• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vegan Soba

TJHarris

Does anyone have a source for vegan Soba noodles. I haven't been able to find any without egg.

Thanks,

Tobin

It is all about respect; for the ingredient, for the process, for each other, for the profession.

Does anyone have a source for vegan Soba noodles.  I haven't been able to find any without egg. 

Thanks,

Are you talking about the actual noodles themselves?

Soba noodles shouldn't be made with egg. The only ingredients should be buckwheat flour, flour (depending on the type), salt and mountain yam powder (again depending on the type).

Here is one from Eden Foods that is definitely vegan.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Does anyone have a source for vegan Soba noodles.  I haven't been able to find any without egg. 

Thanks,

Are you talking about the actual noodles themselves?

Soba noodles shouldn't be made with egg. The only ingredients should be buckwheat flour, flour (depending on the type), salt and mountain yam powder (again depending on the type).

Here is one from Eden Foods that is definitely vegan.

Thanks Kris! Yes the noodles themselves.

I have been finding quite a few varieties that are using egg whites. I guess I have been shopping the wrong distributors. Eden is just a short stones throw from here. I will give them a call.

Tobin

It is all about respect; for the ingredient, for the process, for each other, for the profession.