• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kingswood

Nathan

from the people behind Ruby's (an always crowded tiny NoLIta Aussie burger joint), it's in a space that if memory serves, was some sort of sushi place on W. 10th, close to sixth ave.

the decor is beautiful. very AvroKesque. there's a downstairs lounge in the works as well. set off tables in the front, a massive open bar in the middle and then the main dining room. service at the bar was good. cocktail list shows some ambition but the usual tendency toward sweetness. small wine list. a fair amount of NZ and Australian producers represented.

started with scallops served with some sort of carrot puree. this was nice, nothing exceptional but everything properly made.

my lamb chops were cooked to the rare side of medium rare...which was fine and nicely seasoned. served with buttered green beans and tomato orzo (which was really good). three small chops...could have been four but the clientele is quite similar to Jane's so I guess that make sense. I was happy with this dish.

my date had the coconut monkfish curry...although sturgeon was substituted on Saturday evening. served over rice, this was pretty much a moqueca. undersalted and bland. she had to add salt. weird, cause my lamb chops were aggressively seasoned.

prices are gentle. this place is basically similar to Little Owl in terms of culinary ambition, has nicer decor (and you don't have to wait two hours) but probably isn't going to be as good.

(it does look like it has a marvelous burger)

from the people behind Ruby's (an always crowded tiny NoLIta Aussie burger joint), it's in a space that if memory serves, was some sort of sushi place on W. 10th, close to sixth ave.

the decor is beautiful.  very AvroKesque.  there's a downstairs lounge in the works as well.  set off tables in the front, a massive open bar in the middle and then the main dining room.  service at the bar was good.  cocktail list shows some ambition but the usual tendency toward sweetness.  small wine list.  a fair amount of NZ and Australian producers represented.

started with scallops served with some sort of carrot puree.  this was nice, nothing exceptional but everything properly made.

my lamb chops were cooked to the rare side of medium rare...which was fine and nicely seasoned.  served with buttered green beans and tomato orzo (which was really good).  three small chops...could have been four but the clientele is quite similar to Jane's so I guess that make sense.  I was happy with this dish.

my date had the coconut monkfish curry...although sturgeon was substituted on Saturday evening.  served over rice, this was pretty much a moqueca.  undersalted and bland.  she had to add salt.  weird, cause my lamb chops were aggressively seasoned.

prices are gentle.  this place is basically similar to Little Owl in terms of culinary ambition, has nicer decor (and you don't have to wait two hours) but probably isn't going to be as good. 

(it does look like it has a marvelous burger)

First off, a note: the space is the one that used to house Jefferson (in its various incarnations).

While I haven't eaten there since the official opening, I did attend a pre-opening special event at Kingswood, and was able to sample a few items:

- a very nice, juicy "mini" burger that was too large to be a slider as described

- some item that involved prosciutto wrapped around a peach and mascarpone cheese with balsamic. Good flavors, but very hard/large to manage as finger food.

- a piece of lightly battered fish that broke in my hand as it was being given to me and promptly got stepped on (with a dipping sauce I didn't get to try as my fish was on the floor)

- a couple of other things (lamb, fries) that appear to be simpler variations of what's now on the menu.

Unfortunately, due to the format of the gathering, I had to sample them all standing, which meant that my (very sharp, if I do say so myself) jacket got about the same amount of food applied to it as my mouth did.

Overall, I'd say the food is good, on a "neighborhood" level. It's certainly got no shot of becoming as good as a Little Owl type place, but if you live in the 'hood, it would be a decent place to grab a bite. And as Nathan noted, the room is very nice...they've really added a lot of warmth and an "organic" quality compared to Jefferson. I'd also say that it's likely to end up being at least as much about the scene as it is about the food itself, which isn't distinctively Australian, but certainly has Aussie elements to it (not that Australia has an outrageously distinctive cuisine to start with).

I would say the food is not Australian. Knowing both of the chefs are British I would hope not. Michael and Ben are very talented cooks coming from good kitchens, Daniel NYC, Le Manior, Rick steins Seafood Restaurant and Anthony's in Leeds, oh and that Gordon Ramsay Gaff. Michael also worked for me. They will do what they set out to do cook good simple food.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

the menu has expanded. an almost awesome spring pea risotto with ramps and pancetta (the negative being that it was too soupy).

a nice menu of $9 bar snacks (generous portions of grilled octopus, crispy beef shins and the like)