• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Smokin' Stuff

Daddy-A

Rather than take over Behold my Butt or Smokin' Brisket, I figured an "other" smoking topic was in order ... for all those other items we smoke.

This being Canadian Thanksgiving weekend, it was time to crank up the Bullet and churn out a feast. Included would be smoked sausage, turkey breast and a brisket (brisket detailed HERE).

The sausage came from nwyles ... the deal being I smoked him some sausage, he'd provide it. We smoked this for dinner the day before Turkey Day.

gallery_16561_2912_71789.jpg

I include this photo only to show that Chef Neil is too lazy to tie off his sausage in sections. :laugh:

Smoking time was short ... just under 2 hours.

gallery_16561_2912_88780.jpg

Finished product. Looks like ... umm ... never mind. :wacko:

gallery_16561_2912_94441.jpg

Threw it on top of some cabbage I was braising to help give the cabbage a little extra flavour ...

gallery_16561_2912_3824.jpg

Finished plate with some roasted potatoes.

TURKEY DAY!

gallery_16561_2912_95596.jpg

Turkey breast that had been brined for 24 hours in a mixture of water, apple juice, kosher salt, brown sugar, oranges, cloves and black pepper. To help keep the breasts moist bacon was added under the skin.

gallery_16561_2912_1212.jpg

Finished product ... after just shy of 3 hours smoked over cherry. The bacon was cut up and put into mashed potatoes.

A.

Bacon, just out of the Bradley. A nice 8 pound pork belly hormone and antibiotic free from Burts Farm on Manitoulin Island. Cured 7 days with a bit of honey. Cold smoked for about 6 hours altogether (don't leave hubby in charge of the bacon while you are away), hot smoked for about 2 hours.

Smells great!

Some bacon (pictures here) and a new one for me, Ruhlman's Jagerwurst recipe (pictures here). The bacon was an all afternoon affair, but the Jagerwurst was around 2 hours. Combination of applewood and hickory.(I guess one of these days I oughta figure out how to use imagegullet...)

Edited by Chris Hennes (log)

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org