• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

what kind of oven do bagel businesses use?

maui420

hi, i was wondering what kind of oven would be best for bagles.

gas oven with hearth floor made of fire brick?

gas oven with hearth floor made of fire break + steam injection (most expensive)

or do they use a plain convection oven.

thanks!

having lived in nyc for several years, the bagel operations i've seen mostly use hearth stone lined deck ovens. don't know about steam...probably not necessary since bagels are boiled before being baked. some of the older/bigger operations use conveyor/rotating gas ovens.

thanks alanamoana. so the same oven can also be used for pizzas and that is the case.

for cookies, im sure its the convection style to go. well thats at least what i see from the cookie company in the mall ginnys.

having lived in nyc for several years, the bagel operations i've seen mostly use hearth stone lined deck ovens.  don't know about steam...probably not necessary since bagels are boiled before being baked.  some of the older/bigger operations use conveyor/rotating gas ovens.