• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tepee

Siu Yook (Roast Pork Belly)

That pork belly looks wonderful! What does puncturing the skin do? Does it help dry out the skin in the oven?

Once the roasting is done, is there any hint of vodka flavor?

That pork belly looks wonderful!  What does puncturing the skin do?  Does it help dry out the skin in the oven?

Once the roasting is done, is there any hint of vodka flavor?

To get good crackling it seems that you need to get as much moisture out of the rind as possible and you need to degrade the tough surface layer of the rind.

I think this is also what the hot water and vodka is doing.

I guess puncturing or scoring degrades the outer layer of tough rind and allows more moisture to escape out of the rind due to an increased surface area. The increased surface area probably allows for the salt to draw out more moisture too.

Also the crackling starts to form at the score and puncture points first probably due to the hot oil escaping from those points first.

there no hint of vodka at all as it will have evaporated off during the overnight drying and the cooking.

Although if you used whiskey or some stronger flavoured alcohol you might get some flavour left on the rind.

Edited by origamicrane (log)

"so tell me how do you bone a chicken?"

"tastes so good makes you want to slap your mamma!!"

hey everyone

I have a 25x25cm 5cm thick skin-on "back rib", which I'm planning to crack.

The "standard" method is:

1) Torch, scrap, hot water, poke/score skin. Salt/Baking soda, let dry

2) Roast at high heat.

I'm thinking of breaking down the collagen between the bone and meat before crackling the skin:

1) Torch, scrap, hot water, poke/score skin. Salt/Baking soda, let dry (same)

2) Low temp (65C) oven uncovered for 6-8hours (abitary time)

3) 2) Roast at high heat. (same)

Good idea?

Thanks!

~ Sher * =]

. . . . .I HEART FOOD. . . . .

Sleep 'til you're hungry, eat 'til you're sleepy. - Anon

Any success with your experiment Sher.eats? Just thinking about cooking for 6-8 hours, wouldn't that make the skin very difficult if not impossible to crisp up. If it's enough time to break down the collagen between meat and bone then surely it will break down the collagen in the skin too. I'm only guessing that it'll be detrimental to getting crispy skin though i can't be sure. Any luck?

Any success with your experiment Sher.eats?  Just thinking about cooking for 6-8 hours, wouldn't that make the skin very difficult if not impossible to crisp up.  If it's enough time to break down the collagen between meat and bone then surely it will break down the collagen in the skin too.  I'm only guessing that it'll be detrimental to getting crispy skin though i can't be sure.  Any luck?

hey Prawncrackers!

yeah that's what i thought, the slow cooking will break down the skin collagen too so there won't be any build up of pressure during the roasting = no crackling....

the meat didn't "shrink down" the bone during the 30min of roasting, but was still tender enough anyway...

thanks!!

~ Sher * =]

. . . . .I HEART FOOD. . . . .

Sleep 'til you're hungry, eat 'til you're sleepy. - Anon

has anyone tried boiling it, then deep frying it? i know the rule of thumb is to dry the skin but the if the skin is really wet, i'd think that the moisture would turn to steam, making the skin bubble during the frying. the crispness probably wouldn't last as long and the texture wouldn't quite be the same but it sounds like it'd still give good results.

edit: i'll try it and post the results

bork bork bork

has anyone tried boiling it, then deep frying it? i know the rule of thumb is to dry the skin but the if the skin is really wet, i'd think that the moisture would turn to steam, making the skin bubble during the frying. the crispness probably wouldn't last as long and the texture wouldn't quite be the same but it sounds like it'd still give good results.

edit: i'll try it and post the results

what you described are pork scratchings. Piece of pork rind boiled and deep fried to crispy.

Scratching are nice give it a try you should like what you get

but it is quite a different product to the chinese roast pork you would get find in a chinatown.

Sounds like the preparation for "kau yook".

Best Wishes,

Chee Fai.

Sounds like the preparation for "kau yook".

I was wondering about that too. We are on the topic of "roast pork". Boiling it wouldn't quite make "roast" pork.

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

Ooooh.....that duck!!!! :wub: Recently, I had roast quail with skin just like that. Yum! Off to look for De Duck Thread....Any CNY meals??

But before that, here's the siu yook I made on Saturday. Boiling water, score, wipe dry, rub salt and a bit of 5-spice powder, vodka, vodka, 24 hours in fridge, put under broiler. Thumbs up!

gallery_12248_5284_37095.jpg

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

This is a great thread, what beautiful food. Getting notification of this post reminded me that I hadn't shared my first pork belly cooking experience, which was successful. Thanks to this topic and to mixducky's recipe on RecipeGullet...

gallery_13038_5967_81033.jpg

It was braised. I used Ellen's recipe as a guide. Now that I know how yummy it is, next time I'm going to try roasting and strive for the crispy, crusty version, and hope it's as successful as this method was. I was out of star anise, so that wasn't used, and I used palm sugar instead of Chinese yellow rock candy for the sweetener. I threw some garlic into the making of the sauce, and used just one soy sauce (Thai) instead of dark and light. The pork belly was between one and two pounds, so I halved the recipe. I think that's it for my modifications. What deliciousness! One of the best things I've ever eaten. Thank you, Ellen.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Ooooh.....that duck!!!!  :wub:  Recently, I had roast quail with skin just like that. Yum! Off to look for De Duck Thread....Any CNY meals??

Gong Hey Fat Choy, TP! Welcome back! Miss us? :biggrin: The roast pork looks great!

regarding the Roast Pork Belly...I bought some yesterday at a local store and they provided a dipping sauce which my wife really likes. it is a bit sweet and may contain soy sauce. does anyone have any idea what this sauce might be and what the ingredients are?

The link "Cooking - Food - Recipes - Cookbook Collections" on my site contains my 1000+ cookbook collections, recipes, and other food information: http://dmreed.com

regarding the Roast Pork Belly...I bought some yesterday at a local store and they provided a dipping sauce which my wife really likes. it is a bit sweet and may contain soy sauce. does anyone have any idea what this sauce might be and what the ingredients are?

Hoisin sauce mixed with some sesame oil.

Hoisin sauce mixed with some sesame oil.

definitely nice to see you back at egullet!

I will try that mixture.

The link "Cooking - Food - Recipes - Cookbook Collections" on my site contains my 1000+ cookbook collections, recipes, and other food information: http://dmreed.com

or could be yellow bean sauce cooked with a load of sugar

thenks, more likely soy with hoisin or some other sauce...it is very liquid just like soy sauce

thenks, more likely soy with hoisin or some other sauce...it is very liquid just like soy sauce

arrr...

That could be soya sauce, water, sugar, sesame oil and probably some msg in there. They use that on the duck rice.

Or it could simply be sweet soy sauce? :unsure:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

sounds close but there was no glossiness of oil

arrr...

That could be soya sauce, water, sugar, sesame oil and probably some msg in there. They use that on the duck rice.

Edited by dmreed (log)

Second time of trying to get crackling and second fail! I cut 2 large onions, but them cut side down in a roasting tin. They acted as a trivet for the pork...

Scored the pork, rubbed salt into it and cooked at 150c for 3 hours, then turned up to 200c for 20 minutes before putting it under a grill for 5 minutes

Scraped off the top surface to what I hoped would reveal lovely crackling.

Nope - it's just soft and tastes slightly acrid. I can only presume the skin wasn't dry enough to begine with. Ugh, another wasted 4 hours!

Have you tried brushing the scored skin with alcohol? Vodka seemed to work well if I remember previous posts correctly.

Best Wishes,

Chee Fai.

Hi saladfingers

could you give more detail on how you are preparing the pork?

If you can please post some photos of what you are doing and we can try to figure out how to get better results.

please have a read of my recipe in recipe gullet

http://recipes.egullet.org/recipes/r2100.html

Are you not getting any crackling forming at all?

Who's recipe are you following? as the 150C at 3 hours sounds like a european recipe for roast pork rather then chinese version.

Wwhen you lay the pork belly on top of your onions make sure that there pork is lying curved over the onions like a hump and that there is no dip in the middle of the belly where the fat can pool as this will prevent the crackling from forming.

Also once the pork belly is in the oven do not open the oven door until you need to grill the skin.

• Similar Content

• By liuzhou
      Wowotou buns ( 窝窝头 wō wō tóu), also known more simply as wō tóu are originally from northern China. The name means "nest" and they come in many forms. These are the ones I use. As you can see, they are usually stuffed with whatever the cook decides. These are stuffed with spicy pork and pickled greens, but I've also served them with a seafood stuffing.

This is the recipe I usually use.

窝窝头

350 grams all-purpose/plain flour
      150 grams black soya bean flour
      3 grams instant yeast
      260 grams  milk

Mix the flours well, dissolve the yeast in the milk and stir into the flour until a dough forms. Knead the dough until smooth. Cover with plastic
      wrap and leave in a warm place until double in size.

Sprinkle flour on the chopping board, knead the dough, adding more flour if too wet. until all air is expelled and the dough has a smooth surface.

Form the dough into six even-sized balls and rub between the palms until smooth and round. Flatten slightly, then use your thumb to press the dough into a nest shape.

Steam covered for 30-35 minutes.

Note: The flours used vary a lot. Corn or sorghum flours are very popular, but I don't like corn and sorghum isn't the easiest to find here in southern China. Use what you like, but the overall quantity for this recipe should be 500 grams. It has been suggested that pure corn flour is too sticky, so probably best to mix it with regular wheat flour.

They freeze well.

Recipe adapted from 念念不忘的面食  by 刘哲菲 (Unforgettable Wheat Foods by Liu Zhefei). This isn't a direct translation, but retelling of the gist. Any errors are mine. Not Ms. Liu's.
    • By liuzhou
      This arose from this topic, where initially @Anna N asked about tea not being served at the celebratory meal I attended. I answered that it is uncommon for tea to be served with meals (with one major exception). I was then asked for further elucidation by @Smithy. I did start replying on the topic but the answer got longer than I anticipated and was getting away from the originally intended topic about one specific meal. So here were are..

I'd say there are four components to tea drinking in China.

a) When you arrive at a restaurant, you are often given a pot of tea which people will sip while contemplating the menu and waiting for other  guests to arrive. Dining out is very much a group activity, in the main. When everyone is there and the food dishes start to arrive the tea is nearly always forgotten about. The tea served like this will often be a fairly cheap, common brand - usually green.

You also may be given a cup of tea in a shop if your purchase is a complicated one. I recently bought a new lap top and the shop assistant handed me tea to sip as she took down the details of my requirements. Also, I recently had my eyes re-tested in order to get new spectacles. Again, a cup of tea was provided. Visit someone in an office or have a formal meeting and tea or water will be provided.

b) You see people walking about with large flasks (not necessarily vacuum flasks) of tea which they sip during the day to rehydrate themselves. Taxi drivers, bus drivers, shop keepers etc all have their tea flask.  Of course, the tea goes cold. I have a vacuum flask, but seldom use it - not a big tea fan. There are shops just dedicated to selling the drinks flasks.

c) There has been a recent fashion for milk tea and bubble tea here, two trends imported from Hong Kong and Taiwan respectively. It is sold from kiosks and mainly attracts younger customers. McDonald's and KFC both do milk and bubble teas.

Bubble and Milk Tea Stall

And Another

And another - there are hundreds of them around!

McDonald's Ice Cream and Drinks Kiosk.

McDonald's Milk Tea Ad

d) There are very formal tea tastings and tea ceremonies, similar in many ways to western wine tastings. These usually take place in tea houses where you can sample teas and purchase the tea for home use. These places can be expensive and some rare teas attract staggering prices. The places doing this pride themselves on preparing the tea perfectly and have their special rituals. I've been a few times, usually with friends, but it's not really my thing. Below is one of the oldest serious tea houses in the city. As you can see, they don't go out of their way to attract custom. Their name implies they are an educational service as much as anything else. Very expensive!

Tea House

Supermarkets and corner shops carry very little tea. This is the entire tea shelving in my local supermarket. Mostly locally grown green tea.

Local Guangxi Tea

The most expensive in the supermarket was this Pu-er Tea (普洱茶 pǔ ěr chá) from Yunnan province. It works out at ¥0.32per gram as opposed to ¥0.08 for the local stuff. However, in the tea houses, prices can go much, much higher!

• By liuzhou
      Today, I was honoured to be invited to lunch in a relatively nearby Miao village, where they were celebrating their good harvest.

Before we could eat we were entertained by the some of the villagers.

These women sang to us.

Some men played their traditional Lusheng instruments.

Then they had a tug-of war between the men and the women. The women won (but there were twice as many women as men!)

Most people just hung around looking good in their best leisure wear.

Finally, we were seated at a table, but before we could eat, we had to toast each other.

These were some of my table companions. Old friends.

Each table was furnished with two dips. On the left chilli, coriander/cilantro, Chinese chives in soy and sesame oil. On the right, duck's blood with chilli. 

Kou Rou - Roasted, then steamed pork belly and taro.

Chicken

If not this chap I had met earlier, then one of his relations.

Chicken and duck giblets stir-fried with vegetables.

Duck - Note beak on left so you are sure what you are eating.

Deep fried carp

Steamed Shrimp

Water Spinach

People watching people eating!

Neighbouring Table

All very amusing

• By liuzhou
      A few days ago, I was given a lovely gift. A big jar of preserved lemons.

I know Moroccan preserved lemons, but had never met Chinese ones. In fact, apart from in the south, in many parts of China it isn't that easy to find lemons, at all.

These are apparently a speciality of the southern Zhuang minority of Wuming County near Nanning. The Zhuang people are the largest ethnic minority in China and most live in Guangxi. These preserved lemons feature in their diet and are usually eaten with congee (rice porridge). Lemon Duck is a local speciality and they are also served with fish. They can be served as a relish, too. They are related to the Vietnamese Chanh muối.

I'm told that these particular lemons have been soaking in salt and lemon juice for eleven years!

So, of course, you want to know what they taste like. Incredibly lemony. Concentrated lemonness. Sour, but not unpleasantly so. Also a sort of smoky flavour.

The following was provided by my dear friend 马芬洲 (Ma Fen Zhou) who is herself Zhuang. It is posted with her permission.

How to Make Zhuang Preserved Lemons
      By 马芬洲

Zhuang preserved lemons is a kind of common food for the southern Zhuang ethnic minority who live around Nanning Prefecture of Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region in China. The Zhuang people like to make it as a relish for eating with congee or congee with corn powder. This relish is a mixture of chopped preserved lemons, red chilli and garlic or ginger slice in soy sauce and peanut oil or sesame oil.

Sometimes the Zhuang people use preserved lemons as an ingredient in cooking. The most famous Zhuang food in Guangxi is Lemon Duck, which is a common home cooked dish in Wuming County, which belongs to Nanning Prefecture.

The following steps show you how to make Zhuang preserved lemons.

Step 1 Shopping
      Buy some green lemons.

Step 2 Cleaning
      Wash green lemons.

Step 3 Sunning
      Leave green lemons under the sunshine till it gets dry.

Step 4 Salting
      If you salt 5kg green lemons, mix 0.25kg salt with green lemons. Keep the salted green lemons in a transparent jar. The jar must be well sealed. Leave the jar under the sunshine till the salted green lemons turn yellow. For example, leave it on the balcony. Maybe it will take months to wait for those salted green lemons to turn yellow. Later, get the jar of salted yellow lemons back. Unseal the jar. Then cover 1kg salt over the salted yellow lemons. Seal well the jar again.

Step 5 Preserving
      Keep the sealed jar of salted yellow lemons at least 3 years. And the colour of salted yellow lemons will turn brown day by day. It can be dark brown later. The longer you keep preserved lemons, the better taste it is. If you eat it earlier than 2 years, it will taste bitter. After 3 years, it can be unsealed. Please use clean chopsticks to pick it. Don’t use oily chopsticks, or the oil will make preserved lemons go bad. Remember to seal the jar well after picking preserved lemons every time.

• By liuzhou
      Perhaps the food-related question I get asked most through my blog is “What's it like for vegetarians and vegans in China. The same question came up recently on another thread, so I put this together. Hope it's useful. It would also, be great to hear other people's experience and solutions.

For the sake of typing convenience I’m going to conflate 'vegetarians and vegan' into just 'vegetarian' except where strictly relevant.

First a declaration of non-interest. I am very carnivorous, but I have known vegetarians who have passed through China, some staying only a few weeks, others staying for years. Being vegetarian in China is a complicated issue. In some ways, China is probably one of the best countries in which to be vegetarian. In other ways, it is one of the worst.

I spent a couple of years in Gorbachev-era Russia and saw the empty supermarkets and markets. I saw people line up for hours to buy a bit of bread.. So, when I first came to China, I kind of expected the same. Instead, the first market I visited astounded me. The place was piled high with food, including around 30 different types of tofu, countless varieties of steamed buns and flat breads and scores of different vegetables, both fresh and preserved, most of which I didn't recognise. And so cheap I could hardly convert into any western currency. If you are able to self-cater then China is heaven for vegetarians. For short term visitors dependent on restaurants or street food, the story is very different.

Despite the perception of a Buddhist tradition (not that strong, actually), very few Chinese are vegetarian and many just do not understand the concept. Explaining in a restaurant that you don't eat meat is no guarantee that you won't be served meat.

Meat is seen in China as a status symbol. If you are rich, you eat more meat.And everyone knows all foreigners are rich, so of course they eat meat! Meat eating is very much on the rise as China gets more rich - even to the extent of worrying many economists, food scientists etc. who fear the demand is pushing up prices and is environmentally dangerous. But that's another issue. Obesity is also more and more of a problem.
      Banquet meals as served in large hotels and banquet dedicated restaurants will typically have a lot more meat dishes than a smaller family restaurant. Also the amount of meat in any dish will be greater in the banquet style places.

Traditional Chinese cooking is/was very vegetable orientated. I still see my neighbours come home from the market with their catch of greenery every morning. However, whereas meat wasn't the central component of dinner, it was used almost as a condiment or seasoning. Your stir fried tofu dish may come with a scattering of ground pork on top, for example. This will not usually be mentioned on the menu.
      Simple stir fried vegetables are often cooked in lard (pig fat) to 'improve' the flavour.

Another problem is that the Chinese word for meat (肉), when used on its own refers to pork. Other meats are specified, eg (beef) is 牛肉, literally cattle meat. What this means is that when you say you don't eat meat, they often think you mean you don't eat pork (something they do understand from the Chinese Muslim community), so they rush off to the kitchen and cook you up some stir fried chicken! I've actually heard a waitress saying to someone that chicken isn't meat. Also, few Chinese wait staff or cooks seem to know that ham is pig meat. I have also had a waitress argue ferociously with me that the unasked for ham in a dish of egg fried rice wasn't meat.

Also, Chinese restaurant dishes are often given have really flowery, poetic names which tell you nothing of the contents. Chinese speakers have to ask. One dish on my local restaurant menu reads “Maternal Grandmother's Fluttering Fragrance.” It is, of course, spicy pork ribs!
      Away from the tourist places, where you probably don't want to be eating anyway, very few restaurants will have translations of any sort. Even the best places' translations will be indecipherable. I have been in restaurants where they have supplied an “English menu”, but if I didn't know Chinese would have been unable to order anything. It was gibberish.

To go back to Buddhism and Taoism, it is a mistake to assume that genuine followers of either (or more usually a mix of the two) are necessarily vegetarian. Many Chinese Buddhists are not. In fact, the Dalai Lama states in his autobiography that he is not vegetarian. It would be very difficult to survive in Tibet on a vegetarian diet.

There are vegetarian restaurants in many places (although the ones around where I am never seem to last more than six months). In the larger cities such as Beijing and Shanghai they are more easily findable.

Curiously, many of these restaurants make a point of emulating meat dishes. The menu reads like any meat using restaurant, but the “meat” is made from vegetable substitutes (often wheat gluten or konjac based).

To be continued