• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

(Houston) Trini Food? Rotis & Doubles

casemnor

I've been spending quite a bit of time in Toronto lately and have become enamoured of picking up a Roti for a quick cheap dinner. Where can a girl find good Trini food in this town?

I found this listing after googling around:

Carib-Tex Roti Shop - more info »

522 Aldine Mail Road, Houston, TX

(832) 524-1431 - 1 review

Anyone been?

• 4 months later...

I've been having to spend some time in Baytown recently and was very surprised to come upon Nio's Roti Grill and Carribbean Bakery on Business 146 at E. Defee. I was even more surprised when the lady behind the counter said they'd been in business for 8 years.

Food is served from a steam table; there is goat, oxtails, beef, chicken, chickpeas, potatoes and I think fish. This is not jerk, it is curry. Roti in India/Pakistan means flat bread, in parts of the Carribbean that bread is used as a 'skin' for a sort of Carribean burrito. For $6 bucks I got a roti about the size of a 3 pound chicken, looking not unlike a legless, wingless chicken ready for the oven, about half chicken, half potatoes. The chicken, oxtails and goat are all prepared and served bone-in.

It was pretty good and I was glad I got to try one. The lady was reluctant to put much of the hot sauce on mine - it contains Scotch Bonnet peppers. I could have gone back to the counter for more but didn't; next time, I'll demand some more.

This is not destination dining but if you're in Baytown and needing a nosh, it's one of the more interesting options and you could do worse!

• 2 months later...

Bruce, do they do doubles?

Anyone else? Still looking for somewhere in Houston. I'm in the Woodlands, so a trip to Baytown would be quite a bit out of the way (but good to know in case the craving really hits.)

I know Houston has a huge Trini population...so where are the roti and doubles? (Besides in the home kitchen!)

There was a sign - can't remember if it was inside or outside - mentioning doubles. Check 'em out on b4 and give 'em a call to find out.

Also, I've seen rotis on the menu at Caribbean Cuisine, 7433 Bissonnet, just down from Sharpstown Hi, but haven't tried them. This place is very popular. I've just had the jerk chicken and tried the small buffet Wednesdays and Fridays. No doubles on the menu. 713-774-7428 - closed Sundays.

I've also heard they're on the menu at Island Resort (or Island Cuisine?), much further out Bissonnet, around Boone, I think?

• 1 month later...