• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Buffalo Wings

Stone

I hate margarine. A lot. But Buffalo wings don't taste right without it. Just butter won't do. I wish it would, but it won't. Here's what you do.

Melt margarine with a little butter. Add Frank's hot sauce to taste. Deepfry wings to very crisp. Toss wings with sauce. Pop into 500 degree oven for a minute or two to infuse wings and sauce. Eat. Try not to make animalistic noises. Fail.

That's it. No spices. No nothing. Anything else and you'll have tasty wings, but not Buffalo wings. Don't forget the blue cheese. Ranch dressing is an abomination, a CMD (condiment of mass destruction).

In Julia Child's Kitchen, she suggests (in many recipes), deep frying in an electric skillet.  I got one at the Salvation Army for about $2.00 and it works great.  Not as deep as a deep fat fryer, but it doesn't take up  a ton of space.  You could probably use a stock pot (or whatever), but I do think that having an idea of how hot the oil is and how much it cools down when one adds the "fryee" is important?

I don't have much to add -- my basic is stick of butter, a bottle of Louisiana brand hot sauce, a little habanero sauce just to make it hot enough for my husband -- but I'll definitely second that vote for the electric skillet. I just bought one at a yard sale. I'm a cast-iron skillet die-hard, but the electric turned out a great batch of fried chicken. Being able to set it to a certain temperature is definitely a help.

Kathleen Purvis, food editor, The Charlotte (NC) Observer

I'm a great fan of Frank's as well. Right now I'm trying desparately to finish a bottle of Topatio. :sad: I'm so happy Costco sells nice big bottles of Frank's! :smile:

In case there's anyone new coming to this thread (and frying), I just have to reiterate that when frying, do NOT fill the pot or pan any more than half way up. Plenty of oil is good, but the oil expands when heated, and rises when you drop stuff in, and then bubbles. So don't burn down the house!

Elyse-police is done. For now. :biggrin:

I stopped by a place tonight to check out some brisket prices. (Yes, I think I need therapy.) Picked up some frozen chicken wings while I was there.

Defrosted them in the wave (Sharp Halfpint did a great job of defrosting without cooking at all). Deep fried in left-over peanut oil until crispy. It takes a while. Don't rush it.

I mixed some Franks hot sauce (about a cup and half) with a half stick of butter. Too much butter -- maybe margerine would have been better. About a T of hot cayenne and a good amount of black pepper.

Damn good.

The sauce wasn't very hot though. Gotta use less butter next time. Maybe more cayenne. Need to find a way to get rid of the glowing red color -- the best buffalo wing sauce I've had is browner. Maybe a little roux? Probably not.

I'm a great fan of Frank's as well.  Right now I'm trying desparately to finish a bottle of Topatio. :sad:  I'm so happy Costco sells nice big bottles of Frank's! :smile: ...

Blasphemer!! :angry::wink:

Tapatío is a favorite of mine for eggs and such, but you're right... it's not a substitute for Frank's. There is no vinegar at all in Tapatío, which pretty much puts it in a different category than sauces like Frank's Red Hot, Louisana's Finest, etc... the standards for buffalo wing sauce. I suppose one COULD use it for buffalo wing sauce if enough vinegar was added to the mix, but the flavor profile of Tapatío would make those wings anything but authentic.

Need to find a way to get rid of the glowing red color

WHY? :sad:

Well, color and flavor may necessarily go hand in hand, but the best wing-sauces I've had had a deeper color. The worst are simply Louisiana hot sauce (or similar) ladled over the wings.

Well, color and flavor may necessarily go hand in hand, but the best wing-sauces I've had had a deeper color.  The worst are simply Louisiana hot sauce (or similar) ladled over the wings.

dude, you may want to work on the flavor and let the tourists worry about the color. :shock:

I did this again last weekend. Used an 8qt stock pot instead of the wok. I figured that I'd have better temperature stability. The first batch, I got the temp up to 300 and put in the wings. Quick drop to 250, and stabilized there. Not good. I put the lid on the pot (although I think I read you're not supposed to do that when deep frying), and got the temp up to the 350-380 range. That's a good sizzle. The next batch I started at 380. There was a much smaller drop, and a much faster recovery.

I'm still not a fan of Franks hot sauce.

• 3 years later...
I hate margarine.  A lot.  But Buffalo wings don't taste right without it.  Just butter won't do.  I wish it would, but it won't.  Here's what you do.

Melt margarine with a little butter.  Add Frank's hot sauce to taste.  Deepfry wings to very crisp.  Toss wings with sauce. Pop into 500 degree oven for a minute or two to infuse wings and sauce.  Eat.  Try not to make animalistic noises.  Fail. 

That's it.  No spices.  No nothing.  Anything else and you'll have tasty wings, but not Buffalo wings.  Don't forget the blue cheese.  Ranch dressing is an abomination, a CMD (condiment of mass destruction).

I have been asked to make Buffalo wings, the problem is they need to be really simple. I like this recipe above because it doesn't have spices added. Things like various pepper powders and powdered garlic and onion are very hard to find in Japan and my students balk at having to buy a bunch of ingredients they don't know what to do with.

So I need some answers. :biggrin:

Butter or margarine? mixture?

What kind of hot sauce? most recipes say Frank's or a Louisiana hot sauce, I am not familiar with anything except Tabasco. :hmmm: What is the difference? In Japan tabasco is widely available though I have seen a Crystal brand at the 100 yen ($1) shops.

Do you mix the butter and hot sauce togther? One recipe I read has you dip them in the butter first and then the hot sauce..

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I never use margarine, but given the price of butter in Japan, I'd say go for the margarine.

What kind of hot sauce? most recipes say Frank's or a Louisiana hot sauce, I am not familiar with anything except Tabasco. :hmmm:  What is the difference? In Japan tabasco is widely available though I have seen a Crystal brand at the 100 yen ($1) shops.

I think Tabasco would be too vinegary. I can't remember what Frank's tastes like, though, so I could be wrong.

Do you mix the butter and hot sauce togther? One recipe I read has you dip them in the butter first and then the hot sauce..

I used to mix. I haven't made them in years, though, so I could be remembering incorrectly.

I used to bake my wings, too, instead of frying them.

"What kind of hot sauce? most recipes say Frank's or a Louisiana hot sauce, I am not familiar with anything except Tabasco. What is the difference? In Japan tabasco is widely available though I have seen a Crystal brand at the 100 yen ($1) shops."

Crystal Sauce is great for wings--I prefer it to Franks--and it's hard to find here in the US lately--I guess because it's all being sent to Japan!!!

I hate margarine.  A lot.  But Buffalo wings don't taste right without it.  Just butter won't do.  I wish it would, but it won't.  Here's what you do.

Melt margarine with a little butter.  Add Frank's hot sauce to taste.  Deepfry wings to very crisp.  Toss wings with sauce. Pop into 500 degree oven for a minute or two to infuse wings and sauce.  Eat.  Try not to make animalistic noises.  Fail. 

That's it.  No spices.  No nothing.  Anything else and you'll have tasty wings, but not Buffalo wings.  Don't forget the blue cheese.  Ranch dressing is an abomination, a Here's a recipe.CMD (condiment of mass destruction).

I have been asked to make Buffalo wings, the problem is they need to be really simple. I like this recipe above because it doesn't have spices added. Things like various pepper powders and powdered garlic and onion are very hard to find in Japan and my students balk at having to buy a bunch of ingredients they don't know what to do with.

So I need some answers. :biggrin:

What kind of hot sauce? most recipes say Frank's or a Louisiana hot sauce, I am not familiar with anything except Tabasco. :hmmm: What is the difference? In Japan tabasco is widely available though I have seen a Crystal brand at the 100 yen ($1) shops.

You're fortunate in that your instincts are leading you towards a great batch of wings. Truly excellent Buffalo wings (and I binged on them this weekend) don't involve spices and powedered garlic -- just margarine and Franks, melted together. Do not use butter!

Franks, btw, is less hot but more tangy hot sauce than Tbasco. I think Crystal would be a reasonable substitute.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

I got my recipe from America' Test Kitchen.

Sauce is Franks Lousiana Hot Sauce with some butter, a bit of cider vinegar, and some Tobasco.

The wings are lightly dredged in corn starch that's been seasoned with salt, black pepper, and cayanne pepper.

Fry in peanut oil. I use a big 7 quart LeCrueset. I let them drain on a rack over a sheet pan, then toss them with the sauce in a stainless steel bowl. You can hold cooked, unsauced wings in an oven if you are cranking them out faster than people are eating them.

Everyone raves about my wings. Are they "complex"? No. But I think they are good examples of what people expect wings to taste like.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

• 3 months later...
Crystal Sauce is great for wings--I prefer it to Franks--and it's hard to find here in the US lately--I guess because it's all being sent to Japan!!!

Crystal hot sauce is made by Baumer Foods in New Orleans, which flooded during the storm. Not sure if they've built a new plant yet, but they since outsourced all of the bottling operations so they could get their product back on the shelves. When I moved here to Tampa after the storm, I only had one big bottle left and couldn't get it for months. Now I always keep an extra bottle, just in case....

-Kevin

p.s. I also like Crystal in my wing sauce.

• 2 years later...

Normally, I am very traditional when it comes to Buffalo Wings. I have to have the traditional style sauce described here by many people (including me). Frank's, butter, etc. etc. But what I want to do now is riff slightly on that. No, I don't want honey mustard or garlic or terryaki or anything like that. I want to stick to chile (pepper) based sauce. I want to make a chipotle based sauce.

If I have a can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, what do I need to do to transform this into a sauce for wings?

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"