• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Buying a display kitchen

Mano

I'm in the first stages of doing a total kitchen remodel and have come across two high-end ($35,000+) display kitchens for sale at about 90% off. Has anyone with a beer budget and champange tastes ever bought and installed a display kitchen?

Aside from the obvious caveats such as making sure the cabinets actually fit, is there anything else I should be aware of? Also, my guess is that if I need to buy additional cabinets of the same type I might have problems with color matching.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

Yep -- did it in my last kitchen, and would do it again. I got Snaidero for the price of KraftMaid, and a nice high-style, as well.

I had to have some things made to round out my kitchen -- the fronts for the modular Subzero components, for example -- but it worked out since the display I bought had both color and wood in it, and my appliances were steel.

I'd suggest going through the display piece by piece with the seller and being sure that all the pieces are documented. I'd photograph each and be sure everything is noted -- dings, missing hinges, scratches (even those that can be buffed out), everything. Then take the time to go over it piece by piece when it arrives at your home.

One of the unexpected upsides for me was that the showroom stored the cabinets free of charge while we were waiting to install.

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

I'm in the first stages of doing a total kitchen remodel and have come across two high-end ($35,000+) display kitchens for sale at about 90% off.  Has anyone with a beer budget and champange tastes ever bought and installed a display kitchen?

Aside from the obvious caveats such as making sure the cabinets actually fit, is there anything else I should be aware of?  Also, my guess is that if I need to buy additional cabinets of the same type I might have problems with color matching.

you'll want to check to see that the display pieces have not been cut or had their backs or sides removed or altered to fit the display. sometimes they shave off the back or remove a side panel. you may need to order replacement pieces or employ a good carpenter to repair some of the pieces. I've done this twice before and even the added expense of the repairs and replacement pieces were worthwhile because the cabinets were of the type and quality i already wanted but could not necessarily afford at full price but with all the work were still less than what would have been more easily affordable. 90% is an especially good deal, usually it's more like 50%. best of luck witht he project. where are you located? are you taking both sets i have another kitchen to renovate in the very near future :-)

I'm in PA outside of Philadelphia.

I just learned one kitchen is no longer available and the other may not work because of sizing issues. Others may be available in the next few months. Tthat's fine as we're in no rush.

Glad to see others had good experiences with this. Thanks for the advise about thoroughly checking out the cabinets.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)