• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Boudin Blanc

GordonD

I've got tons of recipes involving boudin noir, but I can't find a single one for all the boudin blanc cluttering up my freezer. I bought it on a trip to Montreal -- it was right next to the boudin noir and I figured what the heck.

The problem is, I haven't the first idea what to do with it. I can't even remember ever seeing it in a dish, unless Irish Breakfast counts.

So, what do I do? Substitute it for boudin noir in one of those recipes with the sauteed apples? Toss it into a risotto? Use it to flavor white beans? Wrap it in pie dough and throw it in the oven?

It is delicate so you want to have it on its own with accompaniments. I like the contrast of the delicate with a good mustard. Some like it sauteed or grilled, but I prefer heated in just under boiling water, hot mustard to dab on sparingly, potato salad, pickled beets, cheese toast- peasant food. But that is just me- no idea what is traditional.

Is it cajun boudin blanc or French boudin blanc? If it's cajun boudin, I like to squeeze the innards out of the casing and put into triangles of puff pastry, and pop in the oven. I eat it with mustard, preferably Maille, and a couple cornichons.

Elizabeth Cullen Dunn

"Sex is good, but not as good as fresh, sweet corn." ~Garrison Keillor