• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tre Piani

Randi

Our company is having a business meeting at the Westin in Princeton and the top execs are looking for a place to meet for dinner afterwards.

They were thinking of Rats, but this will be on a Monday evening, and Rats is closed Mondays. Someone suggested Tre Piani. It looks lovely, and I am hoping someone who has been there can give us a brief review?

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

Our company is having a business meeting at the Westin in Princeton and the top execs are looking for a place to meet for dinner afterwards.

They were thinking of Rats, but this will be on a Monday evening, and Rats is closed Mondays.  Someone suggested Tre Piani.    It looks lovely, and I am hoping someone who has been there can give us a brief review?

I've enjoyed it each of the three times I've been. Good food, nice space and really professional waitstaff. I think your colleagues will like it.

Fwiw, I really don't get what the fuss is about with Rats.

Edited by Jeff L (log)

I've had 2 business dinners for about a dozen people at Tre Piani this year, and second what Jeff L said - the food was very good, and the service was inobtrusive and professional. We sat on the 2nd level both times. For the quality of food and service, the bill was reasonable.

Hope this helps.

The Salt Creek Grill is next door to the Westin. The food is good, but not quite as refined as Tre Piani. The service is excellent and private rooms are available if you are interested. Another bonus is that Monday night is half price bottles of wine.

My husband and I went to Tre Piani for dinner (on the lower level) several years ago and, although the food was fine, the service was a bit obtrusive. At one point during our meal, a guy pulled up a chair to our table and proceeded to serenade us on the guitar. I didn't know if I was supposed to stop eating and watch him or continue with the meal. When he finished his song, he started chatting with us about where we were from, etc. I still don't know who the guy was - maybe an owner? Anyway, it was a bit unnerving.

Also, our waitress was constantly at our table and made strange comments when we finished our food. For example, when she came to pick up our entree plates, she said to me "Boy, you cleaned your plate. You must have been hungry. Or did a bear run through here and steal your food?" Nothing like making the customer feel like a pig! :sad: I couldn't get out of there fast enough.

I went to a fundraiser there a few months ago (in one of the upstairs rooms). Again, the food was fine, but the passed hors d'oeuvres were a little clunky - picture an enormous chicken skewer and a giant bruschetta with dribbly toppings.

Perhaps the service is different upstairs vs. downstairs, but I'll need a few more reviews before I'd venture back.

Thanks everyone!

Our execs will be dining at Tre Piani this week - I will report back.

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne