• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Failing taste buds are shaping the future

Boston Globe : http://www.boston.com/news/globe/ideas/art..._hot/?page=full

Quote : " The conventional explanation is that the nation has an increasingly adventurous palate. Immigration and prosperity have made Americans more sophisticated eaters, "

To add: since when will sophistication for food lead to "heat " ?

Edited by Peter B Wolf (log)
Peter

To add: since when will sophistication for food lead to "heat " ?

Since we Boomers realized we needed the added stimulus, that's when.

I've noticed my sense of smell is much less sharp than it used to be. Smell and taste are linked. I love spicy foods. That last doesn't necessarily follow from the former, but the article strongly suggests that it does so more often now.

And the sensation of having your sinuses clear right up after one bite of habanero-flavored anything is nothing to sneeze at.

I also note the article concludes by stating that the marketers face a dilemma:

"We haven't figured out how to market foods like that," said Fergus M. Clydesdale, head of food science at the University of Massachusetts at Amherst, "because 'food for old folks' just doesn't work."

That's simple to fix. Since most of us Boomers have more than a little bit of Peter Pan in us, all they have to do is call these things "grown-up foods for grown-up tastes."

(Fergus M. Clydesdale. They had to make that one up, didn't they? Why isn't he working for Anheuser-Busch?)

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3