imo...not someone I don't know.

Oh well you know better than me, cause you were in Korea recently and not me ):

Peter, Sheena - I have been hearing a lot of the "Imo" and "Oni"-calling here in Korea. Not only in the restaurants but also in workplaces and business like supermarkets, hotels, etc. Adjima-calling is reserved usually for pushy, big(as in not thin), older women with their short curly hairdo. LOL :biggrin: I hardly hear "agassi" anymore for unmarried women but I do hear a lot of "adjazi" for calling men. :)

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Adjima-calling is reserved usually for pushy, big(as in not thin), older women with their short curly hairdo. LOL :biggrin:

Don't forget the brightly coloured stretch pants! :biggrin: Permed hair and elastic waists are the trademarks!

(uh oh, I think something's about to be thrown at me)

Noted: edited for an apostrophe. (with apologies to the late Frank Zappa)

Edited by Peter Green (log)

nope not omija cha. It's shaped like a teeny tiny almond and is really hard....I can't even "crack" it open. I guess I'll ask my mom what it is....but I love drinking the tea with sugar, cause I can't drink it straight. It makes a nice cold refreshing drink in the summer time. Now this is going to drive me nuts

eta: Picture of seeds

found out the tea I drink is called gyeolmeongja cha

Edited by SheenaGreena (log)

gallery_22892_5262_81266.jpg

Here's the promised shot. The stuff in the lower left is the mystery tea, and I've put some boricha (barley tea) on the plate above to contrast it.

This stuff gives an extremely dark tea, much darker than that golden brown you get from bori and ochuzu. Yoonhi's not particularly fond of this flavour.

The seeds look like a cross between bird seed and really, really tiny rabbit droppings.

Sheena, what's your mom think?

gallery_22892_5262_81266.jpg

Here's the promised shot.  The stuff in the lower left is the mystery tea, and I've put some boricha (barley tea) on the plate above to contrast it.

This stuff gives an extremely dark tea, much darker than that golden brown you get from bori and ochuzu.  Yoonhi's not particularly fond of this flavour.

The seeds look like a cross between bird seed and really, really tiny rabbit droppings.

Sheena, what's your mom think?

Oh well that definitely isn't Omija, and I have no idea what type of grain...I hope Sheena's Mom can help because I am too far away to ask my mom and it would be hard to get her to look at the computer. :rolleyes:

What does it taste like Peter?

that's the tea I have. It's gyeolmeongja cha. It doesn't taste that good, unless you add sugar to it. I like to drink it cold....actually I think I'll make some now. It's the seeds of some plant. I have never seen or heard of it before until my mom gave me some and it took forever for me to figure out what it was. Apparently it's good for your eyesight.

I still need contacts and glasses ):

Edited by SheenaGreena (log)